Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Windshield - Cut it off?
sgraber

posted on 28/1/04 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Windshield - Cut it off?

This is one of those design problems that should never have happened.

I designed my car mostly in CAD, using a humanoid model who is 2m tall as a baseline. But the CAD humanoids legs were longer than mine. So now, when I sit in the actual seat that was located using CAD, behind a windshield located using CAD, I come find out that my big arse head sticks up over the seatback about 6cm more than I originally envisioned. I'm too friggin tall I was too confident in the CAD data to address this properly during the build.

Without a rollbar this is not a problem as I can see through the windshield frame just fine.

However, when I go to install a rollbar that does it's job (ie: tall enough to protect my scalp), I find that it winds up about 6cm taller than where the windshield header currently sits.

If you were to look at my car in profile, the rollbar is considerably taller than the windshield. This gives the car a very "cartoony" look IMO.

Do I cut off the windshield structure and raise it 6cm to match the rollbar? Do I remove the windshield frame permanently and rely on the rollbar for protection? Do I build an extension onto the top of the windshield header, like a wind deflector, to raise it's perceived height?

Opinions welcomed.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dblissett

posted on 28/1/04 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
?

this might sound to simple but is there anyway you could lower the seat or remove some of the seat cushan
or change the seat to a thiner one
so that you are lower in the car
if not you are in for some hard work

good luck dave

pbura

posted on 29/1/04 at 01:53 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think it's necessary for the top of the windscreen to be as tall as the RB, but maybe decrease the rake so the proportions look a little better? In most 7s, the RB is taller and looks fine.

You might want to resize your humanoid, too, to make sure you'll be getting the effect you want (pardon the statement of the obvious ).

Pete

Pete

Spyderman

posted on 1/2/04 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Get about three vertibrae removed!
That should do it.

I'd go with the lowering of the seats.
Unfortunately you bought your seats before you new exactly what you wanted. An obvious mistake in hindsight, and one we've all done I guess!
Would it be possible to adjust the driving position to make it more reclined?
Maybe extend steering column to accomodate a more reclined position?

Terry

Spyderman

violentblue

posted on 1/2/04 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
relocate the windshield up to the same height as the rollbar.

a few pics of my other projects

GTAddict

posted on 2/2/04 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Have you selected a screen? The windshield frame looks a bit small to me... both in width and height given the size of the seats. There isn't a clear view for me to examine, but maybe you can compare and contrast a few cars yourself by sitting in, then looking at each A-pillar and seeing where it lies. The screen looks like a LMP type 'bubble' size, but the yellow 'La Bala' shows a Gandini-Lambo-esque car, they tend to have a very wide base to the windscreen.

Having said all that, do you need a rollbar? The car looks funkily low, and thus you'll be going very fast (sideways?) before you roll it. Take a look at a Cobra replica. Draw a line between the tip of the bonnet and the top of the hoop, and watch it cleanly bisect the driver's head. For the most part, the idea is not to compact you totally below the car's 'waistline', as opposed to totally protecting your head. If you're gunning the car hard enough to need a roll hoop, you're probably wearing a helmet.

You could have a removable arrangement, with chromed hoops for show (a la Audi TT) and a Locost 750MC style roll cage bar for track days. I don't know what your local laws require, so YMMV.

Mark.

sgraber

posted on 3/2/04 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Mark, others, thanks for the suggestions and commentary. The chosen windshield is from a Geo Metro (Suzuki Swift) it is 52" (132cm) wide across the base. A very slim but tall windshield.

The obvious choices (at least to me) are.

- Don't use a rollbar : not required by law and is the car really going to ever flip? Do I want to take that chance? Safety is important to me.

- Raise the windshield to match the rollbar: This may be best choice as my body modeling efforts show that the windshield is currently lower than optimal for the shape I am hoping to get. "funkily low".

The rollbar will be removable, so the idea of a chrome set of hoops for show is neat with a purposeful one for racing. yes, very nice idea.

Thanks everyone, time to unsheath the sawzall!

Graber

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Spyderman

posted on 4/2/04 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Steve, can't you alter the driving position at all?
Must be less drastic than moving the screen!

Terry

Spyderman

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.