Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone used the Cosworth V6?
tegwin

posted on 12/5/09 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone used the Cosworth V6?

I am toying with the idea of using the cosworth V6 in the TVR.... give it a bit more poke and modern reliability...

But... so far as I can see, the more powerful BOB engine only comes with an auto box...

So I guess I will need the BOA without the variable intake jobbie that the BOB has so I can have a manual box?

What engine management would work best (read as LOCOST!) on this engine?

Its going in a 1972 car, so I guess I dont need to worry about emissions and or cats etc...

Are there any issues with running this engine in a different car?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

omega0684

posted on 12/5/09 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
nielP on the forum runs a viento with a cossie V6 in it, might be worth dropping him a u2u
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
vinny1275

posted on 12/5/09 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
swmbo's dad had a 4wd Sierra with one of these in (I'm pretty sure it was a BOB), was mated to a manual box, so it is doable. Was a pretty good track car that, especially with the roll cage and slicks on..

mcerd1

posted on 12/5/09 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
this sites got loads of info on converting to a manual box (4x4, but that just means less work if your sticking to 2wd)

linky

I guess you'd use a 2wd MT75 (or a T5 £££), I think its quite a common conversion for a capri / scimitar

[Edited on 12/5/09 by mcerd1]

-

cd.thomson

posted on 12/5/09 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
The only reason to go for the BOB is if you cannot find a BOA engine. Engine management on the BOB is significantly more complex.

Craig

mcerd1

posted on 12/5/09 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
the other big problem with the BOB is the size of the plenum - its alot bigger than the BOA one

-

mr henderson

posted on 12/5/09 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
So what's wrong with an automatic?????

Bentleys etc don't come with manuals, nothing wrong with autos

John

tegwin

posted on 12/5/09 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
An automatic TVR? Come over here so I can give you a slap!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

ned

posted on 12/5/09 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
chippy has a cosworth v6 in his car. it's taken me all morning to remember his username on here!

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chippy

posted on 12/5/09 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
BOA in the "Custard Pie" (<<<Pic)
The BOB is far from easy to fit, whilst the BOA is fairly simple. Mine has BOB cams, and Vectra V6 injectors, made 220 BHP on the RR, less than expected but mainly due to a crap exhaust system, (soon to be changed,(again)). If you want any info just drop me a U2U. Cheers Ray
PS. This site is very helpful.
Fordpower linky

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Rob Allison

posted on 12/5/09 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
The BOB is a better engine than the BOA. Its got shorter heads than the BOA.
I run a BOB on the BOA ecu and loom, it makes more power than the BOA too.

Chippy

posted on 12/5/09 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The BOB is a better engine than the BOA. Its got shorter heads than the BOA.

Hi Rob, would contradict that statement, the BOB has two simplex timing chains which are known to be a weak spot, and when/if they break the engine is scrap. The BOA on the other hand has a single duplex timing chain, I have known of race engines having siezed solid due to cam bearings locking up, and the chain has never been known to break, despite being 2.2 meters long. I will admit the the BOB is a "little" more powerful than the BOA, but if you fit the BOB cams in the BOA with better flowing injectors, the BOA is then more powerful than the BOB, by about 20 to 30 BHP. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

NS Dev

posted on 13/5/09 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
hmmm, have to say I would side with the BOB engine.......

The simplex chains can break and scrap it, but they rarely do, whereas the tensioner and skid system for the duplex chains on the BOA is a nightmare.

The BOB was supposed to iron out many of the glitches that were on the BOA.

I was involved with (though didn't personally do) a BOB sierra conversion, and that used a manual MT75 box (diesel one) with XR4x4 front half casing and rebuilt cluster with different ratios, some rare ford part iirc. You can use the std diesel cluster which works ok though. It ran megasquirt injection/ignition and std BOB triple coil pack.

[Edited on 13/5/09 by NS Dev]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.