Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike power, mid engine, road legal, production??
Alez

posted on 26/2/04 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Bike power, mid engine, road legal, production??

So, what have been the different attempts to actually sell a

-bike powered,
-mid engine,
-road legal

kit car as either a kit or a turn-key car?

There was the MK GT1 now being re-thought as Banshee. There was the Wesfield XTR2 now XTR4. Any others? Oh, there's the Xanthos Grand Prix single seater as well, Fireblade powered I think, they claim it can be made road legal. Also, any with a transmission other than chain? Is that all in production out there, XTR or nothing??

There are a few others still at prototype level not production, like the Coram LMP and the Dragon F1, as well as some one-offs, like that OX7 and some cars that this guy Rotor posted a while ago, although I can't remember wether these were car or bike engined. If I'm right, Radicals and Ultimas are car powered, as well as the Sylva Mojo, Ariel Atom, Brooke cars, Carcraft Cyclone and UVA Fugitive F33 both now discontinued and so and so on, there are many more car engined cars than are bike engined ones!!!

Cheers,

Alex

ned

posted on 26/2/04 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Alez,

Radicals are bike powered, range of kawasaki engines or suzuika hyabusa in vaious states of tune iirc.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alez

posted on 26/2/04 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, tasty!! Not that I don't like the XTRs, BTW!!
Hugh Paterson

posted on 26/2/04 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Alez, had a decko at the XTR at autosport, not too impressed with the chassis at the back end, the new Radical seems well sorted however. As for the Palmer motorsport beastie well some people call it lust, sori chaps if u got fed up wiping the drool marks from the bodywork, of course its a car engine but the quality of build made me weak at the knees. Thats the bench mark but at a price of course!
Shug.

greggors84

posted on 27/2/04 at 02:54 AM Reply With Quote
Is the the palmer jaguar one? Very nice and they do a road legal version. LeMan racer for the road!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

speck

posted on 27/2/04 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84
Is the the palmer jaguar one? Very nice and they do a road legal version. LeMan racer for the road!

AFAIK, the Palmer Jaguar uses a 3L V6 Jag engine tuned to 280bhp or so.

Hugh Paterson

posted on 27/2/04 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Yup thats the one, I have heard rumors of an Audi engine one too but dont know if thats all it is.
Shug.

ned

posted on 27/2/04 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
The Palmer audii car was originally a national supersports car by the name of Zeus. Pete Sneller (the man behind Zeus) has since gone bankrupt but made the first bacth/sold/gave the rights to Jonathan Palmers boys.
The zeus's bodywork I believe was derived from a van dieman sports 2000 car.

The zeus won the National Supersports championship in 2001, only 1 car was made and run in the series, fitted with a vx Xe 16v.

I'll try and dig out some pics..

Ned.

ps see the resembelance?

[Edited on 27/2/04 by ned]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hugh Paterson

posted on 27/2/04 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Ah Ned what a mine of information u are, I may be mistaken but I thought that Zeus still had a website recently, nice car though drool drool slebber You obviously mix in exhaulted circles

Shug.

ned

posted on 27/2/04 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Shug,

http://www.zeusmotorsport.co.uk/ no longer seems to work/exist, getting a page cannot be displayed error.

Ned.

oldgit485

posted on 27/2/04 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Bike engined

I think the Pell Genesis was one of the first bike/mid engined cars and the Stathcarron no longer in production used a Triumph motor cycle engine in a Reynard designed monocoque.

Pell Automotive
Unit 7
Essex Park Industrial Estate
Essex Street
Bradford
West Yorkshire
BD47 7UA

http://www.strathcarron-sports-cars.com/

Tel: 01274-307444
Fax: 01274-307444

Oldgit

Alan B

posted on 27/2/04 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
You may be right about the Pell...but the one I know is car engined...

Pell link

Alez

posted on 1/3/04 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm!! What do we have here?? Isn't this Pell the only road legal, production, mid engined, bike engined, AFFORDABLE car around?? Lovely!!
Alez

posted on 1/3/04 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Gardner Douglas Lola T70 replica

V8 car engined, but worth a mention..
http://www.gdcars.com/gdt70/gdt70_index.htm

Cheers,

Alex

andkilde

posted on 1/3/04 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alez
Hmmm!! What do we have here?? Isn't this Pell the only road legal, production, mid engined, bike engined, AFFORDABLE car around?? Lovely!!

MK appear to be working on something quite interesting -- hopefully it will be road legal when finished. Everyone here seems to be quite complimentary about his work.

http://www.m-keenan.freeserve.co.uk/Banshee.htm

Cheers, Ted

Alez

posted on 2/3/04 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, I wonder why they had the GT1 in production for so little time. As for this new one, it's looking good, I'm not convinced about the bodywork though, to me it looks like a chassis covered by a bed sheet?? Strange

Cheers,

Alex

ned

posted on 2/3/04 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting that the pics on mk's website have changed. They did show a zetec engined chassis with an audi treansaxle.. now they have an inline bike engine bolted to a sierra dif, which I do believe ha been suggested on this forum before as a locost mid engine drive train!

Ned.

greggors84

posted on 2/3/04 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
I thought they were still building the strathcarron, last i heard, which was last year, that they were planning to have a car engine option. Im not sure though.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Wadders

posted on 2/3/04 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Well my vote goes to the black Palmer, the side mounted rocket launcher is an especially nice touch, and could come in very handy Dunno what the SVA man would make of it though!!
ned

posted on 3/3/04 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Wadders,

The whole point is that it isn't a pamler car, but a zeus! its for sale, anyone interested i have a conctact...

and yes it is one peice carbon fibre bodywork on the car...

and an f3 style airbox.

Ned.

oldgit485

posted on 3/3/04 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Just posting about cyclone v8 on another thread (v8 using two bike top ends on a new crankcase/crank) made me think of the Light Car Companys Rocket, mid engine Yamaha ,50s racer style,dont know if its still in production was expensive!
Oldgit

Wadders

posted on 3/3/04 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
Ned
I really don't give a sh*t what the car is/was/might be, MY point is it just looks quite nice!!!!!! Thats all.
Al.

]Originally posted by ned
Wadders,

The whole point is that it isn't a pamler car, but a zeus! its for sale, anyone interested i have a conctact...

and yes it is one peice carbon fibre bodywork on the car...

and an f3 style airbox.

Ned. [/quote

spunky

posted on 13/4/04 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Here's a bike engined middy

Honda SP1 (135bhp 90ishft/lbs), non chain drive.
Short prop direct to sierra diff.
Originally an ST project but I took it off Ians hands, Soon found out why his development ground to a halt. Its been a b*****d to build, but just about ready.

More piccies in my archive.

John
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread just curious to hear your comments.

[Edited on 13/4/04 by spunky] Rescued attachment spider 01.jpg
Rescued attachment spider 01.jpg

GTAddict

posted on 14/4/04 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Neat. What is windscreen from?

(Aw, okay, I'll bite...)

1.) A V-Twin! Wicked! Does it sound as good as I think it does?

And:

2.) Why have you got a cam operated master cylinder? It's a nice idea, but why?

Mark.

spunky

posted on 14/4/04 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark,

Yup, it does sound incredible with the twin DTM back box. Its an odd thing with no baffling just some perforated tubes to redirect sound!!!

Cam operated clutch was an attempt to give as much feel and pedal movement as possible since bike clutches only move a 'nats'. success was limited so have fitted bike master now.

Windscreen is special made but I believe the original Midtec that this is based on was a cut down Saab 96 rear screen, so I bin told. (loads of them around in breakers aren't there!)

John

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.