Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help...Can't release brakes!
pdw709

posted on 27/8/08 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Help...Can't release brakes!

I've had my wheels/rear axel dimsantled on my Mojo for the past 6months whilst I've been replacing my engine, but now i've come to re-assemble it the brakes are stuck together and I can't separate the disk pads - is there a trick that i'm missing?

For the record I have completely disconnected the handbrake and even bled the oil from the bleed nipple so there is no residual force down the break line but the things still wont open!

I'm also not sure whether these are standard MR2 parts or simply aftermarket ones.

Brakes
Brakes

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Phil

andyharding

posted on 27/8/08 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Try screwing the piston back in rather than just trying to push it (you prob need a piston wind back tool).

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

Miks15

posted on 27/8/08 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
can you unbolt the carrier so the pads slide out? then get a big clamp on the piston to force it back up? this is what i did when a similar thing happened on my moped dont know if it will work

mackei23b

posted on 27/8/08 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Yes the piston needs wound back in as it has the handbreak on it.

Take the caliper of the mounting bracket to release the pads and then wind the caliper in, you'll find a slot in the piston to fit the windback tool, though a file may provide a good fit if you don't have a tool.

Cheers

Ian

owelly

posted on 27/8/08 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
It could be that the piston has popped out too far and has jammed in the cylinder. Or try using an angle grinder wheel key to wind the piston back in.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pdw709

posted on 27/8/08 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated.

Phil

pdw709

posted on 9/9/08 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Following all of the previous advice I removed the pads and have now acquired a brake caliper/wind back tool but I still can't get them to open.

Brake Caliper
Brake Caliper

What am I doing wrong?

By using some long nose pliers I'm able to turn the centre "screw"; when I turn it open the piston extends further however turning it the otherway will not retract it any shorter!

At this stage i'm really tearing my hair out!!!!!

Phil

mad-butcher

posted on 9/9/08 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
apply pressure to the piston while winding it back in,
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.