Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Radiator Grille (part 2)
David Jenkins

posted on 10/3/04 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Radiator Grille (part 2)

Just a simple question - I'm now ready to fix my ali mesh radiator grille into my nosecone. How have people fixed theirs in?

As far as I can see, I have 2 choices:

1. Fix it in permanently - glue it in with sikaflex equivalent. Certainly permanent, but total destruction if I ever want to take it out again.

2. Devise some way of bolting or screwing it in - a lot of faffing about, maybe for no purpose. On the other hand, removal will be a doddle.

Any good ideas?

rgds,

David

batfasturd

posted on 10/3/04 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
glue bolts inside.
alister667

posted on 10/3/04 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Cable ties seem to be the best bet. They are semi permanent, you'll need some new cable ties if you remove them! Not exactly gonna break the bank however! I used 4, some folks have used 6. I drilled 4 small holes in the lip on the inside of my nosecone and 4 corresponding holes in the grill material. Seems to be a good job.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 10/3/04 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Dave...

we 'spot PU'd ours... just incase!

Bropped a drollock though - we thought it was ally, but it's not it's steel. Untreated... now some masking and spraying involved. Bu**er...

Hellfire

posted on 10/3/04 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Website Update

Our's is just going on-site...

about 1 hr

Alan B

posted on 10/3/04 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by batfasturd
glue bolts inside.

Or, use bighead fasteners....exactly made for that kind of job...

big head

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 10/3/04 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Actually, Im quite amazed I've never seen bigheads mentioned on here before (if they have I missed it).......basically they are a bolt (or a nut) with big perforated base that you bond or laminate into your mouldings for fastening stuff too....very handy indeed....
phil m

posted on 10/3/04 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
I put some plastic edging on the inner lip---bent the edge of the grill material around the the edge and then drilled throughedging and popped some rivets through. Works with small mesh ---which looks best and is rad protective. You may need to put a washer on the bottom of the rivet to hold iti n place

I' ll put a pic on my pic page

Hope this helps , phil

ps bought the grill from bandq and sprayed it chrome + £5-00

David Jenkins

posted on 11/3/04 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I had completely forgotten about cable ties - worth considering, although I have an ali mesh on a yellow nosecone, so they may be a bit prominent. Not ruling them out, though.

Anyone know of a source of bighead fasteners? Particularly some place that will sell me about 10?

An issue for me is that the mesh has very big holes - I didn't want to obstruct the air flow much - which makes fastening a bit more of a problem.

cheers,

David

Mix

posted on 11/3/04 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
How about attaching nuts with filler to the nosecone where it curves back on itself and then attaching the grill with screws and washers from inside ?

Mick

MK9R

posted on 11/3/04 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
if the mesh is too large it fail the radius test at sva. Can't remember where i read abou a car failing for that

How about riveting it to an aluminium ring and fixing the ring to teh noses cone. What a poo description of what i mean!!

[Edited on 11/3/04 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

David Jenkins

posted on 11/3/04 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
if the mesh is too large it fail the radius test at sva. Can't remember where i read abou a car failing for that

First, the tester's 'artificial head' has to reach the mesh! I'm taking steps to deal with that issue.

rgds,

David

timf

posted on 11/3/04 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I had completely forgotten about cable ties - worth considering, although I have an ali mesh on a yellow nosecone, so they may be a bit prominent.

what about the boy racer colout matched yellow cable ties available in halfrauds for lots of wonga

David Jenkins

posted on 11/3/04 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
It's very rare when I go into Halfrauds and find exactly what I want...

It seems to be paint, polish, push-bikes and boy-racers...

Good thought about the yellow ties, tho - but I may look somewhere else for them!

David

MK9R

posted on 11/3/04 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
B&Q do a big box of assorted size and colour cable ties, some of which are yellow. Reasonably priced aswell!! Very usefull box of things to have, my entire house is held together with them now I think cable ties are the new bailing string!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

A Badger

posted on 11/3/04 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Too right!!

If it does move and it shouldn't - use cable ties.

If it doesn't move and it should - use WD40 (or a hammer).

Andrew

Alan B

posted on 11/3/04 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
.....Anyone know of a source of bighead fasteners? Particularly some place that will sell me about 10?.........

Yep....direct from the factory.....no mimimum order I believe, although 10 may fall into the free test sample range..

Worth a call....good people...

David Jenkins

posted on 11/3/04 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
I've sent them an e-mail - with a nice subtle hint that I'm 'experimenting'.

David

Alan B

posted on 11/3/04 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
David....cool..let us know how you get on..

They were very responsive with me....

For them the samples are a good idea...even you never buy any, if they work you'll tell others and the word will spread....I first learned of them 20 years ago through my TVR connections.

OX

posted on 11/3/04 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
i bent the ali around the lip of the nose cone and then used a glue gun to fix it on,,if i need to replace it i could just cut the glue with a knife

David Jenkins

posted on 13/3/04 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
I made my mind up!

I went for ties in the end - I used the smallest translucent whitish ones and they're almost invisible.

Thanks everyone!

David

P.S. I'm still making enquiries about the bighead fasteners - I have a use for them elsewhere.

givemethebighammer

posted on 14/3/04 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
I did what MK9R said, I fibreglassed an aluminium ring inside the nose cone, the grill is attached from the inside of the nose cone to the alu ring using self tapping screws. You can't see the ring from the outside.
Lightning

posted on 14/3/04 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thats what I had planned to do.

Bought my grill today....

Black fire guard.... £8. Fine interwoven mesh but little restriction to the airflow.

Steve

Peteff

posted on 14/3/04 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
My grille is a fine stainless mesh and I bent it back round the edge of the aperture in the front of the nosecone and glued it in place with bodyfiller because I had a lot of it handy and it's cheap. I don't think I will need to remove it as the nosecone comes off without much effort to get to stuff inside it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Lightning

posted on 15/3/04 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Pete, thats what I'm going to do.

I agree I dont know why you should want to take it off. On my last 7 I never had need to.

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.