Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: new guitar
smart51

posted on 20/10/10 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
new guitar

The guitar I got for Christmas aged 11 has given me nearly 30 years service but it has had it really, so to end all the "what do you want for Christmas" questions I'm asking for money in the new guitar fund. The problem with guitar shops is that you're confronted with a wall full of guitars and I have no idea which to choose. I'm looking for a steel strung acoustic with a fairly small body (I'm only little) that is not the cheapest in the shop but not too expensive. What do you recommend?

interestedparty

posted on 20/10/10 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Yamaha have a good reputation in the various price ranges. Resale value is important because you never know when you might wat to upgrade, so a recognised name is important.

Quality wise they are mostly made in various parts of the far east, to standards which are usually reflected in the selling prices.

If the body is small the bass won't be so good, but if you get an electro-acoustic and connect it to your hifi or an amp with a decent sized speaker you can get a good sound.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

pekwah1

posted on 20/10/10 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
i would highly recommend a roundback guitar.
They usually have a more treble tone to them and being a roundback means it fits a bit better under your arm and isn't as bulky as a normal dreadnought style...
The back is made from some kind of b-plastic, not sure what..

Have a search for aria amb-40 which is what i've got and you'll get the idea, they don't make that any more though you can still get it.....

ultimately, just go to a guitar shop and try some out!

big-vee-twin

posted on 20/10/10 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
I have a very nice Ibanez electric acoustic which sounds fantasic, has a small body too, been very happy with it.

Has a nice tone and when plugged in sounds like an electric guitar should do

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Surrey Dave

posted on 20/10/10 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Round Back?

I should try a few round back guitar's they can drive you mad ,if you play sitting down as they want to spin flat on your lap, you can't always keep them where they should be.

Yamaha have a good rep, and I'm always impressed with Tanglewood which used to be real budget guitars , but seem to make some nice stuff now,cheap Takamine is good.

Some of the 'parlour' guitars look neat as well very small body, Sting uses one of these sometimes.

[Edited on 20/10/10 by Surrey Dave]

Agriv8

posted on 20/10/10 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
bought a tanglewood for the Mrs a couple of years back and she has been very happy with it. cost about £120 with case at local indipendant whoe recomended it four our budget.

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

tomprescott

posted on 20/10/10 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
I'll be selling my ovation cdx44, really nice guitar - just that I'm skint, need the money and already have too many guitars!

A bird in the hand....

Andi

posted on 20/10/10 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
I have a very nice Ibanez electric acoustic which sounds fantasic, has a small body too, been very happy with it.

Has a nice tone and when plugged in sounds like an electric guitar should do

2nd for Ibanez, leccy or acoustic

[Edited on 20/10/10 by Andi]

Project7

posted on 20/10/10 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Can't really go wrong with Yamaha.

Id reccomment either the APX700 or CPX500

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/yamaha/cutaway_6-string /~electro~acoustic_guitars

Editted to say: you may prefer the APX700 as it has a smaller body.

[Edited on 20/10/10 by Project7]

Wadders

posted on 20/10/10 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look at Simon & Patrick, not mega to look at, but lovely tone, bought one S/H off ebay recently, and am well impressed.

Al

RK

posted on 20/10/10 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Play a few cheapies at the shop. you might be surprised to find some are actually quite good. You won't know til you try them out. Electro-acoustic can be smaller than an acoustic, so it's easier to hold and play.
interestedparty

posted on 20/10/10 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
Have a look at Simon & Patrick, not mega to look at, but lovely tone, bought one S/H off ebay recently, and am well impressed.

Agree and agree. he S&P stuff is good. And buying second hand acoustics makes more sense than buying new ones- reason is acoutics quite often distort with the string tension, the face bends in the region of the bridge and the bridge ends up higher than it should be, which raises the action. The time it is most likely to do that is in the first year or so.

If you look at a guitar that is a few years old, and it's still playing properly, then it's a better bet than a brand new one.

scottfraser

posted on 20/10/10 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Here's one that you've got to check out

Gordon Giltrap Guitar

zilspeed

posted on 20/10/10 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Get yourself into your local shop, speak to the guys and try a few within budget. The one you like best is the correct choice.

If you're at all handy as a player, a good shop owner will appreciate this and point you in the direction of something good quality within your price range.

I would try a Takamine, Peerless, Freshman or Yamaha in no particular order.

My mate has a Peerless which just sings. Cost around 700 quid.

Another mate has an ancient Jim Deacon which cost 80 quid around 15 years back. It's just about as equally wonderfull.

Go try some out and buy the one you like best.
Must go, now in the mood for some James taylor type pluckin'.

Wadders

posted on 20/10/10 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Found one for you!

GIBSON J45 Cliff Richard owned used signed 1960s on eBay (end time 01-Nov-10 13:59:10 GMT)

Joking aside, my pal owns a 60's J45, and it's the best acoustic iv'e ever murdered!!!, almost plays it's self.

Al

Angel Acevedo

posted on 20/10/10 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Variax

Have you read about the Variax?
There are two versions, one electric and one electroacoustic.
I fancy the idea, but I´m a complete null when it comes to playing.....

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
interestedparty

posted on 20/10/10 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
Found one for you!

GIBSON J45 Cliff Richard owned used signed 1960s on eBay (end time 01-Nov-10 13:59:10 GMT)

Joking aside, my pal owns a 60's J45, and it's the best acoustic iv'e ever murdered!!!, almost plays it's self.

Al

Wonder why Cliff sold it, he certainly doesn't need the money. I would feel a bit uneasy about that guitar seeing as the provenance is seems to be a big part of the value the seller is putting on it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.