Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zx9 carbs Balancing
kylerichmond

posted on 10/9/10 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
zx9 carbs Balancing

Hi
Does anyone know where the vacuum takeoffs are to balance the carbs as i cannot find them nowhere?, i have also heard that some dont have them, how would i balance them if this was the case?

mistergrumpy

posted on 10/9/10 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
They are on the block below the rubber sleeves that hold the carbs on. On my C1 engine I think it ws the outer 2 that had nipples on and where linked by some pipe and the middle 2 just have a 10mm headed bolt blocking the hole.
kylerichmond

posted on 10/9/10 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
The problem is that now they are on a zetec manifold so i dont have them, if i disconected the map vacuum tubes on the manifold and connected the carb balancer running the engine without the meagajolt on the edis, would this work?
will121

posted on 10/9/10 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
or use one like these

carb ballancer

ebay

austin man

posted on 10/9/10 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I used the webber type carb balancer on mine they are ZX9R carbs.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Dingz

posted on 10/9/10 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Something like this may help?
Assuming the timing is already correctly set start off by setting the idle screws all the same 2 ½ -3 turns out, then balance the carbs when it is running either with a flow meter or listening to the sound of the suck with a bit of rubber hose. One of the carbs is the master, probably the one with the cable connected so get the next carb in the line sucking the same amount by adjusting the throttle linkage screws, then the next and so on. You will have to adjust the idle speed as you do this as the revs will be going up and down. This will give you a good starting point, if there is a lot of spitting back through the carbs at idle and slight throttle opening or overrun then the idle mixture needs richening. If the exhaust is sooty after normal driving then perhaps the needles could be lowered to lean the mixture if it is sooty after a real thrashing then the mains are probably too big. Conversely if the exhaust is very pale and it struggles under load then the needles need raising and possibly bigger mains, but without a rolling road session it will be just trial and error, do runs then check plug colours to get an idea of what is going on.

[Edited on 10/9/10 by Dingz]

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.