Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 6 cyl inline engine layout?
e020518

posted on 27/1/04 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
6 cyl inline engine layout?

I was just wondering if anyone has a layout of a 6-cyl inline engine (cad is nice). I don't have a special engine in mind, just thinking about how much more space it requires. I searched through this forum and did not find what I'm looking for.

Much obliged / Jon

ed_crouch

posted on 27/1/04 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Ive found that most of them are prety long, and unless its a 2 litre or sthg with quite a small bore, and close bore pitch, it is difficult to make it go in the standard locost. You could, of course, build the engine bay 6 inches longer than normal or so. If youre going to do this, i would recommend getting a copy of either Maya, or 3DS Max, so you can model the chassis up and make sure that everything works. either that, or if you're a 2D CAD-phile, make VERY sure that 2 bars aren't going to collide or anything boring like that. VERY boring to find out that the design doesn't work when you've cut steel!

I know what you mean abotu the 6Cylinder though. I almost got hold of a 6Cyl out of an E46 BMW 323. Its a beautiful engine, VVT, Bosch Motronic, Smooth as the proverbial kashmir codpiece, and IIRC about 180 BHP and the torque (thanks to the VANOS vvt) to match. ALLOY BLOCK: 'bout 140 kilos IIRC.

Anyway, i'll stop drivelling on now!

In summary, go to a scrappy on the pretense of getting an engine, measure it up, and make a basic bounding volume (box) in CAD. If it fits, great, if the corners poke out, then investigate further.

Ed.

timf

posted on 27/1/04 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
have a look at jack collins chassis plans http://www.fordsix.com/locost/Collins.pdf

he is running a ford 6cyl

zetec

posted on 27/1/04 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
The later E36 had the same engine, known as m52, must be a few knocking about in salvage yards as same block used for 2,2.5 and 2.8ltr. suspect getting it going in a kit would be OK it you could get the original ECU working, might need to trick it into thinking it's still connected to traction control/aircon/ignition key etc. Would be OK if it wasn't for the VANOS which is under ECU control.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.