Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Trailer design
ChrisW

posted on 30/3/04 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Trailer design

Been thinking about this for a while and just wondered what you lot thought...

Want a car trailer to pull with my Cabrio. It's not the best made car in the world so I'd like to take as much of the load off the tow bar as possible. So... why not have a trailer with a wheel in each corner? Obviously the front wheels would either need some kind of steering arrangement or a rotating bogey and it would be a right pain to reverse but apart from that is there any reason why it's not done? As far as I can see it would relieve all the vertical force on the tow bar and, with a decent braking system, should put far less stress on the car whilst towing.

The scenery trucks at work are like this but obviously they only get pulled around the various stores and the studios. They're certainly big things and take a lot of weight tho'.

Your thoughts...?

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JamJah

posted on 30/3/04 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
I dont see it be a problem. Farm trailers are often 6 axle beasts with the first axle mounted as far forward as reasonally possible.

Nosey bit... Where do you work? Thought you were an ISP but obviously got that wrong!

Viper

posted on 30/3/04 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
That kind of set up is called a drawbar whether that is classed as a trailer you can tow with a car is beyond me, if you have a properly balanced trailer the nose weight will not be excesive anyway, check you cars handbook it should tell you what kind of weight you can put on your tow bar.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 30/3/04 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
If you try towing anything with a PugSkip, you will find the door gaps opening up a bit. Pininfarina or no Pininfarina!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Spyderman

posted on 31/3/04 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
With the axles separated to the front and rear it would then become an articulated vehicle and would require an HGV licence.
The only way around that is if it is classed as an agricultural vehicle.

Spyderman

A Badger

posted on 31/3/04 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Your not saving much by separating the axles, most trailors only put 70kg of nose weight on the tow hook, any more is unsafe.

You'll still get the same pulling forces which ever way you do it and they are the bigger ones.

Andrew

andyps

posted on 2/4/04 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
I would think that a standard 4 wheel trailer would be OK - as long as the car on the trailer is placed correctly the nose weight should be low (but you do need some nose weight).

Just make sure you load the car when the trailer is not connected to the Pug - nearly had the back of my car off the ground once when doing this!

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Fifer

posted on 2/4/04 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Max ball hitch weight by law is 70kg as sugested above.
Ideal is 40 - 50 kg, this is nothing (get an eight stone person to stand on the ball, thats it) No less than this or you'll look like some of the caravan Bozzo's with the rear end of the car 15 inches in the air and swerving all over the road.
If you get the trailer nose weight right, with a braked twin axle trialer, you wont know it's there !
By the way, wheels at each corner is a no go.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.