Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC exhaust questions
locoboy

posted on 14/6/09 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
BEC exhaust questions

Guys, its been 18 months since i could jastifiably start a topic in the BEC section, I'm glad to say that I am back on the build again and thankfully i have managed to skirt around the edge of the CEC section, although i may well have dipped a toe in the water to see what its all about!

I have bought Taz's part built project from him and am starting to plan out which way i take the build.

Im estimating some costings etc (dont worry i have built before so i know the "add on 25% to your already wildly over estimated figures" rule!)

One thing im concerned about is the exhaust, Its a GSX-R 1100 and im right in thinking its not the most commonly used engine???????

Therefore im looking for advice on places and if possible any rough prices from experience on getting an exhaust made.

Does anyone know iif it has the same flange pattern as some other comomon suzuki engines? Hayabusa? GSXR1000?

I am casting my mind back now but didnt calvinX use a suzuki engine and he had the exhaust exiting toward the front in an odd fashion?
What engine did he use and anyone see his exhaust and how it was made?

Oh and i will also be looking for a set of SGX-R 1100 carbs, any bright ideas?

Any advice / experiences welcomed
Thanks

ATB
Locoboy

mistergrumpy

posted on 14/6/09 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Calvin had a GXSR 1000 I think it was. He made the exhaust himself, I remember him posting pictures of his welding. He had it in the usual style at first until he failed at SVA then he redid it so that the CAT was inside the bonnet and the exhaust exited flush with the side panel. Queue dirty black patch down the side of it.

locoboy

posted on 16/6/09 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
Someone must have some ideas.............

ATB
Locoboy

VinceGledhill

posted on 16/6/09 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
I would recommend making your own.

Tig welder from machine mart and stainless steel dairy bends will do the trick. Will cost a lot less and you will then have a Tig for free.

Alternatively you could see Martin Keenan.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

disco_biscuit

posted on 16/6/09 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
How about Paul G ( 907 ) he has made one for my MNR

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=113399

matt_gsxr

posted on 16/6/09 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
GSXR1100

is it air or water cooled?

They differ in a number of ways including the spacing of the cylinders (quite important that).

I know a fair amount about water cooled, so this all applies to that, but it may be relevant for air-cooled.

sprocketadapter.co.uk or whatever they are called can supply a propshaft flange adaptor for you (£60). no problems there just tell them what engine!

I got mine manifold from Exhaust By Design (local to me, £425) and used a MK silencer (£150). Anyone who does custom manifolds can do it.

S&S in the USA can supply a manifold at a good price, but its difficult to know whether it will fit!

I have a bike manifold from a WP model that I used temporarily (£50 from e-bay) but don't need anymore. I don't know whether the manifold flanges are interesting, as you can measure the hole spacing for the bolts, and the hole down the middle is going to depend on your pipes.

Water cooled needs a bit of work on the hydraulic clutch (it clashes a bit with prop), there is a posting on here for that already, a few solutions out there (I think air cooled has a cable clutch). Now rocket science, but a bit of a bother.

Regarding carbs. About £80 on the bay of e, but budget for some pain. Water and air cooled are different.

I am struggling to get mine through emissions, and Cloudy also struggled. Basically the 40mm carbs are big which means getting a clean idle is challenging.

oldskool suzuki isn't a bad resource for some of this stuff.

have fun

Matt

matt_gsxr

posted on 16/6/09 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
oh that Taz (there are two).

Yes that is water cooled.

Drop me a U2U if you want.

Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.