Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Combi boiler
jlparsons

posted on 6/2/09 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Combi boiler

I've got a gas combi boiler (about 15 years old) running my shower, and I'm wondering this...

When the water going into the boiler is relatively warm (ie in the summer months), will the boiler reduce the gas usage to give the same amount of hot water but use less gas? Or will it increase the flow of the water instead and use the same amount of gas?

My money's on option two, but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone knows?

Thankyou again to the suppository of all knowledge that is locostbuilders.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

spewing

posted on 6/2/09 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
The only control on the flow is how much you open the tap.

At 15 years old at full flow the boiler will raise the temperature of the incoming water by an amount depending on the size of the boiler so the warmer the incoming water the hotter the outgoing water.

Reducing the flow (turning down the tap) will to a point as the same amount of energy to a smaller volume of water giving hotter water.

Kev

jlparsons

posted on 7/2/09 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
Thought so. Renders the idea of drainwater heat recovery a bit mute, I'll only get a higher flow rate on the shower rather than better efficiency. Worth a check anyway! Cheers mate.
fatfranky

posted on 7/2/09 at 12:38 AM Reply With Quote
I thought that mains water supply pipes were about 1.5 metres below ground to maintain a steady temperature. i.e. do not freeze, do not warm up
jlparsons

posted on 7/2/09 at 02:01 AM Reply With Quote
done a bit of research - apparently some modern condensing combi boilers (known as "fully modulating" are able to vary their flame. This means i could use a drainwater heat recovery system as in the previous post. Also it means you could use a solar hot water system.

Something to bare in mind when i put in a new boiler, which shouldn't be too long!

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

iiyama

posted on 7/2/09 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Vaillants are fully modulating and can actually vary the heat output by quite a margin.

Solar hot water and combi's will work, but are not as efficient as a system boiler and an unvented twin coil cylinder.

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

jlparsons

posted on 7/2/09 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
I'll look out for a vaillant then I think! That's what I've got already but it's about 15 years old now, and iirc it's about 60% efficient when new!!
JoelP

posted on 7/2/09 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
my best idea so far regarding getting heat back out of waste water is to have an underpowered electric shower with a good heat exchanger. You just keep upping the flow as the waste gradually gets warmer.

Heat exchangers are quite efficient nowadays, on grand designs recently they had a chap with an air heat scavanger that got about 98% back.

jlparsons

posted on 7/2/09 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
I'm thinking of making my own heat exchanger doe to the cost and size of the commercially available ones. Got a couple of ideas, might use a sealed large diameter drainage pipe with microbore copper running inside, run it along under the floorboards between the joists. It has only a single wall between foul and fresh, but it'll be more efficient for it and it's only going to feed the shower so what the hell.

I see what you mean about the electric shower, that would be an efficient solution. Wouldn't fit in so well with my long term plan of putting in solar hot water though.

[Edited on 7/2/09 by jlparsons]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.