Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Solar collectors / panels
jacko

posted on 22/2/10 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Solar collectors / panels

Hi all anyone using them to heat water ?
We are having a new roof fitted this year. After that solar panels but i would like to know how good they are with living in this county, are they worth fitting for the cost?
Also does it matter which direction they face ? my roof faces one side east the other side west
Jacko

[Edited on 22/2/10 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 22/2/10 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
if you want to heat water you need solar collectors which are different to photo voltaic (electric solar panels)

They will work in this country, I am building locost ones facing south.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

iank

posted on 22/2/10 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Also does it matter which direction they face ? my roof faces one side east the other side west
Jacko

I'd be putting them on the west side as then you'll have the warm water in the evening rather than lunchtime. South would obviously be better, but you knew that already

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

jacko

posted on 22/2/10 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thats what i meant
Thanks

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 22/2/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
if you want to heat water you need solar collectors which are different to photo voltaic (electric solar panels)

They will work in this country, I am building locost ones facing south.

If you are making locost ones have you any planes photos to look at please

twybrow

posted on 22/2/10 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Locost version is a load of radiators, painted black, and stuck on your roof with (or even without) a pump. They made a 'locost' version on "It's not easy being green" shown on BBC2 a while back. They soldered together a lattice of copper pipe/fittings, and painted it black. They then put that in a white box with a perspex front. It seemed to do the job!
smart51

posted on 22/2/10 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
They certainly work but not every day of the year. As an assistant to a conventional system, they'll reduce the energy you use. Installation when having a roof fitted is the best time. I had a couple of quotes a few years ago for a retrofit and they were having a laugh with the price. A DIY install will pay for itself, even if you buy good kit.

As for angle, they have to point at the sun. They pretty much have to be south facing and at a good angle of inclination. East or West and you're only going to get a small fraction of the energy.

NigeEss

posted on 22/2/10 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Modern tubes are like "thermos" flasks with the black heating tube inside a vacuum.
Heating is by radiation and the outside temp is largely irrelevant. Thus they work in the winter.

spewing

posted on 22/2/10 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Theres a program available that is used by a lot of the companies selling panels that you select your location, Panell make and orientation and other variables and based on weather statistics tells you what sort of performance you will get (sorry i dont have a copy)

Best case senario for the UK despite what some people will try and tell you is saving 55 to 60% of the energy used to heat hot water (not central heating) unless you can afford to plaster your roof in panells, feed them into an acumulator and the run a low temperature heating system such as underfloor heating but that will cost big money to retro fit.

If your re roofing and you decide to go with them its worth looking at built in panels as they look a lot better.

Kev

SeaBass

posted on 23/2/10 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
We have four panels on the south facing roof of our house. They were installed by the previous owners of the property who paid a fair bit for them.

From about the end of March until about September we do not use any other energy than running the circulation pump to create hot water. A controller determines when the pump should run etc. The panels will fill a tank full of water at about 70 degrees. Hotter than provided by the central heating.

I had no idea what they'd be like but they have saved us a lot of money. We've recently had the system serviced, cleaned and refilled by the installer which was surprisingly cheap and has restored efficiency.

Cheers

JeffHs

posted on 23/2/10 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Look at CAT the Centre for Alternative Technology site. They have loads of plans and info some cheap and downloadable.
coozer

posted on 23/2/10 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
They will work down there marra, they work here in Co. Durham, theres a house a few miles from me got them on the front and side (south and west ish) with a sign up telling everyone what they are and the benefits.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

craig1410

posted on 23/2/10 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
I would expect that the type surrounded by vacuum would be essential otherwise you would need to pump warm water around them in the evening to avoid them freezing up and bursting!

smart51

posted on 23/2/10 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
I would expect that the type surrounded by vacuum would be essential otherwise you would need to pump warm water around them in the evening to avoid them freezing up and bursting!

Not really. You don't pump pure water through them, but a mixture of water and antifreeze, just like your car. The mixture circulates through the panels and through a second coil in your hot water tank.

craig1410

posted on 23/2/10 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410

Not really. You don't pump pure water through them, but a mixture of water and antifreeze, just like your car. The mixture circulates through the panels and through a second coil in your hot water tank.

Fair enough but surely you would also want to benefit from the radiated heat without losing out to conducted heat. It could easily be below freezing air temp but still with considerable radiated heat. That's why it often feels "nice in the sun" but cold in the shade.

smart51

posted on 24/2/10 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure what you're saying but yes, you do want to get something on a sunny but cold day.

Evacuated tube collectors are better at this but flat plate collectors can do something.

Your flat plate should be a matt black colour to best absorb the incoming light. It will be fitted in an airtight box that is insulated underneath and to the sides. It will also have a transparent cover over the top.

Incoming sun light hits the black surface, heating it up. Some of the heat will be lost to the air next to the panel but the glazing will stop that warm air escaping. The glass will conduct some of that heat away but you've contained a lot of it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.