Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any Tilers out there?
John P

posted on 22/11/09 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Any Tilers out there?

Our neighbours have asked me if I would like to tile their kitchen for them as a paid job. I've done this sort of thing before for myself and friends but not when I've had to give a price.

The kitchen is quite large but what they want is just the space between the worktop and cupboards tiled to form a splashback. The tiles are 10cm sq tumbled limestone.

Appart from the cupbaords there is a cooker splashback to create and two windows to go around including the sills.

The total area is probably around 4.5 sq metres but there will obviously be a lot of cutting with the windows, power points, etc.

Any idea what a fair price would be? Although they are neighbours they are not friends as such so I'd like to quote a real price.

John.

mr henderson

posted on 22/11/09 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
There is no such thing as a 'fair price'. What you need to do is to figure out, or guess, how long it will take you to do. Then you multiply the number of hours by how much you want to earn per hour. Then you add the cost of any materials you need to supply.

If you are sensible you then add on a little bit for contigencies and call backs. Then you have your price and that's what you quote. They either accept it or they don't

Don't try to be 'fair' If you work out price properly you are being fair to yourself, if they accept and you do a good job then you are being fair to them, that's all you can hope for

02GF74

posted on 22/11/09 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Are my eyes deceiveing me? Mr H you're back.

Welcome back.

I was almost in Aylesbury today.

And almost almost in Chesham. Twice.

(neither was intentional).

oh, and yeah, wot ^^^ he said.

but beware, my friend got his neighbs to do his bathroom, I saw it and it was brilliant, but there were faults with it and it went horribly wrong, not a prob if you are not on friendly terms.

[Edited on 22/11/09 by 02GF74]

mr henderson

posted on 22/11/09 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
Are my eyes deceiveing me? Mr H you're back.

Welcome back.

]

I've not been away, I only post now if it's something that really interests me (don't want to provoke any of the ar$eholes here), and this stuff does indeed interest me, having spent some time as a contractor.

I should have added, to what I said earlier, there is a saying that one should never work for friends or family, and some would include neighbours in that. I don't think I would, but some would.

Peteff

posted on 22/11/09 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
I did a similar job for my niece when their tiler let them down. I had to plaster and leave it a week before I could start, then I tiled on three sides of the kitchen a metre deep with a window on one wall and washing machine on another and cutting out for power points and between units and worktop. When asked how much I wanted for doing it I just said cover my fuel and materials. Her dad gave me £200 which I was happy and well in pocket as they supplied tiles and grout/adhesive, the tiler had quoted them in the region of £1200. Mates' rates is o.k. when you are not depending on the money but don't sell yourself short there are plenty of busy fools.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

02GF74

posted on 22/11/09 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
And Mr H will demonstrate
10 somersets he'll undertake
on solid ground

Do you mean Somerset, the county or somersault, the acrobatic manoeuvre?

I suspect the latter as there is only 1 Somerset.

mr henderson

posted on 22/11/09 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
And Mr H will demonstrate
10 somersets he'll undertake
on solid ground

Do you mean Somerset, the county or somersault, the acrobatic manoeuvre?

I suspect the latter as there is only 1 Somerset.

You'll have to ask John Lennon

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Being-for-the-Benefit-of-Mr-Kite-lyrics-The-Beatles/8086A7A313DB3CAA48256BC20013F213

(Last verse)

[Edited on 22/11/09 by mr henderson]

02GF74

posted on 22/11/09 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
got the ouija board out and John says somersa ult

BTW he's having as great time drinking champers with Elvis and Kurt, so he tells me.

mr henderson

posted on 22/11/09 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

BTW he's having as great time drinking champers with Elvis and Kurt, so he tells me.

Have a listen to the track, you'll hear the 'sets' clearly.

Have a read of the poster on which the song was based.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6f/MrKitePoster.jpg

bigfoot4616

posted on 22/11/09 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
i would only do a job like that on day rate, give them a rough figure on the high side if you have to.

its surprising how long it takes to do all the cutting around sockets etc. they are the bits that make the job as well

ReMan

posted on 22/11/09 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Have a listen to the track, you'll hear the 'sets' clearly.

Have a read of the poster on which the song was based.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6f/MrKitePoster.jpg

I'm with Mr $enderson on this one

spewing

posted on 22/11/09 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfoot4616its surprising how long it takes to do all the cutting around sockets etc. they are the bits that make the job as well

If the splash back hasnt been tiled before physically take off all the sockets and check that there will be enough slack in the cable to accommodate tiles and make sure you have longer patres screws to screw them back on (couple £ for a box of 100 from electrical factors)

Also if you haven't seen one before check out this

http://www.tradetiler.com/acatalog/Grout_Washing___Cleaning_.html

The wash boy quite literally paid for its self the first time i took it out of the box (its that good and quick)

Kev

bigfoot4616

posted on 23/11/09 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
use a wash boy on floors but for walls i prefer to use a sponge, takes longer but does a better job IMO.

wash boy is handy when you've left the grout on a bit to long and need to go like bleep to clean it of

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.