Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra upright dimensions
Echidna

posted on 12/10/08 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra upright dimensions

There is a Ford Sierra upright drawing circulating through the Locost forums. I am referring to this

After i made a check measurement to my actual Sierra upright, i saw that this drawing is not that accurate. For example the distance from the centre of the hub to the steering arm centre is NOT 110mm but 120mm. Rescued attachment Photo-0106.jpg
Rescued attachment Photo-0106.jpg

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Miks15

posted on 12/10/08 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
The diagram shows the dimensions to the actual balljoint, not the hole. Mabye this is why? Am i right in thinking that when in its right orientation, the steering arm is angled?

Have you checked the other dimensions? When i come to make my upright i will be using this as a guide to dimensions to keep the right suspension set up

mr henderson

posted on 12/10/08 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at the picture, and at the diagram, it is clear that there is a discrepancy.

Have you found any others yet, Echidna?

John

Echidna

posted on 12/10/08 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
The diagram shows the dimensions to the actual balljoint, not the hole. Mabye this is why? Am i right in thinking that when in its right orientation, the steering arm is angled?

Have you checked the other dimensions? When i come to make my upright i will be using this as a guide to dimensions to keep the right suspension set up

The centre of the ball of the ball joint should be always at the same point in space, never mind the angle of the trackrod end.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Echidna

posted on 12/10/08 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
Looking at the picture, and at the diagram, it is clear that there is a discrepancy.

Have you found any others yet, Echidna?

John

Not yet, because i must fit the upper and lower balljoints, i must then find exactly where the "ball centre" is and it's a pity to ruin the self-locking nuts...

Echidna

posted on 12/10/08 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
From a first check the "10" and "5" dimensions seems about right, not 100% sure about the "5" dimension though!

The dimension "110.89" and "89.62" seems to be accurate too! Rescued attachment Photo-0105.jpg
Rescued attachment Photo-0105.jpg

Echidna

posted on 12/10/08 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
... Rescued attachment Photo-0106.jpg
Rescued attachment Photo-0106.jpg

Litemoth

posted on 12/10/08 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Looks about right to me.

The steering joint hole is inclined and isn't how the the sketch suggests. The 110mm dimension is the blue arrow dimension.

Description
Description

[Edited on 12/10/08 by Litemoth]

Echidna

posted on 12/10/08 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
The inclination is a slight one and by no means you could come with a 110mm dimension. Again:

[Edited on 12/10/08 by Echidna] Rescued attachment Photo-0107.jpg
Rescued attachment Photo-0107.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.