Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: non emission tests for q plate cars
bob tatt

posted on 20/1/09 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
non emission tests for q plate cars

as abovce read somwhere that q plates do not need an emmisions test if this is so where do i get the info to show at the test station on sat
rob

adam1985

posted on 20/1/09 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
isnt this just for mot though think you still need it for sva/iva someone will be along soon to confirm or not this
mistergrumpy

posted on 20/1/09 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Aye, I'm sure it's only for MOT as when you pitch up for SVA then you wouldn't, in theory, have any plate, Q or not. For MOT they should just see the Q plate and know that it's visible smoke test.

gingerprince

posted on 20/1/09 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
That is correct, for MOT. Not for SVA!

If you're going for an MOT, it may be worth taking a printout of the following pages: -

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/how_to_use_page_one.htm

Specifically: -

b. Vehicles having a Q plate registration when presented for MOT are to be treated as being first used on 1 January 1971

ii. The exhaust emission test for a vehicle first used before August 1975 is a visual check only. Vehicles first used on or after 1 st August 1975 are also subject to only a visual check if they were manufactured before February 1975 (i.e. 6 months or more before August 1975).

[Edited on 20/1/09 by gingerprince]

Paul (Notts)

posted on 20/1/09 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
SVA is based on engine age for emissions

Q plate smoke test at MOT

Paul

bob tatt

posted on 20/1/09 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
great news not had it rolling roaded since the engione swap and its very rich so that will do me fine
many thanks for the replies rob

grahamgg

posted on 20/1/09 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
THE RULES HAVE CHANGED> read on
have a look at your V5 it will tell you in the special notes about the cars emissions at sva. As from last year Q plates now have to meet the emissions on your V5 cert. If you have no records on your V5 cert then you should get away with a smoke test.
The mot test centre will have the info on his computer when he tests your car, and he will have to test emissions to pass the car.

emmissions
emmissions

[Edited on 20/1/09 by grahamgg]

smart51

posted on 20/1/09 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
My MOT last month was visible smoke only. The V5 stated emissions limits but I "forgot" to take it with me to the MOT station when they asked for it. Now my MOT certificate says visible smoke so next year, bob's my uncle.
grahamgg

posted on 20/1/09 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
It's if it comes up on the mot test centre's computer, I challenged the mot tester last year. And he stated that the rules had changed and showed me his updated manual. plus he cant over rule what comes up on his computer apparently. I take it this is linked up to the dvla.
bob tatt

posted on 20/1/09 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
might forget mine v5 then as its got a lamba reading onit but ive never had a cat on.
COREdevelopments

posted on 20/1/09 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
wow, im an mot tester and that is news to me. probably because i forgot to read the special notice!woops
i will try and find that out tomo.

rob

Stu16v

posted on 20/1/09 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by grahamgg
It's if it comes up on the mot test centre's computer, I challenged the mot tester last year. And he stated that the rules had changed and showed me his updated manual. plus he cant over rule what comes up on his computer apparently. I take it this is linked up to the dvla.

I think your tester is talking rubbish - the Q plate/emission test scenario is explained at the front of the MOT manual.

And the computer *can* be 'overruled' - especially when it would appear the wrong data was inputted the previous year!

Dont just build it.....make it!

bob tatt

posted on 21/1/09 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
ill ask my mate today he works where i get my mot done so he should know but they only look after two kits mine and a dax with a blackbird init. the lamba reading must have been on there last year but they only did a standard emmision test. now im confused.
rob

bob tatt

posted on 21/1/09 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
ill ask my mate today he works where i get my mot done so he should know but they only look after two kits mine and a dax with a blackbird init. the lamba reading must have been on there last year but they only did a standard emmision test. now im confused.
rob

gingerprince

posted on 21/1/09 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
It's not the figures in the "special notes" that have to be passed, it's the figures inside the V5 that the machine will require. On a Q plate they will be blank. Mine are blank, but I have the SVA figures on the front. Last year my MOT was visual smoke only. I expect the same this year.

They can't change rules like this that make a car unable to pass when it used to be able to. The worst they could do is say something like "a q plate registered on or after X/2008 must pass those figures" for example.

Imagine if they suddently decided that a 1990 car (pre-cat) had to pass current regulations. They wouldn't - they can't.

COREdevelopments

posted on 21/1/09 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
UPDATE
i had a quick look in the mot manual and there is an update, saying that

"kit/amatuer built vehicles built before 1998 require to be tested to 1975 emissions. and any built after 1998 require an SVA which determine the emissions which can be found on the vehicles V5".

those are not the exact words so dont quote me.
however i and many other Mot testers have not come accross this. and believe that Qs only require a visible smoke test as its always been, but i did try looking for it in writing but couldnt find it.
and as for all emissions, the MOT computer does not ask for any input of figures of emission results, we simply print off a slip and place it in a file with the vt40 which is kept for a few months then destroyed!

hope this helps anyone

Rob

also my V5 does not contain any emission info and its a Q plate, so looks like its visible test only which is nice.

[Edited on 21/1/09 by COREdevelopments]

Stu16v

posted on 22/1/09 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by COREdevelopments
UPDATE
i had a quick look in the mot manual and there is an update, saying that

"kit/amatuer built vehicles built before 1998 require to be tested to 1975 emissions. and any built after 1998 require an SVA which determine the emissions which can be found on the vehicles V5".

those are not the exact words so dont quote me.
however i and many other Mot testers have not come accross this. and believe that Qs only require a visible smoke test as its always been, but i did try looking for it in writing but couldnt find it.
and as for all emissions, the MOT computer does not ask for any input of figures of emission results, we simply print off a slip and place it in a file with the vt40 which is kept for a few months then destroyed!

hope this helps anyone

Rob

also my V5 does not contain any emission info and its a Q plate, so looks like its visible test only which is nice.

[Edited on 21/1/09 by COREdevelopments]

For the 'Q plate' emissions requirements, read the start of the manual, in the 'Forward' IIRC, under the heading 'First Used Dates, or summat like that.

Dont just build it.....make it!

bob tatt

posted on 24/1/09 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
just been for mot and it passed visual smike only he said so who knows which is right.
COREdevelopments

posted on 25/1/09 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
had a word with the local mot inspector on friday. and he seemed puzzled at first. but he said if its got a Q plate it should be treated as visual test only.
sorted.

Rob

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.