Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Ripped off??
Crazy Jay

posted on 31/5/04 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Ripped off??

Went to leave in my 4 wishbones and light bar to be chromed a minute ago. £94!! Is that not expensive?? They quoted me 350 for polish and chrome, and i very nicely told them to stick it up their arse! Also they wont be ready for 4 weeks. Ah well
Berwyn

posted on 31/5/04 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Doesnt sound that far out. I had my front w/b nickel plated and that cost me about £70. You are having chrome, so they have to nickel plate them first, and then chrome on top. So it doesnt sound bad especially if your having the headlight bar done as well.

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not

Crazy Jay

posted on 31/5/04 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Berwyn, feel better now
alister667

posted on 31/5/04 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Nichrome in Glengormley did my 4 wishbones for about 50 quid I think. They also had about a 4 week lead time as well.
Out of interest who gave you the quote?
One other point to mention is that the chroming is not a very strong rust protection - you will have to keep the chrome cleaned with a little oil and make sure to wipe it down if it gets wet.
Also road salt is a big no-no!
Any chance of taking a couple of pics and sticking them up? I'd love to see how you're getting on!
All the best
Ali

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 31/5/04 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
IMO - proper chroming is very corrosion resistant, but you pay for what you get. If the metal coater doesn't nickel plate first, the chrome peels off very easily when it's non-porous surface has been broken. Nickel is by nature very malleable and is resistant to chipping so even if the chrome has chipped off, sometimes (if you're lucky) the nickel will be enough to stop rust.
Nickel is used to coat sub-terrainean industrial valves for use in the highly corrosive surroundings.

alister667

posted on 31/5/04 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hellfire yep you're right *however* the custom plating that goes on for an individual part submitted can suffer from electrolysis 'shadowing' whereby it's difficult for the platers to cover all the nooks and crannies of the wishbone with nickel. Predictibly it's then these areas that will suffer corrosion first.
If I wanted to plate 10,000 of them a custom made bath and plates could be made to do away with such problems. It's a crying shame I can't afford to build 2,500 MK Indy's !
That's what I was told when I asked NiChrome about it's anti-corrosion/rust-proofing properties.
All the best
Ali
P.S. To be fair I suspect if you paid big money you could get a *really* good bit of nickel plating done - and that would be the job.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.