Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Has anyone made there own vintage style seats
Dale

posted on 1/2/04 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone made there own vintage style seats

I have been searching the net for a while and here and the other locost groups but cant find anyone who has gone through the process of making there own seats. Not the type in the book but racing style seats. I think I need a lower back vintage style seat as my car more resembles a 30,40 racer and I dont think the hiback ones will look right. I saw a site where a guy from south america was builing his own (high back I think glass or carbon ones) but I lost the link and cant find the sight again.
Any help or a point in the direction of a site to show how to build your own would be great.
Thanks
Dale

Terrapin_racing

posted on 16/2/04 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, done both aluminium and glassfibre. Material for glass from either glassplies in north west of CFS. Both on web.
Making the mould is a pain. If you can Alloy weld then no problem (having said that if your not worried about the weight 16g mild steel is easy to cut?) - lots of trimming firms that will cover for you.
I'm using a Kirkey alloy seat in the Terrapin)

[Edited on 16/2/04 by Terrapin_racing]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bob C

posted on 16/2/04 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
You should lay up the glass fibre directly on the bum of the intended driver for that "perfect" fit.
Hot water soap & wedges to remove the butt - sorry buck in the normal way
Bob C

pbura

posted on 16/2/04 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
No help on the seats, except to say that a tucked and rolled bench would look the business, IMO.

The car's looking great, Dale!

Pete

Pete

Dale

posted on 17/2/04 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the feedback, I may have lucked into getting some tan leather rear benches from 2004 crown victorias(sometimes the robots bend the frames and the rest is sent back to the seat builders as scrap) If this works out then it may be lowback similar to the book but with some curl around for the shoulder if I can work it out. Only problems with this is my wife is a foot shorter than me and I want her to be able to drive- but I should have room on passengers side even with seat ahead -- or make moveable peddles and steering wheel.
Thanks
Dale

Dale

posted on 17/2/04 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the feedback, I may have lucked into getting some tan leather rear benches from 2004 crown victorias(sometimes the robots bend the frames and the rest is sent back to the seat builders as scrap) If this works out then it may be lowback similar to the book but with some curl around for the shoulder if I can work it out. Only problems with this is my wife is a foot shorter than me and I want her to be able to drive- but I should have room on passengers side even with seat ahead -- or make moveable peddles and steering wheel.
Thanks
Dale

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.