Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Merkur XR4Ti in the US
sean951

posted on 10/4/04 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Merkur XR4Ti in the US

Lets say i could find one of these things over here in the US as a junker, or i could buy individual components off of one. are These things exactly like a sierra in the UK? my main concern is with the suspinsion parts, front uprights, diff, etc. I want to make sure that if i ordered allready made front wishbones that are made to fit the UK sierra front uprights that they would fit on the Merkur uprights. Just curious
britishtrident

posted on 10/4/04 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Merkur = Sierra Xr4 however beware the of differences between 2wd and 4wd versions. The front balljoint fittings on the 4X4 are different from the 2wd Sierra and also the 2.8 has power steering.

[Edited on 10/4/04 by britishtrident]

NS Dev

posted on 14/4/04 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Right, you probably know all this already but the XR4Ti is NOT the same as the XR4i in Europe. The XR4Ti uses a "Lima" turbo engine, which is a brazilian built Pinto 2.3 turbo, not the 2.8v6 that the XR4i uses in the European market.

The suspension is the same though with different spring rates, as the XR4i.

The good bit if you can find an XR4Ti is that it used the super strong 71/2 inch differential, rather than the 7 inch used on the XR4i and XR4x4 in Europe.

The axle ratio on the XR4Ti is 3.64:1, the ratio on the XR4i is 3.62:1, so nearly the same.

The only other major differences were that the XR4Ti used great big fat bumpers not used in Europe, and the speedo was only calibrated to read up to 80mph for some strange reason!!

A total or 45,748 XR4Ti's were produced, versus 25,662 XR4i's and around 45,000 XR4x4's.

There, I am really a sad Fordite!!

NS Dev

posted on 14/4/04 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
To answer your question better now I have read it again!!

yes, the Merkur front uprights/hubs are the same as the sierra 2wd front items in the uk. The rear differential is the same as the "Sierra Cosworth 2wd" in the UK, so if you mention that to the supplier of your "kit" then they will tell you if you can fit that differential (it may not fit some kits without adaptation)

I don't know whether the XR4Ti had power steering, if it did, this may not be compatible with many of the kits in the UK.

Most Merkur XR4Ti's had auto transmission as well which would not be ideal!

steve m

posted on 15/4/04 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
Just for info I have the ford original work shop manuals for the us spec xr4ti
any one want to make an offer ???

and has been said this car does differ to the uk spec car considrably

I used to have a US spec car, great fun
and with a hybrid turbo and chip and most of the emission crap taken off , it was very quick

merkurman

posted on 30/4/04 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have one....

they use power steering and some had a zf and some had a ford rack. I would dump that rack and go with a pinto or mustang II rack inteh states. cheap come in a million flavors and many places make custom widths.

the xr4ti rear is the 7.5 but is open and has 3.36 and 3.64 gears (can't remember which is auto and which is stick)

if you are getting a UK kit then it would be a good donor but if you are gonna built a chassis then I would source US parts....

a 89+ tbird has an AL 7.5 diff in the v6 base model cars that uses regular guts (can get a LSD out of a older stang or tbird for cheap and tons of gear options for cheap) as there are no suppliers of the euro 7.5 in the US....there are a couple but a gearset will cost more than building up a whole US diff.

pinto/mustang rack

zetec is a nice choice but no bells for a T9 in the US. I think someone makes a T5 bell for it but the T5 weighs so much more.

are far as front end bits everything else should work fine. worst case would be the front BJ's and you might be able to find something in the US for them or if it was me just have the xr uprights reamed for a US spec BJ...will cost but being able to get parts anywhere at anytime is far worth it.

Nick

1962 fairlane with a 200" six and T5 5spd, shaved trim air ride, t3/t4 turbo and soon to be EFI
-- looking to put a offy tripower intake on soon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dale

posted on 1/5/04 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
The lima is usable and great hp/$ but is wide and there is no way in hell you can get it under a bonnet without a good size scoop. With a t5 and bell you could only get away with cutting maybe 3/4 of an inch out of the pan as the bell is low on the engine. A custom barrel style intake may save youaround 4 inches on height and gain you several hp.

Dale Rescued attachment Resize of DSCF0023.JPG
Rescued attachment Resize of DSCF0023.JPG

merkurman

posted on 1/5/04 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
I am leaning towards one of my 60's inline sixes.....lower VE but much lighter. I have a 3.3L that weighs less than the lima motor and is roughly the same size. it has a three speed tranny that doesn't even weigh 50#.

a gm quad4 might be a good choice. there is someone that make s a t5 bell for them and the injectors sit in the head so custom intakes are pretty easy to make.

Dale: why are you running the early intake on that lima motor? the 85+ sqaure intake flow better and ports out nicely. are you running the turbo?

Nick

1962 fairlane with a 200" six and T5 5spd, shaved trim air ride, t3/t4 turbo and soon to be EFI
-- looking to put a offy tripower intake on soon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dale

posted on 1/5/04 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
I have just rebuild it partially rings looked good, reground the valves, head gastget and rod bearings. Engine still had the origanal hone marks in it but I am not going to touch the intakes or port the head till I have it running and know the turbos good. Instead of going to the square intake I may build a upper tube intake and put the throtal body on the end of it which would lower my engine height by probably 4 or 5 inches. Suposed to give better flow than the gutted square one. Trying to find space for the intercooler up front as well.
Very good hp/$ engine though. I have no more than $350. cnd in engine and tranny so far.
Dale

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.