Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Braided brake hoses a warning
givemethebighammer

posted on 25/6/03 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Braided brake hoses a warning

Just took delivery of some braided brake hoses from earls, on the packaging was the following warning:

"If you use an electrical welding kit on a vehicle fitted with braided steel hoses, you must ensure that the system is adequately earthed. Failure to do so could result in arcing taking place in the steel braid, which in turn will produce holes in the teflon inner pipe. If you are in doubt, REMOVE THE BRAKE HOSES BEFORE WELDING". .... This sounds really scary, never even thought about this one..

andyps

posted on 25/6/03 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I'm trying to figure how this could possibly happen. If welding the car, why would the arc pass throught the brake hoses unless there was an earth along them - very unlikely surely if the car is sitting on rubber tyres or am I missing something?

If there is a way, how would you earth the system (presumably brake system)?

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Metal Hippy

posted on 25/6/03 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Could be up on axle stands or something when welding...?

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

craig1410

posted on 25/6/03 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
If welding, current only flows between the earth clamp and the torch therefore the only way you could get current in your brake hoses is if you clamped your chassis and then welded your wishbone/upright (or vice versa). The rubber/nylon/poly suspension bushes would isolate the chassis from the upright and thus current "could" flow back through the brake hose.

Of course you should clamp as close as possible to the weld site so it shouldn't be a problem normally if you have half a brain...

Cheers,
Craig.

Findlay234

posted on 26/6/03 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
Half the time manufacturers put these clauses in just to cover their own backs, like macdonalds cups of coffee stating 'caution HOT'............... duh no s**t. And tesco own brand peanuts witha label saying 'caution this bag may contain nuts' or words to that effect. The guys who made the brake lines have to consider the fool who will attach his clamp for welding to the end of a wishbone
givemethebighammer

posted on 26/6/03 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
So thinking about it logically this could only happed if you are welding on a suspension arm with the earth clamp on the main chassis or the reverse, welding on the main chassis with the earth clamp on the suspension arm.. Just as long as there are no weird laws (sods being one) that would operate outside this ????

craig1410

posted on 26/6/03 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Just make sure that when welding your chassis you are wearing a rubber wetsuit with flippers, mask and snorkle whilst standing on one leg, 100 meters from your car and making whale noises. That way you can be pretty sure that you can't do any damage to your car...

Usual disclaimer applies...

Cheers,
Craig.
ps. What you said is about right, the clause is designed for the sort of people who are saying to themselves right now, "Where can I buy a wetsuit?"

Peteff

posted on 26/6/03 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
The bushes in the suspension do a pretty good job of insulating the wishbones so if you are welding on the chassis they aren't the best place to earth to. Also if you are welding in diving gear don't get your cylinders mixed up.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

timf

posted on 26/6/03 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
best warning

when i was in the states a couple of years ago the best warning i saw was on a phillips steam iron. it said

do not use on clothes whilst wearing them.

after i had picked myself up i asked why the warning was on there
and i was told that someone had used the iron on steam setting whilst wearing the iron and had successfully sued philips.

also all new winiebagoes have a disclaimer along the lines of do not leave the drivers seat when cruise control is turned on. guess the reason why.

David Jenkins

posted on 26/6/03 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
...on the same lines, all Ruger revolvers have a block of text stamped on the side of the barrel, which can be roughly paraphrased as

"guns are dangerous and can kill if used incorrectly"

Oh? Really?

David

Alan B

posted on 26/6/03 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Tim, the Winnebago story is not true...urban myth apparently.....I believe everthing else is though....

I loved the one on the christmas lights...

"for indoor or outdoor use only"

Hmmm?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
timf

posted on 26/6/03 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
scuse stupidity but isn't a gun designed to kill ?
ned

posted on 26/6/03 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
so you can't use christmas tree lights in space then? but they're ok if they are inside or outside the shuttle?

How about the middle of a doorway where they are neither outdoors or indoors?

I give up...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
givemethebighammer

posted on 26/6/03 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
sad state of affairs when UK produced products are carrying US style disclaimers

OK,so I did look at it and half think it was aimed at idiots, however not being a what you would call a welding expert, thought I should check with you people !!!!

Spyderman

posted on 26/6/03 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Welding

Have none of you ever tried welding a patch under the wheel arch of an old car for the MOT?

As you sit there cramped underneath the wing looking for something to attach the earth clamp to you see that most of the underside of the car is covered in underseal! "Where do I attach this bloody thing to?" you mumble and then you notice that the suspension arm or anti-roll bar has little paint on it. Maybe the adjuster thread on the track control arm?
"Yup, that looks good. A quick wirebrushing will do it"

Then you start welding and wonder why you cant get a good spark. So you turn up the current and try again.
"Ah that's better" and you merrily spark away.
Then you start to smell burning rubber and wonder why your leg is getting wet!
"No, I definately went to the loo before I started. Did I finish that cup of tea?" you think.
As you remove your welding mask you then notice that the brake pipe is not as shiney as it was.

"Did it get splashed with sparks whilst welding?" you wonder. Not realising that the only place where you could find to get a good earth is isolated from the chassis by all those nice new urethane bushes you put on last week.

I suppose you need to be stupid in order to be able to think stupid. Hence I can get straight to the point!

Erm, should I be proud or ashamed that I could work that out?

Terry

Spyderman

stephen_gusterson

posted on 26/6/03 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by timf
scuse stupidity but isn't a gun designed to kill ?

No

apparently in america they are for protection and can be carried as a constitutional right.

The killing bit is just a co-incidence.

I dont wanna be anti american, cos I have been there loads of time and like em. However you have to wonder at this.

A guy had to take his 5 month old son to day care. He put the kid in the car, and drove to work forgetting about said kid. Came out after work to find out he had baked the kid dead in the car at 110 degrees F all day.

Something similar had happened to another guy a few months before.

atb

steve

Rorty

posted on 27/6/03 at 02:20 AM Reply With Quote
Gambling has really taken off here in the last 5-10 years, and the Asian comunity are huge gamblers; they sit at the tables, pi55ing on the floor, so as they don't loose their seat. Meanwhile, their babies are slowly roasting to death in the carparks in 40 degree heat.
It only takes about 12 minutes (according to the expert on TV) for the kids to die. There have been several prosecutions right here in Melbourne in recent years.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

givemethebighammer

posted on 27/6/03 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
nice to hear from you Rorty, long time no post as they say. However this thread is getting way to dark for my liking. ... So I disown it...
DaveFJ

posted on 30/6/03 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
the health and safety data sheet for water (yes there really is one!)
states that in cases of ingestion you should drink water...... go figure!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.