Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Airbox or foam filter
stuart_g

posted on 16/1/09 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Airbox or foam filter

I have been thinking of making an airbox and having some sort of ducting to feed it from the front of the car.
During the summer I was getting air temperatures of around 38 degrees in the airbox. I have a pipercross panel filter at the moment so the engine is drawing in hot air from the engine bay.
I like the look of the pipercross airbox but not the price. It wouldn't be too difficult to make a fiberglass version but do these work well on a bike engine? I was under the impression that ideally you need a bigger airbox area and the pipercross one is quite small. I am also thinking of ducting the nose cone to force air through the rad so I could incorporate a feed to the airbox aswell.
I'm not really looking for a performance gain but want to know if it is better to have a panel filter or an airbox. I am looking to get the car setup on a rolling road so want to get this done before the power commander is mapped.

What are your thoughts on the above.

[Edited on 16/1/09 by stuart_g]

eznfrank

posted on 16/1/09 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
I believe Triton was making some although not sure if he ever finished them?
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 16/1/09 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
I've dyno'd and mapped a GSXR1000 with airbox and a foam sausage, there was no difference with either when fuelled correctly.
What the airbox did though was bring the noise level down to something acceptable (but still not Combe-able). This alone, is why you need an airbox. I've looked at the Piper, also look at the Reverie one, it's a lot narrower and comes with a K and N.

badding

posted on 16/1/09 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a poly airbox, made it myself costs about 50 euro..

hobbsy

posted on 16/1/09 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
I think I'm going to do a cut and shut on the standard R1 5PW airbox (as per Jim Gibbletts) then do a couple of airfeed pipes using bellmouths where the indicators used to go on early Fury's but the indents remain.

Got some 60mm bellmouths in polished ally just need some decent 60mm pipe, the cheap ally stuff just collapses if crushed, need the glass reinforced stuff but the cheapest seen so far is over £10 a metre

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.