Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: When Building Custom Chassis: What Part Sizes Do You Need?
Louis M

posted on 9/5/04 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
When Building Custom Chassis: What Part Sizes Do You Need?

If I decide to build a custom chassis for a different donor car, what parts would I need to measure in order to correctly asses the size of my chassis. I already have some good ideas, but what else?
Engine
Transmission
Steering Rack
Driveshaft
Size of Driver/Passenger
Rear End
Radiator

What else?

leto

posted on 10/5/04 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Wheels, uprights, coilovers, seats, battery, pedal box, master brake cylinder, handbrake?
Louis M

posted on 11/5/04 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think wheels would affect my measurements at all... also, what are uprights? (I'm an American ) Also, coilovers would only effect ride height, so that shouldn't effect it. I forgot about adding the seats and pedal box, thanks. The battery and Mastery Brake Cylinder will be up against the firewall so I shouldn't need to worry about the sizes of that. Also, the handbrake is connected to the tranny, so I shouldn't need measurements of that. Anyone else?
200mph

posted on 11/5/04 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Louis M
I don't think wheels would affect my measurements at all... also, what are uprights? (I'm an American ) Also, coilovers would only effect ride height, so that shouldn't effect it.

I'd disagree, as depending on your engine height, it is farily important to work out how much room you will have to play with underneath, rather than cringing every time you drive over a grain of sand and worrying about your sump.
Also, handling will suffer as a result if ride height is very high, and vice versa.

It could work out you will need 20 inch wheels with 17 inch shocks to get the thing moving.

what am I saying, 20" wheels is small for an american?

all I'm saying is i would bear them in mind, as you dont want to leave yourself having to buy anything too extreme, as the funny sizes normally cost a whole lot more too.

cheers
Mark

[Edited on 11/5/04 by 9904169]

Digger Barnes

posted on 11/5/04 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Also, coilovers would only effect ride height, so that shouldn't effect it.

actualy coilover length does not affect the ride height by itself it is their mounting position (dictated by the suspension geometry) along with length and and spring rate that affects ride height.

quote:
Originally posted by 9904169
all I'm saying is i would bear them in mind, as you dont want to leave yourself having to buy anything too extreme, as the funny sizes normally cost a whole lot more too.
Not to mention extra time and head scratching

[Edited on 11/5/04 by Digger Barnes]

Louis M

posted on 11/5/04 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 9904169
quote:
I don't think wheels would affect my measurements at all... also, what are uprights? (I'm an American ) Also, coilovers would only effect ride height, so that shouldn't effect it.

I'd disagree, as depending on your engine height, it is farily important to work out how much room you will have to play with underneath, rather than cringing every time you drive over a grain of sand and worrying about your sump.
Also, handling will suffer as a result if ride height is very high, and vice versa.

It could work out you will need 20 inch wheels with 17 inch shocks to get the thing moving.

what am I saying, 20" wheels is small for an american?

cheers
Mark

[Edited on 11/5/04 by 9904169]

Besides lengthening the coilovers, is there even a way to increase the ride height?

Digger Barnes

posted on 11/5/04 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Being slightly facetious shorten the wishbones, either narrower track or wider body. Or wind up the pre-load and sacrifice ride quality and droop handling. Or move the top coilover mounting point (easier said than done), the list goes on

You could also move the coilover wishbone mounting point towards the car, but that is not a good idea (see thread on wishbones bending and you will notice that this can put some bending moments onto the wishbone in a less than adequate place not wishing to teach granny to suck eggs).

Sorry shitty day

Louis M

posted on 11/5/04 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
however, that wouldn't affect the sizing of the chassis... correct? that's all i'm working on right now... hammering out the chassis and building it on cad
pbura

posted on 11/5/04 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Upright = what we call (inaccurately) a spindle.

In Brit-speak, there is a spindle also, which is the jobby-do that the wheel hub rotates on. As we call that a spindle also, US Locosters have generally adopted "upright", here and on the Yahoo NA list, too.

the only parts you really need to measure are wheel parts (for working out suspension geometry), engine, tranny, and differential/rear axle. Pretty much everything else can be added on a design-as-you-go basis.

I recommend reading through back posts in 'Chassis' and 'Running Gear' sections to get a handle on the key design issues.

Pete

Pete

Digger Barnes

posted on 11/5/04 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Good call Pete.

It can all be a very contentious issue this design stuff. But be aware if you are deviating from the book design there is a large amount of information that you will need to digest and understand before cadding up the ‘final’ design. That is if ride quality or performance or even just predictable handling is important to you.

But if it is going to be very similar to the book dimensions then don't worry it will all work out (so I am told).

BTW it will affect the chassis design (by how much depends on how different your donor bits are).

leto

posted on 11/5/04 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I don't think wheels would affect my measurements at all...

They will effect the way the finished car looks and handles but if thats not an issue, fine.
quote:
Also, coilovers would only effect ride height, so that shouldn't effect it.
There isn't much room around the upper A-arm. It's nice to know that things will fit and can move freely before you spend hours and hours fabricating them.
quote:
I forgot about adding the seats and pedal box, thanks. The battery and Mastery Brake Cylinder will be up against the firewall so I shouldn't need to worry about the sizes of that.

The battery is quite heavy so handling will improve if you can to get it down on the (more crowded) floor level
quote:
Also, the handbrake is connected to the tranny, so I shouldn't need measurements of that.
OK, that was maybe a little overkill
quote:
Anyone else?

I forgot rear wings and nose cone, if you are going to buy them.

Cheers

[Edited on 11/5/04 by leto]

[Edited on 11/5/04 by leto]

Digger Barnes

posted on 11/5/04 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Yep all that too
crbrlfrost

posted on 14/5/04 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Just a thought, but if you have no idea how wheel sizes, suspension geometry, weight placement or packaging effect the overall package of a vehicle (probably not going to be moving at neglibable speeds), then perhaps it would be best to a) do a lot more homework on vehicle design prior to even touching autoCAD, or b)sticking with a book (or close approximation thereof) for the first time around and then deciding what needs changing. Afterall, it has been pointed out a few times that once everything else has been done, fabricating a new chassis is a relatively easy assignment. I've done mine in under two weeks working on it part time. But, best of luck to you, Cheers!
leto

posted on 14/5/04 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
however, that wouldn't affect the sizing of the chassis... correct? that's all i'm working on right now... hammering out the chassis and building it on cad

Well, no.

If you try to design a car one piece at the time you may very well end up as Johnny Cash did in the song with that name, or worse (“One piece at the time” I recommend it, it's rather funny. Hmmm... Yes, it is country BUT the lyrics is about building your own car).

The book-frame is designed to fit the Cortina upright, from what I understand they are not easy to find in the US. The geometry of the Cortina upright is “somewhat odd” and it will, most probably (and hopefully), be hard to find something that reassembles it. So you will have to design your own suspensions. The book design is fair, but it's not to hard to come up with something that is better.

The suspension brackets have, obviously, to connect to the frame, so the suspension must to be designed before the frame. (and the wheels will effect the suspension design, but I guess you have figured that out by now ).

Good luck, and happy building.

“I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round”. (J. Cash)

[Edited on 14/5/04 by leto]

crbrlfrost

posted on 14/5/04 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, I did forget to mention I spend about three months designing the new geometry and FEA'ing the chassis prior to cutting the first steel. So I guess that means the chassis took 3.5 months. Well, have to draw the line somewhere, as I'm sure I spent a few months thinking about it before I put it on computer. Cheers!
Louis M

posted on 22/5/04 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
alright, so start w/ the suspension, then build your chassis around it... k thanks.
leto

posted on 23/5/04 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry if I sounded a bit rough.
There is a lot of information on suspension design on Internet. The degree of simplification vary and can be confusing, some information might even be wrong. The “absolute suspension design” is the one that make YOUR car respond the way YOU like it to.
Don't forget to check that you can buy or modify parts to fit your design, steering racks are a typical source of problems. Also keep an eye on what the final result might look like, you don't want to end up here http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=13803

Cheers!

Louis M

posted on 23/5/04 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
i was checking the book again, and since i'm going to have a live rear axle (not irs), then i will not have to deviate from the book much on this. as a result, i will almost copy the book on making my panhard bars and all i will need is to how high my suspension brackets are and how short my coilovers are...
Louis M

posted on 23/5/04 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
in the same way, as per the book, the entire front suspension is fabricated and all that you need is to make sure the suspension lines up...
Louis M

posted on 25/5/04 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
looking at the front suspension more, it seems like the only part that I would have to adjust for is the steering rack and coilovers...
leto

posted on 25/5/04 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Have you checked virtual swingarms and camber gain?

Louis M

posted on 25/5/04 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
1) I don't know what virtual swingarms are
2) The camber will be based on the size differences between the swingarms, so I will not need to worry about that until after I build the chassis and begin on the suspension

jcduroc

posted on 25/5/04 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
2) The camber will be based on the size differences between the swingarms, so I will not need to worry about that until after I build the chassis and begin on the suspension

And camber, do you know what it is? And how to change it?

Cheers,
João

JCM

Louis M

posted on 26/5/04 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
oops, i didnt' mean swing arms, but those pipes which connect the chassis to the wheel (i'm blanking out right now on the name)... anyway, i will put my steering rack with calipers on, then make my arms in order to make the camber 0 or slightly neg.
leto

posted on 26/5/04 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
1) I don't know what virtual swingarms are

Ok, that was just a small test to see if you done your homework like crbrlfrost suggested, obviously you have not. Here is a place or two to start.

http://www.rqriley.com/suspensn.html
http://www.gmecca.com/byorc/index.html
(last link provided by miller, thanks!)

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.