Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MDF Dash
mad4x4

posted on 10/11/03 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
MDF Dash

MDF Dash

OK I think, with the other thread we have the bottom of the dash sorted, But how do you plan to do the top to the scuttle.

Does the Dash go behind the lip on the scuttle? Infront of the Lip on the scuttle?. Or a mcahined/routed slot into the side of the MDF.

If the Dash is infront of the Scuttle how do you seal the dash to the scuttle.?

If the Dash is behind the lip on the scuttle (recessed) How do you finish the lip of it looks good?

I most of these questions are valid for an alloy dash etc.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

Hellfire

posted on 11/11/03 at 02:55 AM Reply With Quote
Scuttle/Dash locations...

On the MK Indy I believe the dashboard goes in front of the scuttle. Though, as with all things "Kit" it's down to individual preference. I understand your concerns regarding the thickness with MDF, but I'm sure with Aluminium or Plastic it does have to be finished off well to be neat. However, the scuttle would too even though it is facing down..

wicket

posted on 11/11/03 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
I've made the dash from MDF also & going to fit it behind the scuttle flange with a trim piece on the outer face of the flange. Both pieces will be covered in black expanded vinyl (p/n 25 from Woolies Trim). The dash is held in place with c/sk screws fitted through the scuttle flange with nuts on the inside to give blind fixings, the screw heads will be covered by the trim piece. The gap between the dash and trim will be filled with matching piping.
I will put couple of pictures in the archive tomorrow showing both pieces in place, the white finish is a sealing coat before covering.

CairB

posted on 11/11/03 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Just pipped by wicket, I used aluminium cobered with foam, then vinyl, used rivnuts into the scuttle and M6 cross head screws. I sandwiched piping between the dash and the scuttle.

See Dash Picture

Lost the big wheel and pudin stick now tho'.

Cheers,

Colin

SeaBass

posted on 11/11/03 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
We made an MDF dash, good for prototyping gauge positions etc + you can fill holes - use the router to radius bottom lip etc. Instruments were housed in some machine turned ally, then covered with Acrylic which is easily removed after test. The dash was covered and is attached to the car using woodscrews and washers through the lip into the MDF.

Pictures: In Progress
With Instruments
Covering Using Vinyl Cloth
Final Result

These pics are in the Build Record with others below.

Cheers

locoboy

posted on 11/11/03 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Seabass,

Have you done away with the column mounted switchgear?

Only reason i ask is that i like how you have made use of the space available by removing the steering column coweling.

How did you cut the holes for the speedo and rev counter, by hand or with hole saw?

[Edited on 11/11/03 by colmaccoll]

ATB
Locoboy

mad4x4

posted on 11/11/03 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Piping ------ Bloody Piping. Of course never thought of that!!!!

Cheers.

Onward ......

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

SeaBass

posted on 11/11/03 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Colmacoll,

Still using a modified version of the Sierra Indicator/Flash Main/Swith Main stalk with the hazard switch lopped off the top and the casing trimmed. Ditched the other stalk! Space is pretty tight...

The holes were cut with a trepanning bit, sometimes known as a tank cutter. This can easily be set to the right size. Holesaws in my experience whilst being fine for woods, tend to vibrate with sheet in aluminium and results are poor. This is however using cheap holesaws not the TCT variety which may well be better...

Browser

posted on 12/11/03 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
My only concern with using MDF would be the weight as it isn't the lightest of materials. Do those of you who have gone this route feel as though it is a greta penalty or not. I appreciate it is easy(ish) stuff to work with, especially if you own a router (knew I bought it for some reason).
P.S. To those thinking of using it, don't forget to use respiratory protection, the dust given off when machining MDF is very harmful.

MikeR

posted on 12/11/03 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
maybe i've missed something here but ..... doesn't MDF react badly to water ?
Ben_Copeland

posted on 12/11/03 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Most people cover it in vinyl.... so it's not very likely to get wet !

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

steve m

posted on 12/11/03 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have posted some comments in the sva column re how to fit a dash etc

steve

SeaBass

posted on 12/11/03 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
We sealed our MDF by painting and flatting back several times to prevent water ingress. Don't count on the vinyl to protect against the water, damp from the atmosphere will make it swell fairly rapidly. Or use exterior grade, usually green (with even nastier dust due the resins used in manufacture)...

Cheers

madforfishing

posted on 12/11/03 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
SeaBass is quite right, MDF sucks up water, even water vapour like a sponge and will swell like hell in no time at all.
I suggest you seal it with a watered down PVA Glue solution and then when dry - under coat, then a couple of coats of good quality gloss paint.
Seems like overkill but I wouldn't want to replace mine after cutting all those holes and faffing about to fit it.
Do wear a mask though, or you'll cough for a week.

It's official...today I have Pneumonia! (not from cutting MDF though)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locoboy

posted on 12/11/03 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
my experiance for what its worth.

Cut my boot liner from MDF a good 8 weeks ago, left some off cuts of the 10mm in the garden uncovered, cleared them up yesterday and they didnt look swolen at all..........cue vernier......

10.6mm max size, either i got lucky or it doesnt swell as much as folks think under heavy soiling!

under padding and vinyl it wolld go un noticed

ATB
Locoboy

Hellfire

posted on 12/11/03 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
10mm MDF

I have 10mm MDF around my bath of all places... I sealed it with PVA as already stated and it's not budged in the 11 years it's been there! (Though I do always shower! ) No serious, it seems fine, but I agree about the over-weight issue, it is incredably heavy!

splitrivet

posted on 13/11/03 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
As sea bass said you can buy exterior grade MDF which would solve the problem but I think painting or sealing with MDF would crack it its not like your building a boat out of it is it !!
If your after a decent quality holesaw go to www.whdirect.co.uk they do an 18 piece set sized from 22 thru to 127 mill for less than a tenner,if youve got a JTF warehouse close to you and you have a card for em the same set can be had from them for about a fiver plus VAT. We use em at work for cutting out patch panels and they are spot on.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 7/1/04 at 12:38 AM Reply With Quote
If MDF sucks up the water some one better tell these guys as they build their locusts out of the stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.locustenthusiastsclub.fsnet.co.uk/index.htm

SeaBass

posted on 7/1/04 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Painting or sealing would crack it?? Better tell all those rubbish DIY shows that are constantly painting it then Bob...

As for locusts, never did like the sound of a wooden car anyway...

Cheers

Ben_Copeland

posted on 7/1/04 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Oooo thread back from the dead

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Spyderman

posted on 7/1/04 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
If MDF sucks up the water some one better tell these guys as they build their locusts out of the stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.locustenthusiastsclub.fsnet.co.uk/index.htm

That is why they are never taken out in the wet. The weight doubles!

Spyderman

David Jenkins

posted on 7/1/04 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
As for locusts, never did like the sound of a wooden car anyway...

Don't mention the Morgan, else Steve G might hear you...

...damn!

DJ

mackie

posted on 7/1/04 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
The Locust woman we spoke to at Donny used aluminium skinned marine ply, which should do the trick, but also weigh Quite A Lot.
Peteff

posted on 7/1/04 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
There's an offcut of untreated 19mm MDF in the garden which has been there months and it's still flat and 19mm. It has increased in weight quite a bit though. My wife builds dollhouses from MDF and they are painted, varnished and wallpapered with no ill effects. I routered some to make a desktop (proper mask and everything outside) and find it a very easy medium to work.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.