Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: All shook up !
Peteff

posted on 19/6/10 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
All shook up !

I went out for a ride on my motorbike and following a car along a nice local road when we came up behind a tractor, he braked and slowed down behind it and I could see nothing was coming so I indicated and went and was alongside him when he decided to do the same. I took his wing mirror clean off and went over onto the grass the other side of the road nearly through the hedge, luckily kept it upright and there was ho ditch. Tank dented and scratched and some bits and the bike shop says about £280 for repairs.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

tegwin

posted on 19/6/10 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear that!

Its fairly standard for the majority of people to not bother checking their mirrors before overtaking!

Most dont even bother indicating their intentions either which annoys me!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

big-vee-twin

posted on 19/6/10 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
What a bummer, car drivers should be made to ride a bike for a day as part of the test!!

One of the biggest killers of Bikers is overtaking a moving car and then the car decides to move out or turn right, especially on Rural roads.

No comfort I know, but we need to have our wits about us - we have to think about our driving and theirs too, cos they don't seem to have the capacity to think about what they are doing.

Glad you are ok - chin up!

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

tomprescott

posted on 19/6/10 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear, glad you are safe!
Trust the driver of the car is picking up the bill!? True that the louder the bike the safer, unless you make peoples ears bleed they often don't think to look where you are.

A bird in the hand....

mads

posted on 19/6/10 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
sorry to hear that but as said, glad to hear you're OK.

Completely agree that car drivers should be made to ride a bike at least before being given their license!

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

Peteff

posted on 19/6/10 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all, I've got to get in touch with him later I have all his details and I've calmed down a lot as I was shaking like the proverbial dog.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

OX

posted on 19/6/10 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
dont let it put you off,,glad your ok
pewe

posted on 19/6/10 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Lucky escape - as the manuals say "put it down to experience and learn from it".
I think there's a tendency to not use the horn and lights when out on a bike especially when overtaking but given most tin top drivers are completely bike oblivious I think there's a strong case for using them as often as possible.
Cheers, Pewe

iank

posted on 19/6/10 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Thanks all, I've got to get in touch with him later I have all his details and I've calmed down a lot as I was shaking like the proverbial dog.

dog? I'd have bet on "leaf".

Glad you are ok and got his number. Hope he does the decent thing - did you get the tractor drivers number just in case?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Werner Van Loock

posted on 19/6/10 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
glad you're ok, i feel the same when driving the striker, whenever i overtake someone or even pass someone on a dual carriageway i just floor it so they at least hear me

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jambojeef

posted on 19/6/10 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
So did the bike go down then Pete or did you manage to keep it upright?

Its amazing that some people just dont look isnt it? I was hit from behind on my VFR my an artic + trailer last year which unsurprisingly said he "didnt see me"!

Glad no real harm done though....

Whats the bike btw? Might be worth caliming on your insurance - my ins company were brilliant in an obvious non fault claim.

Geoff

Jon Ison

posted on 19/6/10 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Pete, your made of Derbyshire stock so you'll be fine, have I to pick you up if I'm off to Newark again tomorrow ?

Daddylonglegs

posted on 19/6/10 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Glad you're OK. Happens all too often, I had a near miss a few weeks ago, coming up to a crossroads-type junction on a 90 deg bend, I had right of way turning off the main road, all other users were waiting. Just as I turned in, a JCB decided he'd waited long enough and turned right across in front of me A damn good job I was going real slow.
Some real a-holes out there.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Peteff

posted on 19/6/10 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'm having a lie in tomorrow thanks Jon, I didn't get the tractor driver as he sailed past when we were stood at the side of the road. I kept it upright and was on the opposite verge, the road was still clear so I went back across. Tank is dented and clutch lever and adjuster and bits but the work doesn't come cheap on bikes. It's a Hornet 900 not done 10,000 miles and was immaculate.

yours, Pete

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.