Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Copper to rubber fuel hose?
Colnago_Man

posted on 24/9/07 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Copper to rubber fuel hose?

Morning,

How do I join my rubber fuel hose that is connect to the carbs to the copper fuel pipe that runs to the tank? Is it just a simple case of slipping the
the hose over the copper the pipe and securing it with a hose clip, or do i need to flare the end?

mistergrumpy

posted on 24/9/07 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
I've not flared the end just put a fuel clip on and it holds fine. Some people say use two clips and some insist on flaring but it works fine for me.

stevec

posted on 24/9/07 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Some people solder an olive over the end of the copper pipe to help secure it, Use proper fuel pipe clips though.
Steve.

RazMan

posted on 24/9/07 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
You need to flare the end to prevent the hose from blowing off under pressure. Also don't use a Jubilee clip - use a proper fuel hose clip which won't pinch.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 24/9/07 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
To be safe I usually solder an olive about 5mm from the end of the pipe to produce the raised section usually found at such joints to prevent the pipe pushing off under pressure.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mistergrumpy

posted on 24/9/07 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
There you go, different people different views

iank

posted on 24/9/07 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevec
Some people solder an olive over the end of the copper pipe to help secure it, Use proper fuel pipe clips though.
Steve.

This trick is shown in the current 'complete kitcar', looks reasonable if you don't have the kit roll a bead onto it. I don't think you really need anything on pipes for carbs as the pressure isn't high enough, but for injection pumps better safe than sorry.

While it isn't a problem on carb engines (or low mileage 'weekend toys' you shouldn't really use copper for fuel on injection engines. The copper dissolves a tiny amount in modern fuels which can be just enough to block injectors.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Colnago_Man

posted on 24/9/07 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
4 different opinions in 8 mins, thanks all.

Think I will go for the soldering an olive, the extra peace of mind is worth the 5 minutes work and 10p cost.

BenB

posted on 24/9/07 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
It depends

IE is this pipe / rubber join before or after the pump? If its the before the pump it's unpressurised so there's no need.

After the pump it's going to be a good idea to have some form of securing device like an olive or a soldered ring of wire.

Catpuss

posted on 24/9/07 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Well the fuel pump on the pinto has flares at the connection points, so I would tend to go with the extra security Ford think it needs and put something there.
rusty nuts

posted on 24/9/07 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel pressure on a carb system is very unlikely to get above 5psi Use decent fuel pipe clips and you won't need to flare the pipe although if you can its not a bad idea. Hows that for sitting on the fence?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.