Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CBR1000 - No Spark
VinceGledhill

posted on 21/4/10 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
CBR1000 - No Spark

Wired it all up as per the wiring diagram in the bike manual and I'm not getting a spark at all.

Are there any common problems? What's it likely to be?

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

Guinness

posted on 21/4/10 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
What have you done with the sidestand / clutch / neutral switches?

VinceGledhill

posted on 21/4/10 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
I've not done anything with them.

Thanks for the tip. Sounds like all that lot should be connected. I'll have to look to see what they all do and give them what they need.

Do any of them switch to earth? Or do they all have feeds to them?

Surely taking it out of neutral shouldn't stop the car, if that was the case you could never drive anywhere.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

Guinness

posted on 21/4/10 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
On the ZZR the three switches act as a safety interlock, preventing you starting it unless you have it in neutral, or have the clutch in. I think it is also set up to stop the sparks if the side stand is down when you let out the clutch with it in gear.

Something about NOT / AND switches.

HTH.

Mike

VinceGledhill

posted on 21/4/10 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mike, I'll look at it. Trouble is, the wiring diagram I have is in the back of the hanes manual and although good and in colour there's a few models and not all the wiring diagrams are the same.

I don't know exactly which bike my engine is out of. Bought it second hand off a guy on here ages ago.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

jimgiblett

posted on 21/4/10 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Is it just no sparks. The interlocks normally stop the starter rather than the sparks.

What year is the engine. If it is a recent one (ie fuel injected) it will need the Honda HISS components.

- Jim

VinceGledhill

posted on 21/4/10 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply Jim.

No it's the older one with carbs.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

jambojeef

posted on 21/4/10 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
On the CBR1000 the safety checks just stop the spark - you can turn the engine over as usual.

If you always want it to start (rather than when only in neutral) find the clutch switch and bridge its terminals.

That way when you stall pulling out into a stream of traffic you can restart without trying to find neutral with the engine off....you can guess how I know that....

VinceGledhill

posted on 21/4/10 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've wired it all up without that lot fitted. Must have missed one of those interlocks.

I'll let you know how I get on tonight.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

JF

posted on 21/4/10 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
As said above the sidestand/neutral/clutch switch usually kill the starter, not the sparks.

But the emergency cutoff switch cuts the sparks. And on most bikes lets the starter go round. On motor meets there often is a 'funny guy' who thinks it funny to let a few people start there batteries flat. As these switches are fitted to the handlebar.

Simple matter of soldering in and output together as it's a classic failsafe system.

Anyway good luck.

craig24

posted on 21/4/10 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Have you used the bike ign key/switch on my zzr 1200 the ign switch drops the ecu feed voltage to 9.9 volts have a resistor fitted now but it wouldnt spark with it wired with std 12 volt feed
craig

VinceGledhill

posted on 27/4/10 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. Looks like it was one of the interlocks as indicated. There was a spare spade terminal with no wire to it.

I took best guess and put an earth to it, I now get a spark.

Please tell me, does it fire a spark on cylinder 1 and 4 at the same time? But only one is on the power stroke? That's what it looks like to me anyway.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

Guinness

posted on 27/4/10 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VinceGledhill
Thanks guys. Looks like it was one of the interlocks as indicated. There was a spare spade terminal with no wire to it.

I took best guess and put an earth to it, I now get a spark.

Please tell me, does it fire a spark on cylinder 1 and 4 at the same time? But only one is on the power stroke? That's what it looks like to me anyway.

Pleased it sparks. Yes it is a wasted spark system. Pair of coils will do 1-4 and 2-3 or something like that!

tony-devon

posted on 28/4/10 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
yup as correctly stated already, it will run 2 coils, 1-4 and 2-3

as you said it runs on wasted spark, the ignition barrels on a lot of the kawasakis do indeed have an extra wire, most commonly its grey, it doesnt always appear on the wiring diagrams for some reason in my experience, but the genuine barrels have a resistor that drops the voltage, without this the CDI wont work.

you can just rewire the engine very minimally and its what I do with mine, generally for all custom bike applications I wire lighting circuits, charging, ignition, and starting on their own fuses and sub wiring loom, easier to fault find, and also far less hassle.

if you look through the wiring diagrams you can very easily start to see whats needed and what isnt, its normally very easy to reduce it to just the cdi connected to coils, power and the pickups on the engine, generator to rectifier, with power connections and on some models a voltage sensing wire.
then a simple starting circuit for the solenoid and starter motor

the newer fuel injected sports bike engines are more involved but its still simple to break the wiring down

if on doubt print off the wiring diagram you need, then blank or tippex out the gubbins you deffo dont want, then photo copy this.

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.