Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Could anyone make a steering wheel spacer for me?
Humbug

posted on 15/10/06 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Could anyone make a steering wheel spacer for me?

The ongoing saga... I need my wheel closer to my chest so I have looked at a number of things. Re-reading an earlier post, it looks like the simplest thing would be to get a spacer for the boss... except that I can find one ready made.

Does anyone have the materials (chunky bit of ali) and tools (probably a lathe and a drill press to make me something?

I am basically after a disc of ali say 40-50mm thick, 87mm wide with a 40mm hole through the centre. Ideally I also need the other holes drilling as well, but I am guessing (hoping) that those wouldn't be so difficult to do with a normal drill.

If anyone can help, please U2U or email me with info and an idea of cost.

Thanks

[Edited on 15.10.2006 by Humbug] Rescued attachment Steering wheel boss details.jpg
Rescued attachment Steering wheel boss details.jpg

Humbug

posted on 15/10/06 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaLviNx
Hi

No lathe needed just time and effort. a trip to local steel scrappie a rummage around take a bit of 2mm flat plate(mild steel will do) scribe two rings on it cut out with jigsaw drill holes on each ring to suit both wheel & boss, you have your end plates done, & look for a bit of steel tube of a suitable dia, cut to the required length MiG the end rings to the tube, viola your extender is done.

no lathe needed... just a welder, which I don't have, and welding skills, which I don't have, either unfortunately

Humbug

posted on 15/10/06 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hicost
I have a Myford super 7 in the garage and many other tools. You are welome to come over and I will turn one down for you. I am in West Sussex RH123TH just outside Horsham.

James

Thanks - that sounds like a possibility. Could you U2U or email your phone number so we could have a chat about it?

russbost

posted on 15/10/06 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
You can buy these from Demon Tweeks - Surely??

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
RazMan

posted on 15/10/06 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
How about a quick release boss? It will give you about 60mm IIRC

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 15/10/06 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
... Spacers not available from Demon Tweeks for Mountney traditional style wheels, as far as I could see

... quick release boss is not very locost

Thanks for the various replies though

RazMan

posted on 15/10/06 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Oooh I don't know
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/D1-SPEC-Quick-Release-Snap-off-Boss-Kit-Universal_W0QQitemZ120041225293QQihZ002QQcategoryZ40195QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZView Item

[Edited on 15-10-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 15/10/06 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
This one.

ebay item .
What kind of column have you used. I got mine closer by undoing the alloy mount clamped round the convoluted section and pulling it further through
Steering column mount
Steering column mount
This was what mine looked like.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mark Allanson

posted on 15/10/06 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Make your own, the mounteny boss you have will not pass SVA without a fair bit of modification. I cut the ford one out of the original wheel and made a deformable boss, bolted to the upper mount ring of the original mountney boss. Rescued attachment Column Extension.jpg
Rescued attachment Column Extension.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Humbug

posted on 16/10/06 at 05:46 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks again for the further info

ebay quick release boss looks OK

Might try moving the column nearner

Standard Mountney boss passed SVA OK no problem!

GaryM

posted on 16/10/06 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
Check out http://boardroom.wscc.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=8;t=42548

It looks he can supply blanks.

Cheers
Gary

Humbug

posted on 16/10/06 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GaryM
Check out http://boardroom.wscc.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=8;t=42548

It looks he can supply blanks.

Cheers
Gary

tried him - seems the mountney ones are too big

02GF74

posted on 16/10/06 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
rally design or buton power do a cllapsible spacer thing. looks like two disc and between them are 4 angled plates.

I don't think the pcd is comaptible with mountney boss but I have another disc to adapt between the two.

Humbug

posted on 16/10/06 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
ebay item .
What kind of column have you used. I got mine closer by undoing the alloy mount clamped round the convoluted section and pulling it further through
Steering column mount
Steering column mount
This was what mine looked like.

Problem solved (and at zero cost)! Thanks... I didn't realise the column could be pulled through the clamp thingy, as I bought my car as a rolling chassis with the column already fitted.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.