Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What mods are required to take a 5JJ R1 car on track safely?
Gergely

posted on 10/9/09 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
What mods are required to take a 5JJ R1 car on track safely?

Hi, I am after some help for a friend who has a 5JJ R1 engined Indy. Since I have a 5VY engined MNR and I had to have modifications to it, I want to help him avoid a costly mistake...

He has a sump baffle plate, but other than that, uses everything as standard, even the airbox is the same as on the bike, the radiator, fans are from the bike, too and the cooling pipes are all routed as on the bike originally.

Would he be able to take the car safely to the track? Or are there any other modifications required (AIS breathers, oil catch tank, exhaust port modifications, etc...)? How much oil should he have? Overfilled slightly?

Can anyone with a 5JJ engine who races or goes on track confirm, please?

He is on the road for more than a year now, so the car is reliable. (And he doesn't speak too well English, hence me asking it here...)

Thanks!
Gergely

Our build pictures

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
progers

posted on 10/9/09 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Gergely,

I raced a 5PW engined Phoenix for several years and also tracked a 5JJ car (MK Indy) before that. The engines are almost identical apart from the fueling system.

Basically the engine works well with just a baffle plate and slight overfill of oil (its much simpler/reliable than your engine in that respect). For oil level, get the engine warm, at tickover the oil should be somewhere between the middle and the max fill mark of the sight glass.

Other than that he shouldn't have any major problems. I used the R1 radiator and it works well if it has air properly ducted to it. The only mod I made to my race car was to have a small oil cooler as well - not strictly needed for a trackday car.

Hope that helps

Paul

StevieB

posted on 10/9/09 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Baffle plate is pretty much it - I'd recommend a jet and needle kit and foam filter from TTS for a little more grunt but thats about as much as it needs.

As said, a slight overfill on the oil (I keep mine at the top of the sight glass when warm at tickover) and keep a regular eye on the oil level as R1's like to get through a bit quicker than some.

Coose

posted on 11/9/09 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
As Steve says, keep an eye on the oil and keep the level at the top of the sight glass at tickover. It WILL burn oil but don't worry about it, just enjoy!

Spin 'er off Well...

Gergely

posted on 11/9/09 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys! I explained to him all what you suggested, so hopefully he will join me on the track soon!
Cheers,
Gergely

Our build pictures

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.