Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: power commander
corrado vr6

posted on 7/10/09 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
power commander

Have read a few posts about power commanders and just wondering wether i actually need 1! I have an 06 R1 injected engine, so far all the posts i have read have been about carb'd engines. Really what im after is an explenation of what the power commander does? and if i do need one then wheres the best place to get one from?
Thanks Greg

http://r1indy7.wordpress.com/

Andy B

posted on 7/10/09 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Greg
effectively the power commander takes the place of a jet kit for carbed models when you move onto injection. Its function in life is to give you the ability to break into the fuel map and add or subtract fuel throughout the mapped curve.
It is important as bike engines are in a very high state of tune in standard form which means they are very suceptable to changes in induction and exhaust, both things we tend to alter when we put them in cars. Normally when installed in a car we see lean areas in the fuelling which is not good for pistons etc
A commander will also allow the dyno guys to smooth out power delivery and glitches usually caused by aftermarket pipes.
We keep power commanders in stock and the R1 unit is £289 inc vat plus carriage
hope that has explained things for you
regards
Andy

Major Stare

posted on 7/10/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting, im toying with fitting one for my 2003 R1.

On top of that price, what other costs, i pressume a rolling road? Or can a map be downloaded?

Jon "FISH"

Hellfire

posted on 7/10/09 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
You can download some standard maps with various custom exhausts and filters but IMO the whole point of fitting a Power Commander is to be able to get optimum fuelling throughout the rev range, which is best done on a rolling road.

Phil

Andy B

posted on 7/10/09 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly what Phil said, you will get a reasonable compromise downloading someone elses map from the power commander community if you look for someone running a similar set up but to get it spot on a Dyno session will always be best.
You can get a discount at PDQ and Lynx's dyno if you mention our name
regards
Andy

Coose

posted on 7/10/09 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Or, rather than dyno time buy your own air/fuel meter and a lambda sensor and do it yourself....

Spin 'er off Well...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.