Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A Taxing question....
blockhead_rich

posted on 8/3/07 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
A Taxing question....

My car is on SCORN @ present but now ready to get back on the road.

So, if I buy my tax on-line, can I drive the car legally straight away even though I haven't actually got the tax disc (says it takes 5 days to be delivered on the DVLA web site)?

Or, if I get my tax from the post office, do I just need the reg doc + insurance certificate - I don't need an MOT for another 2 yrs (I presume that they will have the forms I need too?)

Rich

scottc

posted on 8/3/07 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
wel...it's an offence not to display your road vehicle license
diyer

posted on 8/3/07 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
I think actually displaying tax is a technicality these days. At the end of the day the law detects tax dodgers by computers now, not by a bobby spotting lapsed discs on parked cars.

regards Simon

Hug a Hoodie!

russbost

posted on 8/3/07 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
If the computer says it's taxed it's taxed (I think)

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
PeterW

posted on 8/3/07 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
If the computer says it's taxed it's taxed (I think)

Nope... The offence is failing to display a valid tax disk.... They can then technically get you for not having tax too, but one outclasses the other.

Cheers

Pete

Neil P

posted on 8/3/07 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
I think you need to consider what's reasonable. If you tax your car using a system implemented by DVLA to make it easier to administrate (for them) and it takes 5 days for them to deliver your disc I think it is reasonable that you should use your car. You've paid to use it and you pay enough for the privilege after all. You do technically commit the offence of failing to display but the existence of your tax can be checked on the computer by police and I am sure no one would attempt to prosecute you on that basis. If they did, your defence would be pretty good and fail to display a VEL is hardly high on the list of priorities anyway. I did mine that way recently and used it whilst waiting for it to arrive. It was there within a couple of days anyway.
MikeR

posted on 8/3/07 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
why not phone up your local police station and ask them - they're a friendly bunch and if ever you do get stopped you can say "i called PC ???? and he said it was ok, at this time on this day".

shows you have zero intent to break the law - if you do get stopped (its non endorsable offence) i can't see a judge doing you.

rjs

posted on 8/3/07 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
why not phone up your local police station and ask them - they're a friendly bunch .

now your having a laugh , friendly bunch of ####ers round here

02GF74

posted on 9/3/07 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
I seem to recall there is no form you ahve to fill in since it is all comouterised.

as for driving and not displaying, you need to get caught first - just put a note "tax in post" in the tax disc holder; if it is taxed there is no problem.

DarrenW

posted on 9/3/07 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
My car was Sorned. I just took V5 and insurance to Poffice and they issued tax there and then. No special forms to fill in (even though Sorn letter quoted a particular V no form).

It was dead simple to do so i recommend a trip to PO and just be prepared to defend questions ref MOT IF they arise.

blockhead_rich

posted on 9/3/07 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Took along my Reg doc + insurance certificate and disc was in my mits within 2 mins.

Now for a long drive some where me thinks.

Rich

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.