Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Public Relations
Fifer

posted on 24/3/04 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
MK Public Relations

Just a quick bitch really, I dont have an MK but whilst at the Staford show and having driven 400 miles to get there !, I spotted MK selling these black double bubble type wind deflectors that fit in lue of an aero screen.
Asked the guy on the stand how much. (and I quote) "£30 , we just had them laying about and brought them to get rid of them" . I was reaching into my pocket for the cash when he said (unprompted !) "if you give me ten minutes, I'll see the other guy on the stand when he comes back and you may get it even cheaper". As a Scotsman and never one to spend money unnecesarily, I went for a wander for ten minutes, came back, and spoke to a diferent chap than before explaining the conversation ten minutes ago with the other lad.
"£30 quid, you must be jocking was the reply, they are £40, we couldnt make them for £30 !"
The origional guy appears and standing sheepishly, allows me and the wife to walk away muttering ar**h***s

Just glad I dont have to deal with MK to get my car completed.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 24/3/04 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Cant really blame MK.. it was just the muppet on the stand, probably standing in while the other guy was doing something.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Fifer

posted on 24/3/04 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
I dont agree, if the muppet as you say was able to come up with £30 as the price, he / they, should stick by that or at the very least, offer something off the £40 due to the confusion.
The point is, they both stood like Muppets and couldnt care less.

By the way, on the Luego stand, (and most other stands I visited) they couldnt have been nore helpful and attentive.

Just thought I would share my bitching with everyone !!!!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 24/3/04 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
yeh, i suppose they should of said sorry about it. So do have to agree with you a bit.... did you try and argue the fact that he should uphold the £30 ? Northeners can be a bit rude lmfao

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Hellfire

posted on 24/3/04 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm...

ALL IMHO OF COURSE

Although this is not an excuse it may 'at least' give a bit more insight.

MK are basically a manufacturing company, they are not a large corporate with mega-resources and the like.

Maybe, the "muppet" you spoke to was one of the guys from the shop floor, maybe not even working for MK, but a helpful hand for the day. He would have felt like a fish out of water!

With 20/20 hindsight he may now realise he should have kept schtum, but he never he tried to help and verbally dug (what sounds like) quite a hole for himself. The other guy obviously interjected but the damage was done. Again with hindsight - it's then damage limitation and the other guy perhaps didn't help also - but let's not loose sight of the fact that initially the guy tried to help.

This is the underlying fact with MK - they genuinely tried to help - from how you speak, it sounds like you have had very little experience with MK and as such your opinion now has become slightly tarnished. Sometimes mistakes are made and we have to live with that - and perhaps judging any company based on one brief encounter is the wrong way to judge. Your consequent meetings with other manufacturers obviously went better, but does that mean they become instantly better companies - I suggest not.

I think a term could be used here to it's best advantage - "Don't judge a book by it's cover"... we aswell as many, many other's have found MK to be a wealth of information and as far as helpfulness goes the helpful pit seems to be almost bottomless...

I'm sure they are sorry for this incident - but I don't think they will loose sleep over it - and they will no doubt learn (as MK are good at that) and act differently next time.

Fifer

posted on 24/3/04 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Breifly, but couldnt beleive one of them never said "tell you what, for you, today only, my freind etc etc, £35 quid" or something.
Was caught off gaurd so walked away pi**ed off.
My own fault i guess, should have just handed the first guy 30 quid and buggered off into the crowd

Fifer

posted on 24/3/04 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the lecture hellfire, no prizes for guessing your cars badge !
You are right of course about judging books etc .
(Not so sure about tarnishing my opinion status though, a bit personal)
My opinion was, and still is, that the service, on the day, was less than profesional.
When you run a business, it's incidents like this that can do irrepairable damage for one or more prospective future customers, and that can, and should bother all manufacturers.
My question to you is, where did the first guy get £30 from ? Are you sugesting that a "helper for the day" would just decide on the spot what to charge for something and make up a story about just wanting rid of them !!
By the way, I wont loose sleep over it either

A Badger

posted on 24/3/04 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
It's surprising how many companies can wind you up no matter how slick and professional they look and no matter how much they spend on making themselves slick and professional.

I for one would rather put up with dealing with a comany who give it to you straight, even if sometimes that means that you have to make an effort as well.

Just think how much the screen would have been if MK was trying to be different.

Having said that I think you just got to see the human factor, I agree an opps Sorry I gave you the wrong price and maybe a deal would have been in order, but I don't always say the right thing so I'm sure others are allowed to.

We that's my opinion (Could be total boll*cks though)

Andrew

Hellfire

posted on 24/3/04 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
dam you spotted the badge on the front - 10/10 for observation.

Ant

posted on 24/3/04 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Are you not also biased by knowing the founders of MK from your school days?

I, too, found MK to be less than professional at Stafford. Luego get a huge 'thumbs up' from me for spending plenty of time explaining all the available options, and encouraging my 3 year old daughter to 'have a go' in the drivers seat. The only other company to come close was Westfield, who gave me an info pack, rather than charging for it. Always nice to get something for free!

shortie

posted on 24/3/04 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Got to say that I have dealt with MK on a few occasions and also visited the workshop.

As Hellfire says by their own admission they are a manufacturing company and not salesmen.

I can only say that they have always been exceptionally helpful to me and as such I have ordered their kit.

Rich.

Hellfire

posted on 24/3/04 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Fortunate........ Yes. Biased?........... maybe so. But the opinion above is unbiased. People make mistakes - its human nature. All IMHO of course

If you judge a company on first impressions - so be it.

Staple balls

posted on 24/3/04 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
ladies. ladies.

so what? they screwed up a bit, it's a well known fact that MK are a little crap at the customer side of things, but then they're a small company, and in that aren't gonna be working at a loss to please a single customer, if they did that. mk would cease to be and the locost/kitcar industry would be down a company, allowing the prices to rise for all the competitors. of course, we won't look at the bigger picture, you're the most important person in the world.

yes i am building an mk, that doesn't make me biased, that just means i've seen Mk in thier natural habitat of sitting around, drinking tea and making the odd car here and there.

by no means are they a car company, more just engineers making stuff and then selling it.

Fifer

posted on 24/3/04 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Like i said at the start of the post, just having a bitch about something.
No one at home listens to me anymore so thought I'd do it here

David Jenkins

posted on 24/3/04 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fifer
No one at home listens to me anymore

Er... pardon?

paulbeyer

posted on 24/3/04 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
C'mon Fifer you should know better than dare to criticise MK on this forum.

I too am building an Indy but I'll keep my thoughts and feelings to myself, although they have been shared with others offline.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

dblissett

posted on 24/3/04 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
mk

i think fifer should be able to say what he thinks on here thats the whole point of the web site IMHO
i have dealt with both leugo and mk both companys were helpfull and there parts were both of good quality it just seems like a bad day on a stand for a new boy to me
cheers dave

Peteff

posted on 24/3/04 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've never had a problem with them. I went there today for some oval wishbone tube but I defend everybodies' right to criticise on here. Anyway fifer sold me some alloys so I'll stick up for him

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Hellfire

posted on 25/3/04 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
It's a forum, thats what its for. Moans, groans, laughs, criticism, praise etc etc etc.....

Well..... this section is. It would be a sad world if we weren't allowed to express our opinions

Fifer

posted on 25/3/04 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Best thing about these types of threads is the way they end up swerving around from subject to subject and end up in a discusion about something completely diferent .
I'ts like the WW1 joke that ends, sorry about that, we thought you said "send three and fourpence were going to a dance" not, "send reinforcements were going to advance",

Hellfire

posted on 26/3/04 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
Not bitchin' though - it's all said with a light heart, nothing personal. We're all on here to help each other so... let the banter continue... have fun!

DEAN C.

posted on 26/3/04 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Having myself helped MK on the stands in previous years I can vouch for how difficult it is if you are not used to the prices etc,I myself would have been more cautious in giving prices without being sure.
It sound as if the person on the stand was a well meaning helper.
I have had my own business' and managed others as I now do,and it's not easy dealing with customers if you're not used to it.
If you have'nt done it it's easy to criticise!
I'm not making excuses for anyone,just saying it's hard to please everyone(especially tight scotsmen and southerners)
ONLY JOKING!!!!!!!
It's nice to see this didn't get too serious as we should all try to help each other and not keep bickering as has happened in the past.And of course everyone should have a right to their opinions

DEAN........trying to be unbiased

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

andyps

posted on 26/3/04 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DEAN C.
Having myself helped MK on the stands in previous years I can vouch for how difficult it is if you are not used to the prices etc,I myself would have been more cautious in giving prices without being sure.
It sound as if the person on the stand was a well meaning helper.
I have had my own business' and managed others as I now do,and it's not easy dealing with customers if you're not used to it.
If you have'nt done it it's easy to criticise!
I'm not making excuses for anyone,just saying it's hard to please everyone(especially tight scotsmen and southerners)
ONLY JOKING!!!!!!!
It's nice to see this didn't get too serious as we should all try to help each other and not keep bickering as has happened in the past.And of course everyone should have a right to their opinions

DEAN........trying to be unbiased

Absolutely - but if you want to give a good impression it is vital that anyone given responsibility for dealing with customers (and potential customers) should represent the company as it wants to be seen. No excuses - at least on here there are plenty of people who support MK and will defend them, but what if someone who has no other experience of them had had this happen?

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Peteff

posted on 27/3/04 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
send three and fourpence were going to a dance" not, "send reinforcements were going to advance",

I was that soldier. Everybody else was wearing full battle gear and I turned up in my tux with a flower in my buttonhole The corporal shouted "over the top lad" and I said "well it's nicer than what they're wearing but I can get rid of the flower if I must"
I made that up but what the hell.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DEAN C.

posted on 27/3/04 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
WHAT?

I've got a "Snap on" fleece top, does that count?
Think I'll go and lie down for a while!

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.