Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ABS and Powersteering
greggors84

posted on 15/7/03 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
ABS and Powersteering

I have just got a 2.0l sierra sapphire ghia donor car. I was taking a look at it today and saw that it has ABS and powersteering.

I dont want these on my indy to save complication. Will i just be able to disconnect the extra parts and be able to use the steering rack and brakes as usual.

Thanks

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Rorty

posted on 16/7/03 at 01:58 AM Reply With Quote
AFAIK, power racks are often quicker than non-power racks, therefore, the rack will be much heavier to turn. You'd be better off going for a non-power rack, and it'll be lighter too.
As for the brakes, someone else will probably advise, but again, AFAIK, you'd be better off with non-ABS brakes.
Anyone else?

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 16/7/03 at 05:01 AM Reply With Quote
right there rorty,you will need a new rack and brake master cuy,all the rest is ok,steering column is diff as well

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

DaveFJ

posted on 16/7/03 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Damn - hadn't realised streeing column is different!

How is it different to standard?

theconrodkid

posted on 16/7/03 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
the power rack has bigger diameter splined shaft than manual rack,plenty in the scrappy though

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Mark Allanson

posted on 16/7/03 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Keep the lower part of your power column, the manual one is a cast item which will not take to extending as well as the welded steel power item. Just drill out the rivets at the base of your scrappy bought manual lower section to get the spline clamp which is the correct diameter, then use the bolts from the power one to replace the rivets.
DaveFJ

posted on 17/7/03 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers - happy bunny again now....
greggors84

posted on 18/8/03 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Does that mean i can use the top section of the steering rack. The bit that attaches to the steering wheel.

Also what part collapses and how does it collapse?

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

mackie

posted on 18/8/03 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Arse. We are using the master cylinders from our cortina but we were planning on using the column from our sierra Ghia 4x4 (which has just about everying, even A/C - not bad for a tenner ) Will a column from a power steering sierra fit a cortina or capri rack?
Also, i know this has been discussed before but what's the best rack to use on a +4?

stephen_gusterson

posted on 18/8/03 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
i have used both abs and power steering on my totally non book car. Ads masses of time. Avoid for a lightweight simplistic car like a locost.

The bit that goes on the rack is, as conrod says, a smaller diameter at the UJ end of the rack. However, that bit - from the rack to the triangular steering shaft - can be changed for the correct part - or so it looked when I compared. In fact, my steering shaft is made up of part of a sierra part from a scrappy and my original granada based part.

Most people cut down the rack to improve bump steer - if you dont its actually impossible to fit the power rack as it has the steer shaft going right thro the wishbone mounts. I know the hard way.

I dont know how practical it is to cut and mod a power rack - in any case you would also need the pump and plumbing as non assisted power rack would not pass sva.

the brakes at the wheels and hubs look useable without abs - however the abs master cylinder block is a massive mother, and would need ditching and replacing with a std master cylinder.

unless you really want abs of course.....

atb

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.