Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lower ball joint question
ProjectLMP

posted on 22/1/04 at 02:37 AM Reply With Quote
Lower ball joint question

I was planning on using spherical bearings for the outer front and rear lower suspension joints. However, I am having second thoughts because I think that they will probably wear pretty quickly. So I was looking into using some kind of production car lower ball joints. Does anyone know of any suitable ones that can be installed in a spherical housing, either screw in or press in?

Home of the Astronomicalcost Mid engined LMP project

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hugh Paterson

posted on 22/1/04 at 02:43 AM Reply With Quote
We used spherical bearings on the bottom of the Coram Lmp but found them wearing too quick and have now changed to an Audi lower bottom balljoint that has a good spec, (used on the quattro I think) will check with Steve later in the morning and u2u the details so u can have a shuftie. He has other alternatives that are suitable too.
Cheers
Shug.

[Edited on 22/1/04 by Hugh Paterson]

kb58

posted on 22/1/04 at 04:14 AM Reply With Quote
I used ball joints from a Honda Accord. Very common and obviously plenty strong. They're press-in, roughly 2" diameter, and have a 7deg taper (not sure of that figure though.)

Spherical joints will work, but they have to be way oversized to have a good life. The Honda parts mentioned above are for the rear of my car, I use a 5/8" spherical joint at the front bottom.

[Edited on 22/1/04 by kb58]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
timf

posted on 22/1/04 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
have a look at the rear wishbone 'bush' on a toyota supra 3.0l mk2 .

not a bush as such but a cross between a bush and a spherical bearing.

giel

posted on 27/1/04 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone please explain the difference between ball joints and spherical joints?
And is the wear that is mentioned here caused by the axial (vertical) load on the joint, while it's designed for radial loads primairely?

Alan B

posted on 28/1/04 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
In our kind of applications I'd interpret as follows.

Ball joint - sperical bearing in a housing of some sort usually with a tapered shank protruding...almost always for automotive applications...very much an Auto part

Spherical joint - Spherical bearing in a very simple minimalistic housing (basically it's a ball in a cage) usually with a thru' bore. Usually used with a custom machined housing...applications are varied...automotive use is near always in racing.....typically a machinery type part.

Tudor (Ted) Miron

posted on 28/1/04 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Hugh,
Don't hide it in U2U Make available for comunity.
What caused fast wear of rose joint? Dirt and dust that got there? I don't expect the loads to be such a problem - normal auto ball joint has kind of plastic housing which is weak and wearing fast but it's sealed - that helps.

Thank you
Ted

tadltd

posted on 28/1/04 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Guys,

It wasn't so much wear being the problem on the LMP - as Shug mentioned -it was more a poorly designed location on the wishbone (a legacy of the last designer, but let's not go there...).

The ball joint is now an Audi Quattro item (also found on the Audi 90 Quattro). I sourced through Federal Mogul's 'MOOG' brand - the part no. is: AU-BJ-3914

Federal Mogul actually have a very good online catalogue of their aftermarket parts, which easily aids sourcing such components.

Be warned though, it flys in the face of the Locost theory - i.e. it's NOT lo-cost!Expect to pay anywhere in the region of £25-32 from a motor factor in the UK.

However from a safety view-point, and I speak from experience, this is NOT a component that you want to take a risk with - believe me. That's why I spec'd such a heavy duty item for such a low-weight vehicle.

We can still adjust camber through the use of rose joints at the inboard end, and rose joints on the upper wishbone. Not ideal, I know, but until I find a better solution it won't change.

Hope this helps.

Steve.

(edited because I don't proof read before I post!)

[Edited on 28/1/04 by tadltd]

tadltd

posted on 6/2/04 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if anyone saw this, but would imagine it'd be useful info' for some.

So I threw it back to the top of the pile!

Steve.

ProjectLMP

posted on 7/2/04 at 01:46 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info. After some thought, due to my upright design, I am really comitted to using spherical bearings. So I decided to go with a 5/8 for the front and 3/4 for the rear. I would have gone 3/4 all around but I don't have clearance on the front when the upright is turned. I may put some dust seals on them. If I was doing this from scratch I would probably design the uprights to fit commercial automotive joints.

Home of the Astronomicalcost Mid engined LMP project

tadltd

posted on 7/2/04 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
We used spherical bearings originally, but changed to the commercial ball joint recently. It may be that our design allows us to do that more easily, though.

Steve.

rontyler

posted on 12/2/04 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Yesterday a customer brought over a lower ball joint from the front of an early VW Golf ('85 ish). It looks like a great canidate for a BEC or other lightweight car. They cost less than $20 and, from my understanding, indestructible (in the Golf platform). Additionally they are VERY lightweight.. I didn't have an opportuninty to weigh it, but I'd guess its under 1/2 pound whereas the generic Chevrolet bj (w/holder) is in the 1 1/2 to 2 lb range. The Golf bj is also MUCH smaller on the outboard end which would allow for smaller scrub radius and/or KP angles. The picture is deceiving... it really is tiny compared to the "typical" bj. Rescued attachment vwgolfLBJ.jpg
Rescued attachment vwgolfLBJ.jpg

Regards, Ron Tyler

"Nothing is ever accomplished by a reasonable man."

tadltd

posted on 13/2/04 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
The problem with that ball joint is that it'll need a bolt through the upright to clamp it - unless you use the original upright you're going to run into a big headache.

The ball joint we use was chosen for the following reasons:

1. It was a 'bolt-on' design (like the Golf one)
  2. It had a threaded end to secure it in the upright, therefore only a tapered hole was required
  3. It was commercially available
  4. It is strong (from Audi Quattro)
  5. It is relatively light
  6. It has been through a sh!t load of development!

Have a look at Federal Mogul's web-site (the link's posted earlier in this thread), they picture a load of different types of ball joint and you can pretty much pick and choose which one is most suitable for your application.

Steve.

edited to add last 'list' item

[Edited on 13/2/04 by tadltd]

GTAddict

posted on 13/2/04 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Couldn't put a direct link up to the page you mmight be reffering to, could you? A comparison page full of balljoints/bearings would be very useful. (I've crawled over the Moog pages, but can't find much useful. I'm guessing it is hidden.)

Ta,

Mark.

tadltd

posted on 14/2/04 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Try this:

Federal Mogul (click it!)

Then click on 'electronic catalogue' - once this loads up, look under 'chassis'

All I did was trawl through all the makes and models to find parts that I thought would be suitable. You need to specify the vehicle to get access to the pic's. It's a bit of 'leg' work, but your local motor factors ain't gonna allow you to do that!

ENJOY!

Steve.

edited to add the last paragraph

[Edited on 14/2/04 by tadltd]

GTAddict

posted on 15/2/04 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Good stuff. I was missing the 'catalogue' bit of the puzzle.

Thank you!

Mark.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.