Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mot due -no headlights!
keith777

posted on 23/5/10 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Mot due -no headlights!

Checking Indy ready for dreaded mot only to find headlights not working,sidelights come on-no head or main beam -flash doesn't work either -can any of you guys shed any light?[sorry couldn't resist] Cheers Keith
Miks15

posted on 23/5/10 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Bad earth on the light? although unlikely if side lights work.
Check the headlight switch? Check all the wires going to the headlight for any breakages using the multimeter.

Might sound simple but blown bulb or fuse?

Got to be one of the above?

DRC INDY 7

posted on 23/5/10 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
take the head lights of for the test it does not need them on if the tester ask when do you drive it you tell him or her daytime only they can not fail it only advise that the headlights were missing at time of the test

[Edited on 5/23/2010 by DRC INDY 7]

t.j.

posted on 23/5/10 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DRC INDY 7
take the head lights of for the test it does not need them on if the tester ask when do you drive it you tell him or her daytime only they can not fail it only advise that the headlights were missing at time of the test

???
I hope that is not the right answer....

I would measure with a Multi-meter if ther e is any voltage at the headlight. First with they minus at ground (engine or batt) .
If so, measure between ground and + at bulb.

If both not, then go towards the light-switch and steering column.

- Did you check the fuse?
- Did you check the bulb (12V?, both death?)
- Is there a relay for the head-lamps?
(Some circuits have)

Grtz

[Edited on 23/5/10 by t.j.]

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

deanwelch

posted on 23/5/10 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
i think you would get a "day light mot" if you did this better to fix if you can
DRC INDY 7

posted on 23/5/10 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by t.j.
quote:
Originally posted by DRC INDY 7

???
I hope that is not the right answer....

I would measure with a Multi-meter if ther e is any voltage at the headlight. First with they minus at ground (engine or batt) .
If so, measure between ground and + at bulb.

If both not, then go towards the light-switch and steering column.

- Did you check the fuse?
- Did you check the bulb (12V?, both death?)
- Is there a relay for the head-lamps?
(Some circuits have)

Grtz

[Edited on 23/5/10 by t.j.]

What is not right about the answer if he does not get them working in time then that is the option............. legal option

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

DRC INDY 7

posted on 23/5/10 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
no such thing as a day light mot if you are a mot tester then read the manual and the advisory options

if not a tester then do not coment on what you do not know

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

flibble

posted on 23/5/10 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
I get daytime MOT's every year for my motocrosser, been to many different MOT stations and all have given them out, no idea if its the same for cars?
franky

posted on 23/5/10 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Same here, use to get them for my track/race bikes so I could ride them to tracks.
matt_claydon

posted on 23/5/10 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
I think this has strayed somewhat off-point, the OP wants to fix his headlamps, not find a legal loophole!

However, DRC is right: there is no such thing as a 'daylight MOT' despite the popular misconception, it's just that if lights aren't fitted, they aren't tested.

My understanding is that no lamps except stop and indicators are allowed to be fitted if you go down this line; prepared to be corrected though.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 23/5/10 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
No main or dip headlights suggests to me that you're not getting any power beyond the headlight relay. Should be easy to check with a multimeter if you're getting power to there. You should have a pretty heavy duty blue wire into the relay, and a blue / red and blue / white coming out (assuming the general standardised wiring loom).

Start at the relay and if no power there, try the input of your headlight switch. My money would be on a broken switch.

keith777

posted on 23/5/10 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replys guys,taking the lights off is an interesting option but I think as a last resort.Fuse is ok cos side lights work ,bulbs appear ok,will have to get hand in pocket and buy multimetre,thanks again for all the quick replys its reassuring to know you have this forum for advice.Cheers Keith
Steve Hignett

posted on 23/5/10 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keith777
taking the lights off is an interesting option but I think as a last resort

I'm pretty sure that's what DRC was suggesting before he was (incorrectly) shot down...

My suggestion isn't the best one either - but you could just put in a new mini loom to get it throught he test...

[img][/img]

Paul TigerB6

posted on 23/5/10 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
You can always do a few simple checks with a length of wire (carefully).

1st step i'd try is take a live feed direct off the battery and with the headlight relay removed, touch the terminals in the holder with the blue / white and then blue / red. If nothing then you know its the lights / no earth. If you get lights then you know its the power feed to the relay.

Check the relay by removing it and bridging across the holder terminals (usually solid blue wire) to the outputs (blue / white for dip, blue / red for main) with the headlight switch set to on. You can then work back through the supply to the relay - bridging across the input / output of the headlight switch etc

mad-butcher

posted on 27/5/10 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
WD40 on the switch gear, mine do strange things if it's been out in the rain and then dried out, don't forget the switch gear was designed for a tin top not an open sportscar

[Edited on 27/5/10 by mad-butcher]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
keith777

posted on 2/6/10 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Back to this old chestnut again! Been looking on ebay at relays for headlights-does anyone know what colour the sierra headlight relay is-thanks in antisipation Keith

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.