Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Donor car on trailer
brianm

posted on 19/1/04 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
Donor car on trailer

Does anyone out there know the maximum legal ( not advisory ) weight of trailer with donor car on top, that can be towed by another car, as a percentage of that car's weight?
Hugh Paterson

posted on 20/1/04 at 12:42 AM Reply With Quote
In short it depends on the kerb weight of the towcar itself each vehicle has a maximum ie a mini cannot tow as much as a landrover. Wot car u using for a tow vehicle, I can check the limit for most modern vehicles.
Shug

stephen_gusterson

posted on 20/1/04 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
how far do you need to tow?

when i got my donor 3 years back, It cost approx 45 quid to have it transported on a flatbed approx 20 miles by a professional vehicle recovery firm.

less hassle than trailers and stuff

atb

steve

Simon

posted on 20/1/04 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Brian,

As has been said, depends on the tow car. Saying that, my old Range Rover was ok up to 4 tons, and up to 8 ton with linked brakes.

That should cover most donors (including small lorries)!!

ATB

Simon

200mph

posted on 20/1/04 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
wouldn't hep me then... am using an 18 wheeler as my donor vehicle!!

Mark

David Jenkins

posted on 20/1/04 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
You'll probably have to look at the owner's handbook - they'll give 2 figures, one for unbraked trailers and the other for braked.

For my Yaris it's 450kg unbraked, 900kg braked. Not sure I'd want to tow 900kg with a 1300cc engine, but there you go!

If you haven't got a handbook, try the Towsure site <here>

rgds,

David

mackie

posted on 20/1/04 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Has anyone made a locost trailer for touring in their locost? It'd be well handy if going to Le Mans etc, unless that is you have a mate going down in his saloon too or something.
200mph

posted on 20/1/04 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking of making a trailer, one of the ones that holds the front two wheels and leaves the back two rolling along if you know what I mean. Like the ones some recovery trucks use.

It seems easier than making a big one, well at least in my head it is.

Mark

JoelP

posted on 20/1/04 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
it would have to be well balanced to avoid overdoing the back springs. unless of course you use a 4 wheel one like mark says! its a good idea, if a bloody goldwing can take a trailer then surely a locost can? then again, the goldwing probably weighs more...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

mackie

posted on 20/1/04 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I was thinking the suspension might not be up for it but if you kept it fairly light it might not be a problem. Couple of rucksacks and a tent shouldn't be too bad. Also you're unlikely to be driving in too brisk a manner when towing...
OR you could make luggage boxes that attach to the rear sorta motorbike style.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 20/1/04 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
there has been discussion on these before. towing dollies are only legal for recovery to a local place for repair. you cant use them long distance

so im told

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by 9904169
I was thinking of making a trailer, one of the ones that holds the front two wheels and leaves the back two rolling along if you know what I mean. Like the ones some recovery trucks use.

It seems easier than making a big one, well at least in my head it is.

Mark

200mph

posted on 20/1/04 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, didnt know that.

Thanks fur letting me know

Mark

David Jenkins

posted on 20/1/04 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Another reason is that the towed vehicle is regarded as being on the road, so you still need insurance, etc. You might as well drive it!

Finally, a Locost on a towing dolly is an unbraked trailer, and would probably exceed the legal limit for a passanger car (e.g. it would be 200-250kg over the unbraked limit for my car)

DJ

Simon

posted on 20/1/04 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
David,

You could always argue that you're carrying the front half (225kgs) and towing the rear half (225kgs), so be within limits

Just trying to be helpful

ATB

Simon

David Jenkins

posted on 20/1/04 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
It's still a mass of 600+kg that has to be stopped somehow!

David

stephen_gusterson

posted on 20/1/04 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
thats just being picky David.

people that tune up their cars never bother doing anything to the brakes - its all in the blue washer jets

I need to buy ones fro my car - would look great on a morgan replica!

atb

steve

David Jenkins

posted on 20/1/04 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
thats just being picky David.

quote:

people that tune up their cars never bother doing anything to the brakes - its all in the blue washer jets

I saw a repeat of that famous 5th Gear prog where vbh interviewed some half-wits who had each spent over £30K 'improving' their Renault Clios - and one still has an 1100cc engine in it! WHY?

Still, each to their own... (he lied...)

rgds,

David

Spyderman

posted on 20/1/04 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
it would have to be well balanced to avoid overdoing the back springs. unless of course you use a 4 wheel one like mark says! its a good idea, if a bloody goldwing can take a trailer then surely a locost can? then again, the goldwing probably weighs more...

It is still illegal in this country to tow a trailer with a solo motorcycle.
If you have a sidecar then it becomes legal.
The laws in other countries are different and you often see foreign Bikes with trailers touring over here. If plod wanted to be awkward he could book em, but I think a lot of the plods don't know the law!

A lot of English law needs updating!
Did you know it is an offence to pour water or other fluids onto the road?
Stems back to Tudor times when the waste (pisspots) was empted out the window. So washing your car in the street could get you arrested!

Terry

[Edited on 20/1/04 by Spyderman]

Spyderman

stephen_gusterson

posted on 20/1/04 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
I think the law regarding towing of trailers by bikes in the UK was changed over 10 years ago....... unless I dreamt that.

Its illegal to tow a bike with a car, but not for a bike to tow a bike

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by Spyderman
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

It is still illegal in this country to tow a trailer with a solo motorcycle.
If you have a sidecar then it becomes legal.
The laws in other countries are different and you often see foreign Bikes with trailers touring over here. If plod wanted to be awkward he could book em, but I think a lot of the plods don't know the law!

A lot of English law needs updating!
Did you know it is an offence to pour water or other fluids onto the road?
Stems back to Tudor times when the waste (pisspots) was empted out the window. So washing your car in the street could get you arrested!

Terry

[Edited on 20/1/04 by Spyderman]

brianm

posted on 21/1/04 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies so far, but no one has really answered my question. My tow car (E30 BMW 325) has plenty of power, but is quite light, (about 1200Kg) - can outdrag the average car on the road when towing a caravan. I have access to a four wheel car trailer, which is quite heavy in itself, and want to know what sort of combined weight I can tow (slowly and carefully), without attracting the attention of plod?
David Jenkins

posted on 22/1/04 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
I thought that I had answered your question when I said "look in the owner's handbook".

Almost all handbooks will tell you the maximum braked and unbraked towing weights, and recommended nose weight.

rgds,

David

JoelP

posted on 22/1/04 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
i drove past plod once when they were sat in a speeder watching cars go past, towing a 3ltr omega on a trailer, with a 1.6 proton persona doing the pulling. Even with no straps on the omega and no rear number plate or light board they never pulled me.

perhaps just a pair of dozy cops, but maybe they are more concerned by speeding/diesel spills/ erratic driving etc...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

flak monkey

posted on 22/1/04 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys...

just googled this question and came up with this;

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/pdf/dft_roads_pdf_506866.pdf

basically you can tow up to 3500kgs legally with no relationship between the weight of the towing vehicle and what the trailer weighs.

Just dont pull the back out of your car!!

Take a look at the document, looks like it came from the governments website, check i read it right!! Its got the whole set of regulations worded simply

Cheers

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

brianm

posted on 23/1/04 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks a lot, Flak monkey, everything I wanted to know in the first three paragraphs. Car handbook says 1200kG, but should be OK up to about 2 tonne total, I reckon.
stephen_gusterson

posted on 23/1/04 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brianm
Thanks a lot, Flak monkey, everything I wanted to know in the first three paragraphs. Car handbook says 1200kG, but should be OK up to about 2 tonne total, I reckon.

erm............. NO NO NO NO

have you ever driven something with extra weight like that? Years ago I hired a tipper truck. no probs with brakes. stuck loads of earth on it, and when I came to brake next time, the thing hardly stopped.

If you are saying the brakes on your car at 1200 kilo are good for a total of 3200 kilos, you are a suicide jockey.

guidelines are there for a reason!

atb

steve

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.