Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: My Locost on Piston heads
craig_007

posted on 5/6/09 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
My Locost on Piston heads

I've got my car advertised at the minute on piston heads,Not had too much interest but I'm guessing everyone else trying to sell is much the same.Whats peoples thought with the price of this,Am I being too optomistic since the car is a "Locost" ?

I know I'll never recover what I spent but I thought it would have to be worth something in the region of what I advertised it at !!!

here is link

eddie99

posted on 5/6/09 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
To me, it looks like a reasonable price, if i had spent all that time and money building it, i wouldnt want to sell for any less..

Problem is not many people buying at the moment and so much competition selling

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Guinness

posted on 5/6/09 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I saw your advert. It looks like a great car.

Well spec'd and nicely finished. Can't believe it is worth so little, but as has been said, it's a buyers market and there is a surplus of available cars.

The only things I'd be tempted to do would be to fit a boot cover (the only area of the car that doesn't look finished) and possibly show the car with a road legal set of tyres.

Slicks are cool, but not if you are buying? IMHO a car on road legal tyres looks like it gets used on the road as well as the track. A car with just slicks on, looks like it lives a hard life on the track.

Either fit some new tyres, and sell the slicks off separately, or say slicks available at extra cost?

All IMHO, obvoiusly.

Mike

mr henderson

posted on 5/6/09 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
The price seems fair to me, but people prefer to buy stuff for prices which are bargains rather then fair. When it's a buyers' market then an informed buyer won't be looking to buy at a fair price at all.

A good few years ago a business man I knew advised that sometimes it's best to forget what you paid for something and get rid of whatever it is for whatever you can get and move on.

Only the seller can know if they are in that position or not

John

craig_007

posted on 5/6/09 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input guys,I just been out and took a few pics with the road wheels and tyres on,I never gave it a thought about advertising it with the slicks !!

The only thing that is not finished is the boot area,I was "always" going to get around too that.

smart51

posted on 5/6/09 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
I know nothing about the value of locosts so I'm probably a typical punter. They're funny old things that people have made themselves, not like a proper kit. You can make one yourself for £250 can't you? Usually they're tatty things with home made fibreglass and wobbly aluminium sheet body work. £2000 - £3000 plus £1000 for a good bike engine aren't they?

I don't know but I'd have thought an average buyer would rather have a recognisable kit of any sort than a scratch build, unless the scratch car was fabulous. As an ignorant and uninformed buyer, I'd value a locost somewhere around the same as a robin hood.

Is your bodywork from a recognised manufacturer? I'd mention that in your ad. Some people would be reassured that it will look nice.

[Edited on 5-6-2009 by smart51]

craig_007

posted on 5/6/09 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I see where you coming from,I will update my add again,Luego Velocity bodywork,Again I never thought of mentioning that,Pays to ask questions here !!

As for build quality,I have seen few factory built cars that are really poorly finished(obviously by the punter that put it together)Before I bought mine I looked at a Supercharged R1 Indy,It turned out to be complete dog !! Again it's just your luck I suppose !!

Tidy MNR by the way,Got to be worth 7K all day long in my opinion.

mr henderson

posted on 5/6/09 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
As far as the locost-homemade part of it is concerned, you need to find a way of putting a positive spin on that.

If it has been really well made, then how about saying something like
"made to xxxxx specification by a careful and talented builder who was not pressured by commercial needs, and was able to take his time and do an excellent job, as any inspection will show"

or, if you happen to know his (or her ) name, describe it as a "insert name here" chassis with Luego bodywork

Selling cars, just like building them, needs a bit ot thought

John

2b_pablo

posted on 5/6/09 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
spotted your car myself while looking.

how is the capri axle? Ideally Im looking for an IRS car but open to suggestions.

-----------------

if it aint broke... pull it off and upgrade it!

cd.thomson

posted on 5/6/09 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2b_pablo
spotted your car myself while looking.

how is the capri axle? Ideally Im looking for an IRS car but open to suggestions.

IRS is way overrated for a road based toy. Looking at your thread and this thread - this could possibly be a match made in heaven

Craig

craig_007

posted on 5/6/09 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
When I was orginally looking for a car I was after IRS and a factory built chassis,I failed on both accounts !!
When I seen this car come up I thought it was good spec for the money asked so thought why not,Basically the car just required a little bit of tiding up(little bit of tiding comes at much expense though)

As regards to the Capri live axle,Some say they can be trickier to drive on the main road due to the solid rear axle,I personally have never had an issue with it.The single biggest difference I made regards to handling was getting it set up on corner weights and the geometery all done correctly.
Apparantly the Live axle set up is lighter than the IRS so this turned out to be a bonus for me as I was trying my best to put together a light car !!

Again,For me it came down to cost,This car came at the right money at the time,.

Craig

[Edited on 5/6/09 by craig_007]

2b_pablo

posted on 5/6/09 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
thats interesting to know.

my last kit was a robinhood and it was far too heavy with a pinto and sierra back beam etc so Id vowed to get as light as car as possible

How is the capri axle on track?

-----------------

if it aint broke... pull it off and upgrade it!

craig_007

posted on 5/6/09 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
From what I'm led to believe the live axle is at it's best on a good smooth track,As far as my car is concerned,The handling is superb,I know for a fact I've never pushed anywhere near it's limits around Knockhill,I don't have an LSD in this and very seldom do I get wheel spin when leaving the hairpin at Knockhill but at the same time I run slicks on track.
Jon Ison

posted on 5/6/09 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
£5k looks very fair for that car, not keen on steering wheel but that's a one nut fix.

Live axle, you have to be at 11/10ths to spot a difference imho, plenty of racers have stuck with the live axle.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.