Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fitting a duct?
scutter

posted on 14/12/09 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Fitting a duct?

As i don't like bodywork in any form, I'm after ideas on how to fit a Naca duct into my nosecone? I want to fit, one of these.

roughly here.

i'd prefer not to paint it, but i need the join to be nice and neat.

Many Thanks Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Findlay234

posted on 14/12/09 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Fit it from below. Its going to need to be curved to smoothly butt against the inner surface of the nose but as long as you smooth the edges of the hole you cut it should be fine. could even use a very small amount of black paint around the hole edge to cover anything up (yes i know you said you dont want to paint but i cant see you getting away with no paint at all. unless you used edging strip of the edges....
Richard Quinn

posted on 14/12/09 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
I'd put it in from the top and just use the nice carbon lip as a sort of surround. Cut out larger than the duct but smaller than the lip and Sikaflex it in.
afj

posted on 14/12/09 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
like this i guess your going to connect it to your airbox, might be more complex with the naca duct shown, the one i used is from carbon mods with a round 75mm outlet they even let you download a template for you to print on paper then cut out

[Edited on 14/12/09 by afj] Rescued attachment done 11809 015.jpg
Rescued attachment done 11809 015.jpg

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

scutter

posted on 14/12/09 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Not feeding an airbox, more cooling/diluting the radiator output air temp. I didn't fit the airbox in the pic and went with a sausage filter.

ATB Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
afj

posted on 14/12/09 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
duct the rad like a cateringvan r500 style

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Theshed

posted on 14/12/09 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Probably not great to push air behind the rad...less flow through rad....more heat.
scutter

posted on 15/12/09 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
With my Catervan style bonnet vents, i seem to have no problem with air pressures across the rad. More worried about high air temps at the throttle bodies.

ATB Dan.

bigfoot4616

posted on 16/12/09 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
fitted mine from below. sikaflexed it first then fiberglassed it when that had gone of. cut the bodywork to suit afterwards. then filled in any small gaps between the duct and bodywork with a bit of sikaflex.
i was painting the whole lot after (apart from the duct) but all you would have to do is touch in the cut edge

[Edited on 16/12/09 by bigfoot4616]

scutter

posted on 16/12/09 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
Outstanding just what i was after, Many thanks to everyone.

ATB Dan.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.