Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Using an old kit as a donor
Browser

posted on 12/1/07 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Using an old kit as a donor

Has anyone done this? Get summat like an old Dutton Phaeton, strip all of the OE manufacturer parts off and trhow away the Dutton bits and you've got many of the necessary parts for a book build. Or is scrapping an older kit to make a newer one heresy?

jonno

posted on 12/1/07 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
just do it properly
graememk

posted on 12/1/07 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
just buy a dutton and use it, there ugly but cheap, still loads of fun and people still turn there heads as you go past, admit there laughing but still a head turner

macnab

posted on 12/1/07 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jonno
just do it properly

You kidding? I think that’s great idea. I have logbooks for kit cars I broke up ages ago that someday will miraculously drive out my garage I just keep on sorning them, he he he. SVA my bottom...

Pity I don't have one that would suit the locost

AHHHHH!!! EDDIE what on earth have you been drinking!?!?! Rescued attachment images.jpg
Rescued attachment images.jpg

Ketchup

posted on 12/1/07 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
sva testing, has got to be a must surely? Its just the final part of the car buliding process, i will be as proud of getting a pass as i am for just bulding my car!

It would be easy to just go and use the id from a dutton, but that to me is as bad as doing a cut and shut motor, or ringing a car, which is basically what is being suggested is it not?

The whole point of an sva, ignoring the red tape, is to make sure that the cars we build are safe. We all prob think we are up to the job, but i am more than happy to fork out the cash for someone to pull my car to pieces in a test if need be, i would rather someone confirms that i have bulit my car well enough, and not just rip off another motor because i am scared it might not pass!

DIY Si

posted on 12/1/07 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think he's suggesting skipping the sva, just using an old kit as a supply of bits for a new(er) one. It would save cutting up a sierra and hoping it has the right diff ratio, poss getting another engine etc. It does have a certain appeal, but equally means carving up another kit to do it. Somewhat different from carving up a sierra.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Ketchup

posted on 12/1/07 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
i dont think "browser" was suggesting skipping the sva, i know from experience it would be easier to get the engine etc out of a dutton than a rotton old sierra, which are also getting thin on the ground now, i am all for recycling, just not the v5's! But i am sure noone on here would do such a thing
Andy S

posted on 12/1/07 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
"SVA my bottom" seems a clear enough.

Duttons are better than many people give them credit for - and when you get right down to it apart from the registration to avoid SVA there's not a lot that could be used to build a book car or other LSIS.

As to the looks of a Phaeton - eye of the beholder and all that - I have seen far worse and dynamically they are better than Robin hoods, Locusts, Locosts etc. etc.

At the end of the day its your risk - have an accident and someone gets hurt and your car is incorrectly registered - well I hope it would have been worth it. Plenty of A holes out there doing it though.

Cheers

Andrew

jonno

posted on 12/1/07 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
I think the only parts you could use, are the engine, rear axle & wheels. Is is really worth it. As graememk puts it there ugly but cheap, still loads of fun.
Just drive it, there great fun, for not alot of money.
And macnab i dunno if your joking or not

Ketchup

posted on 12/1/07 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
I can testify that your dutton sticks to the road like poo to a blanket jonno, it dont look too bad either
graememk

posted on 13/1/07 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
sorry richie is this better ?

quote:
Originally posted by macnab
quote:
Originally posted by jonno
just do it properly

AHHHHH!!! EDDIE what on earth have you been drinking!?!?!

macnab

posted on 13/1/07 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote

Oh Eddie your still drinking...!

Sean

posted on 15/1/07 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Must agree with ketchup, the Dutton can be made to handle very well as like him I can testify to, having both driven, passengered and followed it. You see it's all about engineering and not just bolting on the goody bag.
What say you Andy?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.