Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Scooby knocking noise
stevetzoid

posted on 4/8/09 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Scooby knocking noise

Hi all, ooop's low oil level in my scooby 2.Litre WRX not checked the oil for sometime because I only use the car once a week if that and now it's started knocking on start up and while running, I fear the worst big ends gone. Has anyone had a similar experience or any knowledge of what is likely to go first on low oil. The turbo sounds ok and there was no oil light on!!. it's only done 34000 from new. 52 plate in the wagon format any advise on where to go I live in leicestershire. Goodes think about £4000-£5000 to fix it depending on what's gone.
No jokes about the dip stick please!!!.

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/8/09 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
worn big ends sound like a rumbling knocking noise that is loudest when you rev it and then take your foot off the throttle, all the other bearings tend to be a lighter noise. If you’ve actually let the oil pressure fall (you may just have not noticed the light while driving), then it’s most likely that. If you drain the oil now then you'll probably find lots of silver metal from the trashed bearings.

does it sound like this? tube linky

or this

[Edited on 4/8/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Toltec

posted on 4/8/09 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
A faint chance but...

I had a loud tapping coming from the top end of my scooby once, turned out one of the plug caps had worked loose. It sounded surprisingly mechanical as if something was going very wrong with the cam/valves.

Scott W

posted on 4/8/09 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
We had a similar sound with our Scooby engine and unfortunately for us one of our pistons had melted. Ended up having to get a new block which was around £3k mark all in.

Our oil warning light never came on when this happened and it is a known problem with a particular piston (3 I think but don't hold me to it!).

Guinness

posted on 4/8/09 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
or this

Jesus, that sounds like a diesel tractor!

Mike

foes

posted on 4/8/09 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Prone to piston slap aren't they..? I thought it was quite a common problem with them, sounds worse from cold and when under load...

BUT, if you've run it low on oil

[Edited on 4/8/09 by foes]

meany

posted on 4/8/09 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Piston slap was an issue on 97/98 model years.

Because your mentioning a low oil level issue, I would say its probably No:3 main bearing as already mentioned... for some reason that one seems to go.

also not unknown to "spin" a main bearing shell too.

A bit hard to diagnose without actually hearing it though.

bigpig

posted on 4/8/09 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yep a couple of my mates from up north both had the same problem with pot 3 giving up the ghost.

Of course with no oil it could have also caused other damage which won't really surface for a couple of thousand more miles.

Are old Goodes quoting their price or an average garage price? I would have thought the latter considering you are probably in the engine rebuild territory.

There are a few places around that do rebuilds, one up in the troon estate I spoke to before who seem to know their stuff about pintos and gave me some decent advice for free when they could have charged me for diagnostics.

bigpig

posted on 4/8/09 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yep a couple of my mates from up north both had the same problem with pot 3 giving up the ghost.

Of course with no oil it could have also caused other damage which won't really surface for a couple of thousand more miles.

Are old Goodes quoting their price or an average garage price? I would have thought the latter considering you are probably in the engine rebuild territory.

There are a few places around that do rebuilds, one up in the troon estate I spoke to before who seem to know their stuff about pintos and gave me some decent advice for free when they could have charged me for diagnostics.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.