Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stripped thread
midge

posted on 18/8/10 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Stripped thread

Hi all,

Sump drain plug tread finally given up. Plug is rattling around and leaking like hell. Its an aluminium sump, looks about M14 size. Any suggestions on best (cheapest!) repair solution.

Cheers
Steve

tegwin

posted on 18/8/10 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Armstrong-Helicoil-M14-x-1.5-Thread-Repair-Eco-Kit_W0QQitemZ360289916543QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=126334007255&rvr_id=1263340072 55&cguid=471d907b12a0a0aad0d102e1ff87a6d8

Or take the sump off and go to your local engine rebuild place, they should be able to helicoil it for about a tenner...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Howlor

posted on 18/8/10 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
If you don't fancy helicoiling it then I just had a boss turned up out of ali and had it welded on to the sump. Cost me £20 and had it moved to the side at the same time to stop the speed bumps catching it.

Steve

adithorp

posted on 18/8/10 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
At a guess... VAG? They're the favorite for doing it. A helicoil repair will sort it; Done loads. If it's completely striped it then you don't need to drill the hole out, just tap it for the insert.
Think VAG is M14 but my helicoil set for them has gone missing so can't confirm.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.