Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: "V" Twin Indy
RobH

posted on 8/7/07 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
"V" Twin Indy

Have any of you lot out there put a "V" twin bike engine in an Indy.?

A freind of mine would like to put a Suzuki TL1000 or Honda VTR in a light weight sports car and ask me if it would fit in the MK Indy.

What do you guys think ?

Rob

P.S. - My builds coming on well the Pintos rebuilt now and ZX9R carbs are at Bogg Brothers . being rejetted and having a manifold made. I Will post some pics when they come back.

NS Dev

posted on 8/7/07 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have seen a couple of vee twin pheonixes, plus there is a chap on here building a seven with an Aprilia RSV Mille engine in it, plus of course I am building something a little less conventional:

shell on rear corner
shell on rear corner

a Fiat 126 with 2 Aprilia Mille twins in it!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

oadamo

posted on 8/7/07 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
I have seen a couple of vee twin pheonixes, plus there is a chap on here building a seven with an Aprilia RSV Mille engine in it, plus of course I am building something a little less conventional:

shell on rear corner
shell on rear corner

a Fiat 126 with 2 Aprilia Mille twins in it!!

wtf thats gonna fly how far you off finishing it.
adam

Sebastian

posted on 8/7/07 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
The Dutch MK agent build one with a RSV Mille in it, and has it for sale on his website with some pics, so yes a V-twin fits in an Indy.

Check out his site www.haselier.nl go to the menu Sportscars than go to Sportscars verkoop (sales) and you see an Orange Indy click on the picture and you will see the other pics.

Cheers,
Sebastian.

t.j.

posted on 8/7/07 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
How do you keep does two engines coupled together?

One wheel at a time or both shaft to one another?

I allways wonder how two engines can pull at a time.

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

Catpuss

posted on 8/7/07 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Having a VTR thou I wouldn't think it would be that good for a car. Its only about 100 bhp (more soft delivery) but the real big problem is the reputation for the cam chain tensioners to let go when closing the throttle at high rpm. Apparently snapping the throttle shut is known the cause the springs to snap in the tensioners.

Look on the vtr100.net (IIRC) forums. Loads of people have had problems. Usually solved by going with manual tensioners or putting a tube in there that acts as a catcher to stop the tensioner going all the way back in.

Now a gear driven SP1 engine could be interesting (if a little expensive).

A TL Thou engine (or two) could be good. I bet there are a few older ones around as the TL1000S had a reputation for cracking the shock mount or just plain crashes (As seen on a TL1000S number plate "My other violent slapper is at home"

RobH

posted on 8/7/07 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that Sebastian I would never of found those pics.

I will show my freind.

Thanks Rob

pathfinder

posted on 8/7/07 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
I have got an rsv mille in my velocity (there are photos in my archive if you want a gander).

The rsv is a 60° v and only just fits, I would think that a vtr or tl (both 90° v’s) would cause huge problems with prop alignment.

RobH

posted on 8/7/07 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Catpuss

I think your right about the VTR SP1 being the better choose, just need to find one at the right price.

I would think that a later TL engine with throttle bodies would do a good job. May be M1 Salvage could help .

http://www.m1salvageandbreakers.co.uk/

Thanks Rob

RobH

posted on 8/7/07 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Pathfinder

That is a good point.

Thanks Rob

[Edited on 8/7/2007 by RobH]

nitram38

posted on 8/7/07 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by t.j.
How do you keep does two engines coupled together?

One wheel at a time or both shaft to one another?

I allways wonder how two engines can pull at a time.

Check out Russ Bost's Furore. Each engine (2 of them) drive a seperate wheel and it is F***ing fast!

NS Dev

posted on 9/7/07 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
On mine they are (or in a few evening will be! ) physically linked.

This is both mandatory in aurograss racing rules and (sorry Russ!!) very wise in my book!!!

I have a large shaft connecting both engines and acting as a "locked diff", pretty much a spool diff with a drive sprocket on each output flange if you see what I mean, will photo later.

I am using 630 section chain from each engine, and will be running both engines on DTA S60 Pro ecu's, with mapped injection and ignition, hoping to make 145-155hp per engine. (later ones are 143hp as std, they also rev to 11,000 which is not bad for a thou twin)

Throttles will be on adjusters on the cables to get equal opening (set up on dial gauge to begin with) clutches are hydraulic as std and just use a normal girling master cyl with a tee piece in the line. Gear linkages will be cable with adjusters to synch the shifts.

[Edited on 9/7/07 by NS Dev]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 9/7/07 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
PS the Aprilia Mille engines are MUCH cheaper than the suzuki TL's, more powerful and are also apparently much more robust.

I paid £1000 for 2 x 2004 sub 4000 mile engines with all ancills ( and numbers still on them)

Minicooper

posted on 9/7/07 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Just a quick question NS Dev, did you manage to get your couplings sorted? I'm probably not going to use my coupling from GB engineering now as I have managed to do it a different way

Cheers
David

NS Dev

posted on 11/7/07 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

yep, I machined a pair of blanks from EN24T bar and my mate machined the reverse sprocket profile into them in 100 passes each on his pantograph engraver using a 4x plot on acetate as a copy, fot them on to 3 thou so I was happy enough at that, the error will bed/wear out of them! Paid him with a spare engine and box I had laying about!

Finished the countershaft too now, will photo and post cos I am quite proud of it!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.