Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC's and the Nurburgring
DM

posted on 18/5/09 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
BEC's and the Nurburgring

Hi all -

My current kitcar is up for sale and once its gone I'll be looking for a new toy to replace it

The main use will be a couple of trips per year to the Ring and some UK trackdays

Am I mad to be considering a BEC? Would be grateful for owners opinions...

These are the issues currently on my mind -

1) Long journeys - For me, getting to the Ring is about 400 miles of mostly motorways. Is this a bit much for a small hi-revving engine loaded up with a lot more weight than it was ever designed for?

2) Reliability - Im a novice driver and keep well within my limits but still the engine will be getting a fair amount of punishment, especially at the Ring. Is this likely to result in a long walk home?

3) Are BEC's too noisy for UK trackdays? How easy/hard is it to get them within acceptable db limits?

ps - ad for my car is here

any advice appreciated

cheers

richardh

posted on 18/5/09 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=113602

in case you didn't see it today

Time for a change!

DM

posted on 18/5/09 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
yeah - that was the thread that got me thinking about this today
Hellfire

posted on 18/5/09 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
1 - 400 miles is a bit much - that's 3 tank fulls at best! Your ears may bleed for a while following this journey! IMHO the N is a better track for CEC as it's long (hence fast!) and not too corner concentrated - but a BEC will get you there without too much problem!

2 - Reliability wise. The engine is about as reliable as you will get - most are Japanese - having said that, it depends on the quality of your build.

3 - BEC's are not too noisy for U.K. Trackdays - Trackdays are too quiet! Most will be ok - with some DB killer or a road legal can...

Steve

jimgiblett

posted on 18/5/09 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
The only reason I havent been to the 'Ring is the unreliability of the weather and the fines for damage. I would have no more concern about driving there in a BEC than on a motorcycle.

If you are going alone (ie just one car) you will need to find somewhere to dump all your clobber as you wont want to haul it round the track.

I have been to plenty of overseas trackdays and noise limits are generally less draconian than in the UK but there are limits. I think that is due to the continentals not being as densely populated than the UK.

- Jim

MK9R

posted on 18/5/09 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
I've done the ring in 2 scooby's, K series elise, and honda'd elise, and my mate took his k series caterham, scooby then his M3.

The scoob was definetly the best car for the ring, followed by the honda'd elise then the K series elise. I haven't even taken the BEC as it just wouldn't be geared right. If the ring is you main concern i'd have a car like the scoob or M3, its such a fast circuit you'd struggle with BEC or similiar. The reason i honda'd my elise was i got bored of the K series in the elise.

Taking weather in to consideration, i'd defo go for the 4x4 saloon, its safer and you whip the ass off everything else there in the damp. My best times where in the scoob, but i suppose if i had an M3 it would have been better (in the dry)

But then on a UK track the scoob and M3 are pants, just far too heavy!!! I'd say BEC all day long for UK trackdays.

You need to decide what is most important

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
les

posted on 18/5/09 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I have taken the avon over there a couple of times. reliability is always an issue, I have had various problems each time but nothing that stopped me getting home. Mine has a zetec but im sure bec would be superb, I think a radical had the record there for a while and im sure they have hyabusa engines??

paying for damage and insurance on the track are the big issues-

but dont let it stop you- every other track seems tame!!

I have put a video on youtube if you are interested- search for avonkitcar.
Les

DM

posted on 18/5/09 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimgiblett
The only reason I havent been to the 'Ring is the unreliability of the weather and the fines for damage.

The fines are one of many risks drivers need to be aware of and decide if they're willing & able to accept before driving the ring. Personally I believe its worth it.

quote:

If you are going alone (ie just one car) you will need to find somewhere to dump all your clobber as you wont want to haul it round the track.

hotel Reider is friendly, close to the Ring and let guests use their garages - also handy if your car doesnt have a roof

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire

3 - BEC's are not too noisy for U.K. Trackdays - Trackdays are too quiet!

haha - cant argue with that

quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
You need to decide what is most important

True indeed. Sadly a car for each occasion isnt an option so have some thinking to do... (btw - would love to take a honda'd elise for a spin!)

thanks for all the comments guys

sorens2

posted on 18/5/09 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I have the MNR with the ZX12R and I need about 100 bhp at the Ring.
But thats only at the straits.
On the 73 corners it punishes almost everything.
Including Scoobys, M3, M5, GT3, etc.
I did a few 9.06 min laps and the fun in this car never stops.
You cannot talk about it if you havent tried it in a BEC. Period.
More video to come.

Soren S2

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sorens2

posted on 18/5/09 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7I4kop1nbw

Soren S2

MK9R

posted on 19/5/09 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sorens2
I have the MNR with the ZX12R and I need about 100 bhp at the Ring.
But thats only at the straits.
On the 73 corners it punishes almost everything.
Including Scoobys, M3, M5, GT3, etc.
I did a few 9.06 min laps and the fun in this car never stops.
You cannot talk about it if you havent tried it in a BEC. Period.
More video to come.

Soren S2

I did a 8.40 in my scoob but couldn't come anywhere near that in the K series Elise, although i think alot of it is confidence, the impreza gives you it, the elise tests it. Something like a radical (mid engined chain driven BEC) would be fantastic there, and i'm not knocking your MNR as it would wipe the floor with most things on most circuits, but i just think at hyper power circuits like the ring you need capacity to power up them long long straights. Also the ring is a dangerous place where the surface and grip conditions can be totally different from one part to the next, hence why i think a powerful 4x4 saloon is a great choice, plus you get the comfort on the trip there and back (my arse in the elise was in bits before i even got to the ferry on the way there!!)

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

aka Keith

posted on 19/5/09 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
To the original OP.

I am driving my zx9r MK indy out to the ring in August for a couple of days.

I do not expect to be hassling the supercars around the track, but I wanted to be able to say that I had been and done it.

I will give write up when I get back.

Cheers
Craig

MK9R

posted on 19/5/09 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aka Keith
To the original OP.

I am driving my zx9r MK indy out to the ring in August for a couple of days.

I do not expect to be hassling the supercars around the track, but I wanted to be able to say that I had been and done it.

I will give write up when I get back.

Cheers
Craig

It will be great to know my old car has made it to the ring!!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

aka Keith

posted on 19/5/09 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Austen, I will let you know how it gets on.

cheers
Craig

DM

posted on 19/5/09 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I find part of the fun of taking a kitcar to the ring is the whole *am I actually going to make it there* part of the experience thankfully not had any problems myself.

My Tiger is for sale but it might well be seeing one more trip there before we part company -

keith - nice looking car - have fun!

[Edited on 19/5/09 by DM]

MK9R

posted on 19/5/09 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DM
quote:

I find part of the fun of taking a kitcar to the ring is the whole *am I actually going to make it there* part of the experience thankfully not had any problems myself.

My Tiger is for sale but it might well be seeing one more trip there before we part company -

keith - nice looking car - have fun!

[Edited on 19/5/09 by DM]

LOL, you may change your opinion after a bad trip I went all the way in my honda'd elise and the driveshaft seal went on the way there (didn't notice until i got there), luckily some other elises where coming over the next day so i got them to bring a couple of spare seals with them. I then spent most of the saturday changing the seal, took it for a spin and it leaked again (i'd pushed the seal in too far), so spent the following morning putting another seal in, this time it worked a treat. Then on my 3rd lap the car started cutting out around corners, which turned out to be a dodgy fuel pump (which i had just upgraded before the trip). I then drove all the way home waiting to break down!!! It was an experience, but smelling of transmission fluid for an entire long weekend and doing 1000 miles for 3 laps wasn't my idea of fun

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

MK9R

posted on 19/5/09 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aka Keith
Austen, I will let you know how it gets on.

cheers
Craig

Sorry to hijack, but i was looking at these pictures this morning funnily enough

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

DM

posted on 19/5/09 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Then on my 3rd lap the car started cutting out around corners,

reminds me - must check the renewal date on my ADAC membership (well worth having!)

Antnicuk

posted on 19/5/09 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
i was there this weekend in my m3, i would be very nervous in my stylus as I havent been there many times, and couldnt even consider driving it there. The stylus is a real handful.

Its 400 miles from me and even though cruising revs are very good in the stylus, the M3 wore me out, i must be a light weight. The weekend weather was pretty good really but the saturday morning was carnage with loads of brits crashing. A bike went down in front of me on sunday morning when it was damp. He was fine though.

I saw a couple of 7 shape cars and they looked like they were having fun.

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

les

posted on 19/5/09 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
HI,

On the issue of costs, when I was there in april a car span, grazing the barrier so lightly it didnt dent the bumper justg left a mark on it- they charged him 500 euros to repair one section of barrier!!

clearly armco is weaker than plastic!!
I have been going to the ring for 5 years but its becoming very financially risky,

There is alsi the insurance issue- I am happy to risk my own car, the problem arises if someone else is involved, most policies exclude the ring, yet legally you have to have insurance- what can you do!

Les

jeffw

posted on 20/5/09 at 05:18 AM Reply With Quote
Dan (the orginal poster) has been across once in the passenger seat of my Phoenix and once in convoy with me and with a passenger.

The trip across is OK, just a little tedious...you do get a lot of attention from other people on the road....we had people leaning out of cars on the Motorway trying to take photographs

If you have never been I would recomend it even if you don't drive the circuit you could get passanger laps with someone.

DM

posted on 20/5/09 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
getting back to the original point... whilst looking through the classifieds I had spotted some very tasty BEC's and was almost lured in.

There are meny aspects of BEC's that appeal to me but I think when the time comes for a change I'll still be sticking to CEC's

cheers all

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.