Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Diff mounting
auzziejim

posted on 23/7/03 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Diff mounting

Tried offering my diff up to the mounting plates/brackets today and found that the top fixings on my diff are too long to fit between the plates.

How have others fitted a disk braked diff to an Indy?

Cheers

James

James

posted on 23/7/03 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got a 7.5" or 9" (upper mount) diff then?
The most common diff is 7" but there are the above variations aswell. It also means that the crown wheel pinion maybe different aswell.

Someone just the other day was saying there's has a 9" mount and (IIRC) this meant it was an interesting Cosworth Motorsport (or something) variation.

If it's the case the mount is wider than 7" then I'd suspect all you can do is either change the diff or cut out the chassis' mounts and reweld them wider apart.

MK may have other info for you though.

Good Luck,

James

auzziejim

posted on 23/7/03 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
mine must be a 7.5 its about 3/4 of an inch bigger than the mounting bracket. its really pi$$ed me off because iv spent all day cleaning and painting the ba$tard thing and now need to get another!!

So is it just a diff i need or will it be driveshafts and all? maybe i can pick up an LSD cheap from somwhere if it is only the diff i need.

Im in a bad mood now and need a drink! going to the pub!!!!

Cheers

James

Why oh Why cant fords be simple?

gjn200

posted on 23/7/03 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
I got my 4x4 diff,shafts,hubs,callipers from a scrappy down Dowsby fen for £60 there was 2 others as well.

<- Me!

James

posted on 24/7/03 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by auzziejim
mine must be a 7.5 its about 3/4 of an inch bigger than the mounting bracket. its really pi$$ed me off because iv spent all day cleaning and painting the ba$tard thing and now need to get another!!

So is it just a diff i need or will it be driveshafts and all? maybe i can pick up an LSD cheap from somwhere if it is only the diff i need.

Im in a bad mood now and need a drink! going to the pub!!!!

Cheers

James

Why oh Why cant fords be simple?

Bummer!

If you're up to welding ali I suppose you could maybe cut and shut the mount but you'd have to be really careful not to heat the internals so it's probably not practical.

Is your chassis plastic coated? You could move the mounts outwards 1/4 inch each.

Or, looking at the Indy chassis, could you cut a section out of each of the plates around the upper mount hole and to the outside of the plate weld a piece of 6mm plate with a hole.
You never know- it might work!

On the subject of changing the diff- I can't see any reason not to keep the shafts and just swap the diff if it's the one with the push-in shafts. If it the one with the bolt together shafts then be careful as I have a feeling there may have been 2 variations. I only say that as I have a feeling someone told me there's had 8 bolts whilst mine has 6!

Good Luck!

James

splitrivet

posted on 24/7/03 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like another locost problem, you think everythings sussed then something else crops up to kick you in the nuts.
Still you'r a lot wiser for the next car you build (if your that crazy)
Bob

auzziejim

posted on 24/7/03 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
James my shafts have 6 bolts each end so i suppose if i find an LSD then all will be sweet!?

anybody else know if this will work? if not then im gonna cry

Cheers

James

James

posted on 24/7/03 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by auzziejim
James my shafts have 6 bolts each end so i suppose if i find an LSD then all will be sweet!?

anybody else know if this will work? if not then im gonna cry

Cheers

James

Sounds ok. Just measure the diameter between the bolts to make sure the next one is compatible!

It certainly wouldn't hurt to measure the distance between the two 'cups' that the shafts bolt to either- just in case!

HTH,

James

Liam

posted on 24/7/03 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm - I thought most decent bought chassis nowadays accepted the 7.5" diff??? Naughty mr Keenan. Well like the rest say get yourself a lobro-shafted 7" diff (off larger engined sierras or smaller grannies). Doesn't have to be an LSD but wouldnt hurt!

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rorty

posted on 25/7/03 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not too familiar with what the top of the Sierra diff looks like (and too lazy to search others photos), but is it out of the question to have the casting milled to bring it into line with its sibbling?

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kingr

posted on 25/7/03 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Not really, the bolt is not fully enclosed all the way through, only for about 1/2" on each side, the rest is an open channel.

Kingr

James

posted on 25/7/03 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rorty
I'm not too familiar with what the top of the Sierra diff looks like (and too lazy to search others photos), but is it out of the question to have the casting milled to bring it into line with its sibbling?

Good idea but unfortunately the walls are a little thin. They're (IIRC) probably only about 10mm thick each and losing 7mm each might be a little excessive!

Cheers,

James

blueshift

posted on 25/7/03 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Rather handy stripping the donor first and then being able to build the back end of the tunnel and diff brackets to suit

although those with bought chassis have the advantage of being confident theirs was welded by a non-muppet and won't fall to bits.

- ooh, post 101. I'm a Builder! hurrah!

[Edited on 25/7/03 by blueshift]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.