Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fabric engine bay cover
smart51

posted on 4/1/11 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
fabric engine bay cover

Here's a mad idea. What do you think. My 3 wheeler build is going to be ultra light; 220kg hopefully. To achieve this, much of the "bodywork" will be stretchy fabric fastened over the tubing. The fabric to keep a little of the wind and weather out and to keep fingers away from the car's inards. I want to cover the top of the engine (which is still mostly accessible from the sides) and I've just had the idea of covering the frame above the engine with the same fabric.

I'm I having a mad moment? Will Mr. MSVA object? Should I make a GRP cover instead?

balidey

posted on 4/1/11 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
In the past I have used a form of fibreglass matting that was a very light woven fabric. It was just like you are suggesting using, but if you paint it with resin, voila, instant GRP cover that is nearly as light as your fabric cover, but if Mr MSVA (never heard of him, is he on here? ) queries it, its just a GRP cover.

[Edited on 4/1/11 by balidey]

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

matt_gsxr

posted on 4/1/11 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting idea.

What are the characteristics of the material? Can it handle a bit of heat?

You could consider some kind of woven stainless steel, which would be fine with heat.

Matt

big-vee-twin

posted on 4/1/11 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
They used to make WW2 Wellington bombers like that

I dare say the material your after will be used still in the aircraft industry. A friend of mine has just built an RC plane using similar - wooden frame, stretch material over, paint with a resin and it goes hard then sands/fills until smooth and paints.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

JeffHs

posted on 4/1/11 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Not a daft idea at all. I've been considering fabric covering too. We re-covered the whole of the Auster using Ceconite (Dacron). It's glued on then shrunk with a hot iron, then doped or painted. Very very tough, light and not hugely expensive and meets CAA requirements for flight.
Only snag for bonnet cover is heat. Ceconite is shrunk at 240 F and starts to fall apart at 375F. I don't think my ali bonnet gets that hot though.

Stott

posted on 4/1/11 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
IVA inspector down here won't accept any form of material bodywork or the like. According to him it's temporary so doesn't count as a barrier for the sphere entry into chassis spaces, so you could use it but you will have to remove it for the test and have everything behind them scrutinised for radius size.

HTH
Stott

loggyboy

posted on 4/1/11 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote

sergebelg

posted on 4/1/11 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Try a Google search on "Velorex"
It's a three-wheeler from the East-block : it will give you some ideas

smart51

posted on 4/1/11 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
That’s an interesting point about fabric being considered to be temporary. MSVA is less strict than IVA but that rule may be the same.

I wasn’t planning to dope, fill and paint. I just want a fabric cover that pulls taught.

BMW’s gina concept used a very special compound to make the covering. I was thinking of rip stop hot air balloon material. I’d have to check it for heat resistance but as the scooter engine is as open as on a scooter, there’ll be a whole lot of ventilation and won’t be a lot of heat build up.

matt_gsxr

posted on 4/1/11 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
From a practical perspective you need to go back to the principle of the relevant test. The 150mm and 100mm spheres represent bits of body (head and limb respectively).

I guess if it can prevent a 150mm 100kg (head on body) travelling at 30mph hitting anything that is sharp under the fabric (i.e. radius test) then I think you would have a good case with the tester.

Matt

JF

posted on 6/1/11 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
From a practical perspective you need to go back to the principle of the relevant test. The 150mm and 100mm spheres represent bits of body (head and limb respectively).

I guess if it can prevent a 150mm 100kg (head on body) travelling at 30mph hitting anything that is sharp under the fabric (i.e. radius test) then I think you would have a good case with the tester.

Matt

Interesting point of view... but then I wonder.... If that same 150mm 100kg sphere hit your average grp bodywork, not to mention light weight bodywork.... would it hold?

snuggtopz

posted on 13/1/11 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
hiya

I sew for a living in Norfolk, what you could do is sew makrolon polycarbonate into the fabric. It is often used on
boat canopies in the USA where I trained.

That way it could be light, partly fabric partly plastic.

Richard
snuggtopz.com

smart51

posted on 13/1/11 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Are you talking about thin flexible stuff like is used for soft top hoods or the rigid plastic sheets we use for side screens? It sounds like an interesting idea.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.