Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: for the new year can we please all....
graememk

posted on 2/1/10 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
for the new year can we please all....

go and check your smoke alarm.

if you havent got one go buy one.

make sure its fitted, make sure it works...

if you dont have one may i recomend this off the bay ntdwm ebay link

[Edited on 2/1/10 by graememk]

JoelP

posted on 2/1/10 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
ours gets tested most tea times

but a good call

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

balidey

posted on 2/1/10 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
And also add a carbon monoxide alarm to your shopping lists too.
coozer

posted on 2/1/10 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, is there something behind your request?

We have internal 240v smoke alarms that commute with each other and when wor lass burns the meat in the oven don't give up until all the doors and windows are open

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

graememk

posted on 3/1/10 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
well you know yours work...

quote:
Originally posted by coozer

We have internal 240v smoke alarms that commute with each other and when wor lass burns the meat in the oven don't give up until all the doors and windows are open

Peteff

posted on 3/1/10 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

but a good call

I've tried telling her it's not a timer but she says when she hears the beep she knows it's done I told her the recipe says when it's brown it's cooked, when it's black it's f^*ked

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/1/10 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
set mines off a couple of hours ago just soldering my planes undercarage damn its sensitive

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dave1888

posted on 3/1/10 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
Consider a heat detector for the kitchen this should save it going off when the toast gets burnt.

phelpsa

posted on 3/1/10 at 01:59 AM Reply With Quote
Now thats an excuse for a fry up if i've ever heard one....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 3/1/10 at 03:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
Now thats an excuse for a fry up if i've ever heard one....

Had one a few days ago, the kids were still in bed. I thought about setting it off and leaving it, see how long it takes before they wake up, realise it's not cos I'm burning sausages and get their backsides downstairs

Now that's how a smoke alarm should be tested!

posted on 3/1/10 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
I have one that talks, or rather screams in a high pitched synthetic voice.

"FI_YA...FI_YA...FI_YA" (fire, fire, fire)

I think it would wake me quicker than a mere "beep, beep, beep".

Paul G

MikeR

posted on 3/1/10 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
I'm a fire warden at work, i've therefore been on the course and now have extingishers, fire blankets, torches and escape plans.

Parents were round 3 months ago and set off the alarm making breakfast. After a few moments i woke up, heard this noise and wandered slowly downstairs wondering what it was.

Its only when i got to the kitchen and saw two guilty OAP's with burnt toast i realised what was going on.

Having the alarms is great - make sure you know what they are and how to react. Set them off now and make sure your family reacts & keep doing it till its instinct. When you need it for real you could be half asleep.

Danozeman

posted on 3/1/10 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Iv got them ones that go in a light fitting dont have to wire them in and no batteries to worry about.
Very good and joking aside the wife makes it go off quite frequently.

The only down side is to test them you turn the light on and off twice to test it so its a bugger if you forget something in the room and turn the light on again.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

JoelP

posted on 3/1/10 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
The only down side is to test them you turn the light on and off twice to test it so its a bugger if you forget something in the room and turn the light on again.

yeah, that why i got rid of mine, very annoying if it goes off late at night.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

lsdweb

posted on 3/1/10 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Good call Graeme.

Plenty of advice here

Don't be afraid to contact your local fire and rescue service for a home fire safety check (free!).

Wyn

Dangle_kt

posted on 3/1/10 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
just purchased as last night our "10 year" alarm installed by the fire brigade the other year started warning of low battery. It beeps every 2 mins, and its right outside our bedroom.

Hopefully these will last a little more than the 18 months of the last "10 year" alarms

gottabedone

posted on 3/1/10 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Fire alarms are great guys but also please remember that a lot of fire prevention is down to way of life

Be safe

Steve

Jasagracer

posted on 3/1/10 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Fire Larms

Guys, I get the sad puppy of the year award as I deal with this as part of the day job. I am a building inspector, for my sins (well, it just pays the rent)(you know, the bloke who tells you to dig your house foundations deeper !). I deal with mostly commmercial systems, testing and commissioning as well as residential systems.

Having attended many shouts with the Fire Brigade, as I am on dangerous structure call-out, I can testify that they do save lives. Heat detectors in kitchens are critical. For those with teenagers etc who have love affairs with their beds, a combined smoke detector/sounder in the bedrooms is also well worthwhile.

As has already been said, common sense and lifestyle will prevent most problems. If no one believes what damage unattended cigarettes can do, the Brigade used to have a short dvd/video available which shows how little time it takes for your lounge to go up. If that doesn't convince you, nothing will.
HAppy New year everyone

Life's not worth living without a fast car and an even faster woman !!!

lsdweb

posted on 3/1/10 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Dangle_kt

Phone your fire and rescue service - I bet they're having a few of these 10 year detectors with 'problems'. Don't ask me how I know!

Wyn

SteveWalker

posted on 3/1/10 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

What? They car share? Where do they go? What backup protection do you have while they're out at work?

Fozzie

posted on 3/1/10 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
A very timely reminder Graeme....

I have a carbon-monoxide one in the kitchen for the gas cooker and central heating boiler.

A fire alarm in downstairs hall and one on the landing......All checked very recently, as we did for the elderly parents....

As the Fozzmobile lives indoors*, I have managed to set off the CO2 alarm, when running it up....

I had new double glazing fitted about 18 months ago, and opted for a 'fire' window in one upper room at the back, and a 'fire' window at upper front.....
These windows are able to open fully, that is, with a quick flick of a lever, both panes open fully outward, to allow maximum room for getting out (entire window opening)......

*= integral garage.....

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

woodster

posted on 5/1/10 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

but a good call

same here when ours goes off the kids shout teas ready

Guinness

posted on 2/10/10 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
We've just had a visit from the local Fire Brigade. My wife is going increasingly deaf so they came round and fitted a new smoke alarm system.

Basically we now have three new smoke alarms that link using some wireless tech, to a little box of electronics on the bedside table. If any alarm goes off, it sets the bedside unit off. That strobes, sounds a siren!

Best bit is, they are on 10 year life batteries!

All safe here, thanks to the local brigade. (Just waiting on the t-loop and the phone / door bell unit!)

Mike

marcjagman

posted on 25/11/10 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
As the missus is disabled ours are wired into the mains as well as back up batteries and also wired direct to the link monitering service who check them every month remotely. Thanks for the reminder though.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.