Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Web-based e-mail?
TimC

posted on 14/5/07 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Which Web-based e-mail?

Hi All

My current e-mail supplier is shutting down their service so I'm looking for an alternative. Can anyone suggest a good one?

I'm sadly moving away from a 11 character e-mail address that was perfect.

Suggestions appreciated.

TC

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 14/5/07 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
want a google invite? u2 u
TimC

posted on 14/5/07 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
eh?

flak monkey

posted on 14/5/07 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Gmail, 'tis the way forward.

Now up to 2852Mb inbox space and god knows what the size limit is on attachments.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

nick205

posted on 14/5/07 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Why not register your own domain name and have the ability to create your own email address.

I use a www.doteasy.com who have provide low cost domain registration and a free webhostng package without advert banners. Whilst you may not be interested in the web hosting aspect it also allows you upto 10 email addresses on your domain name and free use of DotEasy's webmail service.

for eg. you could register the domain www.timc.net and then create an email account for "tim@timc.net" and another for "mrstimc@timc.net" and so on.

It's incredibly simple to use and DotEasy support always responds quickly. Total cost is ~£20 per year to maintain the domain name and the peace of mind that no one can change your email address.

Let me know if you want any help getting it set up.

pathfinder

posted on 14/5/07 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hotmail has always been good enough for me but I don’t think its possible to have just your name these days, everyone seems to have random numbers in the address now!
Bluemoon

posted on 14/5/07 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Gmail, as said very good option at the moment...
Humbug

posted on 14/5/07 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Why not register your own domain name and have the ability to create your own email address.

I use a www.doteasy.com who have provide low cost domain registration and a free webhostng package without advert banners. Whilst you may not be interested in the web hosting aspect it also allows you upto 10 email addresses on your domain name and free use of DotEasy's webmail service.

for eg. you could register the domain www.timc.net and then create an email account for "tim@timc.net" and another for "mrstimc@timc.net" and so on.

It's incredibly simple to use and DotEasy support always responds quickly. Total cost is ~£20 per year to maintain the domain name and the peace of mind that no one can change your email address.

Let me know if you want any help getting it set up.

I have done the same thing with www.1and1.co.uk

worX

posted on 14/5/07 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
just don't go for freeserve (or fsmail/wanadoo/orange etc.... all the same!!!) it's a pile of toss!

hth
Steve.

Peteff

posted on 14/5/07 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hotmail

and limit your mail to people in your contacts. I use fsmail for signing up to stuff and it gets more spam than Waitrose.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ricklawn

posted on 14/5/07 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
been on gmail for a while now , no problems at all
Keith Weiland

posted on 14/5/07 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
I Agree with the Google mail suggestions.

If you want your own domain I suggest Register1.net over 1and1 I have used both. 1and1 is a little easier but with register1 you get real support.

Send them a question on there message system and its answered almost immediately and knowledgeably. I even asked them a question at 3am on a Sunday morning and they answered in 15 minutes.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Keith Weiland

posted on 14/5/07 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
want a google invite? u2 u

No invites are necessary anymore. Its out of beta.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
caber

posted on 14/5/07 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for gmail. It is the only address I have that does not get spammed stupid. I am slowly migrating all my personal stuff onto it. I also have trouble sending mails when on the move a lot are rejected because they cannot link ISP to domain name in mail, this is also no problem with gmail.

Caber

Hellfire

posted on 14/5/07 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Here's another for gmail...

Marvellous bit of software!

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.