Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wishbones
cjtheman

posted on 28/1/07 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
wishbones

i know it has been covered thousands of times i have done search on it and gone through pages and pages of posts but has anybody come up with a good design on upper and lower wishbones i know that upper wishbones need 22 mm off set instead of 11 mm that the book states
but cant find any thing on the lower wishbones other than there have been failures due to position of the brace plate ( weld in the center of the tube than on top of the tube) any help please before i make them wrong as i have already done so on the bottom bones ( made to book spec ) many thanx
colin

ecosse

posted on 28/1/07 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
i don't know whether you are using tina or maxi bj's but this is what I did for maxi ones, additional weld points are marked in red.
Hope this helps

Cheers

Alex Rescued attachment bottomwishbonetest.jpg
Rescued attachment bottomwishbonetest.jpg

DIY Si

posted on 28/1/07 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Also, try to move the shock mount as far out as possible, as this is one of the main weaknesses, as it puts a large bending load on the bone.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

posted on 28/1/07 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi.

There has been so much discussion on bottom bones that I think that people are reluctant to post there designs, for fear of criticism.

Because mine are stainless I tend to think that maybe my design is non applicable for most of you.
If s/s is constantly flexed it will work harden and crack so I have increased material thickness to combat this.
Tubes are 22mm od x 2mm thick, and plate is 4mm, as are all the brackets.

The Cortina b/j has had the bent edge cut off and additional holes drilled. This enables it to be mounted under the plate rather than above.
IMHO this is stronger as it doesn't rely on the bolts supporting the weight of the car.

Having said this, if I made steel bones I think that I would still stick with the same material thicknesses.
It is my opinion that 3/4" x 16swg tube is not quite man enough. I stress this is just my opinion.

There's a pic in my photo archive but it has been posted on caster threads so you have probably seen it.

Bottom one is to the book, top has the 22mm offset.

Hope this helps.

Paul G

p.s.

Basicly, the design is the same as Alex's above for the Maxi bj's. Nice that.

[Edited on 28/1/07 by 907]

cjtheman

posted on 28/1/07 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
thanks all for your input this is a great site for information
cheers
colin

MikeRJ

posted on 29/1/07 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cjthemanthere have been failures due to position of the brace plate ( weld in the center of the tube than on top of the tube)

That is not the main design flaw. The problem with many wishbones is the straight edge at the back of the shock mounting plate which is a bad stress raiser. Putting a generous radius on this edge to minimise this is a good idea (as shown in the design ecosse posted).

ecosse

posted on 29/1/07 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Should have added (and as per Paul's advice) I went bigger on the tubes 25mmOD x 2mm which is overkill probably, but as the bones are a fair bit wider than standard and as the bottom shock mount will have to be further out than is considered optimal, I went the safe rather than the Chapman route

Cheers

Alex

blueshift

posted on 30/1/07 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
I went for 25mm x 1.6mm wall and a similar design to that shown above. with little fillets where the end of the arms meets the base plate

happily I had a friend who worked with a laser sheet cutter at the time.. he quit since though

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.