Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sky HD update
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 30/11/09 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Sky HD update

Finally after months of waiting they updated my HD to the new system today. Woohoo!

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

McLannahan

posted on 30/11/09 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Is HD worth it Liam? I have Freesat HD in bedroom and it's ok - noticeable but not great. I've Sky + downstairs and I'm very tempted to HD it...but is it worth it?
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 30/11/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
50/50 really to be honest, though we very seldom watch it actually, it is VERY good on wildlife progs and sports

I much prefer the different software though, that makes it worth it imho. you can preview channels in the guide without going into them. continue watching your channel whilst searching the guide and get information on channels without going into the guide

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

coozer

posted on 30/11/09 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have had the upgrade and new card for a while now and it keeps crashing, freezing on channels, telling me theres no signal etc.

Have to keep unplugging and rebooting it 2~3 times a week!

I'm thinking of canceling my HD subscription as apart from the cricket theres nothing much to watch and its not much better than the normal channels. Biggest improvement for me was Monster scart cables that improved the picture quality no end, although I mainly use the HDMI connection these days.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

philw

posted on 30/11/09 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I have had the upgrade and new card for a while now and it keeps crashing, freezing on channels, telling me theres no signal etc.

I've heard a few people saying this.

Must try harder

daniel mason

posted on 30/11/09 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
me to coozer. same issues amd ive had mine updated for months now. im already on my 2nd hd box. i just keep complaining and they keep giving me stuff!
adam1985

posted on 30/11/09 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
i was looking into having sky hd but i just think its a little expensive for only about 30 channels most of which i would never watch
JohnN

posted on 30/11/09 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Size matters

The bigger the TV, the better Sky HD looks

mads

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by philw
quote:

I get this with my Sky+ box, particularly over the last 2-3 months. Had a new viewing card but still get error messages saying "No Viewing Card". As soon as i take it out and put it back in, it works.

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

RazMan

posted on 30/11/09 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
I have had HD for about 6 months now and although my eyesight isn't all it should be I definitely notice the difference in both sound and vision. I use the optical output into my AV amp to get the full benefit of the surround sound (when broadcast) Mind you .... 52" of plasma screen at 1080i does help a bit too

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jubal

posted on 1/12/09 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mads
quote:
quote:

I get this with my Sky+ box, particularly over the last 2-3 months. Had a new viewing card but still get error messages saying "No Viewing Card". As soon as i take it out and put it back in, it works.

All these problems are known problems. I had them and I also had issues recording and playing back HD. I went through three HD boxes after we got the upgrade some months ago. These issues seem to affect Thomson boxes more than others. The problem is compounded by engineers swapping your box for a refurbed box which is exactly the same!

I eventually got a new Amstrad box and it's been rock solid. Speak to sky and get it sorted, they replaced mine for free despite it being three years old. I just kept on at them about how unfair it was that I was paying for a service I couldn't use. GL.

Blackcab

posted on 1/12/09 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
I ordered Sky hd and they told me up to 7 weeks - my pal ordered his as a new customer and it came in 4 days ! .. Sky really dislike there existing customers !
David Jenkins

posted on 1/12/09 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Tell them that you want to end your contract - that usually gets them motivated!

MikeRJ

posted on 1/12/09 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
If I could just upgrade and get an HD box to install myself, I would be seriously tempted, but they want me to pay for an engineer to come and "install" it, i.e. connect a few wires. No way am I paying for something that would take me ten minutes to do.

I did my own Sky+ install using a new dish/LNB and a s/h box I bought from ebay (and stuck a 250GB drive in), and Sky had no problem with that, but for the cost of the HD box I'd want a new one with some warranty.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 1/12/09 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Engineer, lol. Not by a long stretch. Makes me laugh and I wonder what the like of Sky and BG actually call their 'proper' engineers??

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
but they want me to pay for an engineer to come and "install" it,

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

MikeRJ

posted on 3/12/09 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
Engineer, lol. Not by a long stretch.

Indeed, using the same standards I am now able to refer to myself as a flooring engineer since I laid some carpet and laminate!

RazMan

posted on 3/12/09 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Join the club - I'm an armchair engineer!

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 4/12/09 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mads
quote:
quote:

The virgin hd box isn't much better with that either, and again for the channels we watch it's not really worth it... Now if Dave and Comedy Central came in HD..

Mind you on our 32" Sony there's not a lot of difference, it's just a bit clearer

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.