Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: steering arm taper converter
ecosse

posted on 19/1/07 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
steering arm taper converter

A bit of a mouthfull for a subject line I know but does anyone know where I can get a tapered pin that will fit in my (cortina upright) steering arm that will allow me to use rosejoints mounted to the top of the arm rather than by balljoint below?

Hopefully that all makes some kind of sense but in case it doesn't maybe the pic below will help (raldes product)

Alternatively what type of steel would this require to be made out of (en16?) and would it require to be heat hardened?

Cheers

Alex Rescued attachment RCW01.jpg
Rescued attachment RCW01.jpg

minordelay

posted on 19/1/07 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
They are in the rallydesign catalogue, on the page with the gts stuff on it.
ecosse

posted on 19/1/07 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by minordelay
They are in the rallydesign catalogue, on the page with the gts stuff on it.

If you mean the ones in the pic above they say "steering arm" in the product title but in the detail they say for the upright as a replacement for the transit drag link
And they are maybe a touch hicost for my locost pocket
Certainly the kind of thing I need, but they have to fit the steering arms rather than the upright

Cheers

Alex

24vseven

posted on 19/1/07 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
hi i think mnr have these too
check there web site am sure the link is on here somewhere

ecosse

posted on 19/1/07 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 24vseven
hi i think mnr have these too
check there web site am sure the link is on here somewhere

you are right, just what I was looking for although still too hicost for a tight scot

Cheers

Alex

ecosse

posted on 19/1/07 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Okay, since this seems to be a dead end (unless I want to spend £120) would it be acceptable to simply drill the taper out of the steering arm fit a hi tensile bolt through it and then attach the rose joint directly to the top of the arm?
It would mean using M14 rose joints for the steering (a touch overkill?) but would be a suitably locost solution to the problem.
Would this pass sva okay?

Comments appreciated before I get fed up and start drilling anyway

Cheers

Alex

hughjinjin

posted on 19/1/07 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.secureperformanceorder.com/afcostore/getsubclasses.cfm?ClassID=86&CategoryID=8

this might be a bit heavy duty, I think the shank size is 5/8 and the taper probably won't fit but they could maybe be adapted and are certainly cheap enough!

JoelP

posted on 19/1/07 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
i used a bolt direct through a rose and the steering arm. Worked fine. M14 is a bit large, thats why raceleda etc use converters and smaller roses

13mm bolt fits through without drilling the taper, 14mm would no remove it all anyway.

[Edited on 19/1/07 by JoelP]

Chippy

posted on 19/1/07 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Somebody will probably slag this of, but it has worked. Fill the tapered hole with "JP Weld", let it set then drill out to size you require, (say 10mm). Use a HT bolt with large, (penny), washers each side of the arm, fit your Rose joint and job done. All the JP Weld is doing is filling in the taper. HTH Ray.

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

DIY Si

posted on 19/1/07 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
I would suggest drilling the taper out and then spacing down to a more convenient size if required. Ie, drill a 15mm hole and fit a 1mm thick tube to bring it down to 13mm, or to a 1/2" bolt, whichever is most useful. That or use chippy's idea. Either way, make sure you use large enough washers.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

ecosse

posted on 20/1/07 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Thats more like it, thanks guys

Interesting use of JPWeld (JB?) Chippy, I would have thought it would just breakup with the constant forces on it, but I suppose the big washers would remove any concern over it causing a prob.

So either that or drill it out and sleeve it down to size, nice one, I was worried about drilling the arm, not sure why (maybe just one of those parts i dont like to mess with) but if thats what everyone else does it'll do me too

Cheers

Alex

iiyama

posted on 20/1/07 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
as a matter of interest, how would these get on with SVA man??
Chippy

posted on 20/1/07 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Alex, reference your comment about the JB Weld, I used this to do a temporary repair on a boat prop, when damaged on a trip to the channel islands, just as a get you home job, (big chunk out of one blade), That was over four years ago still using the same prop still going good. (bought a spare, which is in the locker, unfitted). Locost boating!! Think that should give some indication of just what the stuff will stand up to, after all you can even thread it after curing. Regards, Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

ecosse

posted on 21/1/07 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
Hi Alex, reference your comment about the JB Weld, I used this to do a temporary repair on a boat prop, when damaged on a trip to the channel islands, just as a get you home job, (big chunk out of one blade), That was over four years ago still using the same prop still going good. (bought a spare, which is in the locker, unfitted). Locost boating!! Think that should give some indication of just what the stuff will stand up to, after all you can even thread it after curing. Regards, Ray

Lol...you have convinced me Ray
I've got a couple of M12 rosejoints coming (12mm bolt fits quite neat through the arm) so I'll give the JBweld a go to fill the taper and with a couple of big washers either side for safety it should be just fine

Cheers

Alex

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.