Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: PS3
greggors84

posted on 14/10/07 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
PS3

Does anyone know what is happening with the PS3? They have now launched a 40gb one but it is no cheaper than the 60gb one really as most deals for the 60gb one comes with 2 games for £350 and the 40gb with no games is £300. Also the 40gb one is not backwards compatible with ps2 games and doesnt have a couple more features.

Someone told me they are stopping selling the 60gb one which is why the price drop to shift them. I was going to wait until after christmas hoping they come down in price again.

Have done a search but cant really find any news about them on the internet.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

MattCraneCustoms

posted on 14/10/07 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
I seriously doubt they will stop selling the 60Gb model. In US and Japan they released the 40, 60 and an 80gb model iirc, and didnt plan on doing the same over here. but due to the high price of the 60 they released the 40 just to appeal to the lower end of the market. Shop around and youll get a 60 for the right price. Far more worth it than the 40gb.
Regards
Matt

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 14/10/07 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
i just moved to the US from wales and bought an 80 Gb PS3 with a game for $600~£300

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Hellfire

posted on 14/10/07 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
I was considering one but the extreme high price of it doesn't justify the benefits of the graphics.

IMO Sony have not researched there core market at all/enough. The Wii is an awesome machine and Microsofts XBox is loosing money for MS for every unit they sell (allegedly) just to gain market share (and being successful). lue ray isn't reliable/proven enough.

Basic fo par in every respect... well aimed MS!!!!

Steve

SixedUp

posted on 14/10/07 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
The story I hear is that the 60GB model is being phased out in Europe. It will be replaced by the 40GB model. The USA gets an 80GB model (with more ports etc) for the same price we will pay for the stripped down 40GB model. AFAIK there is no current plan for the 80GB model to be sold in the UK. Sony's position is that the new 40GB model has all the functionality that most European consumers require, and that if you want more than that then you can extend it with USB hubs, USB card readers, USB disks etc etc. Backward compatibility with PS2 is not seen to be a big issue now. Importing a US PS3 is an option, but bear in mind that although the PS3 games are not region-locked, the blue-ray movies are - so you'd be stuck with only being able to play US (region1) blue-ray movies on it, if that's important to you. I'm not sure what the position is with PS2 games - were they region-locked?

Anyway, see http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=84877 for a little more info.

My personal view is that if you're going to get one, it's probably worth getting the 60GB version while you can.

Cheers
Richard

greggors84

posted on 14/10/07 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
A mate has a Jap PS3, as said the games arnt region locked but the old PS2 ones are so he cant play his old games.

Liam, have to gone over to the US for work? Have trouble getting a visa or do you have a member of the family over there.

Thinking about doing the same myself.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Gav

posted on 15/10/07 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Ive got a PS3 with 60GB and i think its actually pretty damn good and competitive cost wise when compared with a HTPC, the only thing that the PS3 carnt do right now is PVR but that is coming first quarter 2008, but i already have SkyHD so im not to bothered about that, the real bonus for me is using it with TVersity to stream video ive downloaded from 't'interweb and it works very very well.
Also we have a BluRay player, compare the price of standalone BluRay players to a PS3 and the PS3 becomes evan more attractive.

Dont get hooked up on the drive sizes either these are just laptop sized drives and can be replaced very easily for larger one, you can evan backup/restore your saved games to pen drive/usb disk.

The PS2 game compatability isnt a huge issue for me, i have however bought several secondhand PS2 games(GT4, God of war etc) to play while waiting for PS3 games to come.

I think its important to note that the PS3 really isnt as mature as the XBox 360 et al yet, give the PS3 another year or so for developers to get their heads round the Cell processor more and i think you'll see some real leaps and bounds in graphics and gameplay.

[Edited on 15/10/07 by Gav]

Hellfire

posted on 15/10/07 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Gav,

Whilst I agree with you about the X360 being a mature console... for developers to realise the potential of the machine there has to be a reasonable demand to justify there initial outlay on programming etc to reclaim moneies and make a profit. The X360 and Wii are both outselling the PS3... without the competitive pricing structure, consumers will be put off and this in turn will deter developers.

Remember the SEGA Dreamcast?

Steve

Marcus

posted on 15/10/07 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Personally, I bought the PS3 mainly for the Blu-Ray drive. The movies I've seen so far on it have been stunning. Christmas will tell how things are going, but I'll put money on the PS3 overtaking the Xbox. PS Colin McRae Dirt is brilliant (even if it is a bit Americanised) with almost double the framerate of the 360.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 15/10/07 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
PS3 SALES LINKETY LINK

Sony are going to HAVE to do something... they are falling behind with every month.

Having said that I still wouldn't mind a PS3...

Steve

Gav

posted on 15/10/07 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Yep totally agree with you their steve, however i know of 3 guys at work who initially got Wii's and got bored of them within a month, perhaps its the target audience i dont know but all 3 of them traded them in for PS3's and are far happier with them due to the current and potential multimedia capabilites(games aint bad too ). the Xbox360 never really got my jucies flowing and the wii for me was just a little gimmicky and i think appeals to a younger audience.
I think by chistmas you will be able to get a pretty decent price on a PS3 evan if it does have a smaller drive.

[Edited on 15/10/07 by Gav]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.