Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: anyone built a carport?
john_p_b

posted on 14/12/09 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
anyone built a carport?

as title really? just wondering how much of a challenge it can be?

want to build it the length of the side of my house and mate it up to the garage so i'm fully closed in at 1 end.

i'm not aiming for any design awards with it and with this being a locost site i think we get the idea

i have access to scaffold tubes, steel, 2"x6" and/or 2"x8" wood, only thing i can't acquire is what ever i'm going to use on the roofing as i don't want to board and felt it as it'll mate the side of the house too dark.

anyone share any advice or experiences or should i just stick to being a grease monkey and save up for someone to build it for me?

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

ReMan

posted on 14/12/09 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Did'nt build it, but we have one that would be asy enough.
One of the most useful featurs of our house with kids, dogs, kit cars, bikes, washing, dirty boots etc.
You're welome to see it for inspiration

rayward

posted on 14/12/09 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
i built one at my last house, used pressure treated timber, and clear panels like those in conservatory roofs,

you might not do it cheaper than a bought one, but you can definately do it better for the same money

hth
Ray

john_p_b

posted on 14/12/09 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rayward
i built one at my last house, used pressure treated timber, and clear panels like those in conservatory roofs,

you might not do it cheaper than a bought one, but you can definately do it better for the same money

hth
Ray

place i work for is part of a building firm and you'd be amazed at the waste from the place thus i can get hold of pretty much all of the above materials for nothing over a matter of a few weeks so the only thing i should have to pay for is the roofing.

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

ReMan

posted on 14/12/09 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Just found an old pic.
polers, angloe iron, bit of wood plus corrugated plastic sheets Rescued attachment 131_3117s.JPG
Rescued attachment 131_3117s.JPG

coozer

posted on 14/12/09 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Next door to me had one made out of scaffold poles and corrugated plastic.. looked canny

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Blackcab

posted on 14/12/09 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
poly carb corrugated panels are fairly cheap just make sure you fasten them well, you dont want them blowing off in the world
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 14/12/09 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
my 5m x 5m deck is fully covered.....make bbqs very predictable.
its poly carb corrugated with pressure treated joists.

my next take is to use the fabric roofing system. Just designing it for our local wind loadings is going to be fun

http://www.fordingbridge.co.uk/

[Edited on 15-12-09 by mangogrooveworkshop]

smart51

posted on 15/12/09 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
my neighbours is made of 1" square steel tube uprights and angle iron across the roof with corrugated sheet walls and roof. It is still standing 30 years on. Be careful to have enough fall on the roof or the water will leak through the overlap of the sheets.

dogwood

posted on 15/12/09 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Here's mine.

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

Davey D

posted on 15/12/09 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I just completed mine over the weekend. it has taken me a few months of weekends to get it made.

i designed it in solidworks to start with to make sure it would look right before i got hold of any of the materials.

it is made from 2" x 7" rough sawn timber for the roof sections, and 4" x 4" rough sawn timber for the posts.

it is approx 10m long x 3m wide it runs along the side of my house on one side, and spans across to my fence on the other side.

I have made it to look like a pergola, but i have sheeted the roof so it is a carport. It has been a long slog, but im very happy with the end result I'll try to get some pictures if its light when i get home.

i even have the solidworks design here with me that i could upload if you was interested, and you can view it with the free solidworks viewer

Vindi_andy

posted on 15/12/09 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Built mine

As said above spans from wall to fence but not quite wide enough for car but bloody useful storage

Pressure treated timber 4" x 2" along the ends 8" x 2" wall boards guttering fitted to lower edge going to water butts and 2" x 2" spanning it all then covered with corrugated polycarb using proper screw for the job.

Took 3 sundays to complete very happy with it and still standing after 3 years

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.